ERod

webbrick2010

Your source being?

"The 21-year-old, whose fastball (a pitch he?s used aggressively to both sides of the plate) has topped out at 96-97 mph in each of his starts with Portland, with flashes of a plus changeup and a slider, suffered his first loss with Portland, but after five starts, he?s 2-1 with a 0.86 ERA, 35 strikeouts (10.1 per nine innings) and just six walks (1.7 per nine) in 31 1/3 innings. He?s punched out at least seven in four of his five starts, while showing the athleticism to suggest an ability to repeat his delivery and attack the strike zone."

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2014/08/27/red-sox-minor-league-roundup-eduardo-rodriguezs-electrifying-first-impression-bryce-brentz-mashing-henry-owens-finding-his-way/

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heck, if he's throwing that hard, you'd think that he could've done the job Miller's doing now.

Sounds like this one will come back to bite us in the future. Oh well...you know the Mariners feel that way every time we play them. Of course, we don't play them as much as we play the Sux.

Heck, if he's throwing that hard, you'd think that he could've done the job Miller's doing now.

Sounds like this one will come back to bite us in the future. Oh well...you know the Mariners feel that way every time we play them. Of course, we don't play them as much as we play the Sux.

Eduardo throws 95. Unless they are doing short stints. He tops out at 95.

Regarding Werth, this organization seemed to perennially run hot and cold on various players including, at times, Werth, Loewen and many others while still part of the organization. That several other teams passed on Werth and that his success came so far AFTER the Os gave up on him makes me less concerned about the organization's ability or inability to properly appraise the talent on hand.

After letting Hader, Jake and now EdRod go in the past year, and each seeming to do much better after leaving the organization (a bit premature on EdRod), one can start to think that other teams understood the value of our players better than our FO.

Regarding Werth, this organization seemed to perennially run hot and cold on various players including, at times, Werth, Loewen and many others while still part of the organization. That several other teams passed on Werth and that his success came so far AFTER the Os gave up on him makes me less concerned about the organization's ability or inability to properly appraise the talent on hand.

After letting Hader, Jake and now EdRod go in the past year, and each seeming to do much better after leaving the organization (a bit premature on EdRod), one can start to think that other teams understood the value of our players better than our FO.

Or that we are a perennial winning team.

Or, that we were in "win now" mode and were willing to pay a pretty high price to improve our team for the stretch run. I put Arrieta in a different category than the other two because of the number of chances we had given him.

Or, that we were in "win now" mode and were willing to pay a pretty high price to improve our team for the stretch run. I put Arrieta in a different category than the other two because of the number of chances we had given him.

I would also put Arrieta in a different category, but not just for the reason stated. I'm not convinced much has change for Jake. He is really struggling right now, and his success this year, while notable, seems to be short lived in my eyes.

You don't get it? One trade happened 14 years ago and one happened a month ago. You expect to hear more about the one that happened 14 years ago. Werth was traded to the Blue Jays. The Blue Jays traded him in March of 2004 after he hadn't shown much with them. He didn't start to show anything until he got to the Dodgers that year and didn't really make a reputation for himself until he put in full seasons with the Phillies starting in 2007. So Werth was 6-7 years removed from us before he really made a name for himself. ERod was traded a month ago and his having his best 4 game stretch of the year. If he had pitched like this all year, it's safe to say that the O's wouldn't have traded him for Miller.

We were here 14 years ago. At least I was. And there wasn't this kind of outcry when he was traded. And Werth got an .853 OPS at age 22 in AA with 20 homers after the trade. How is that not showing anything? He played some in the majors the next season and did ok at age 23. How is that not at least on par with what EdRod's done? EdRod's played a few very good games, and people are going nuts. Now, if he really is hitting 97, then he is an impressive prospect, but from all accounts, he never approached that with the O's - and I'm not sure how anyone can think the O's should have seen that coming. That'd be an after the fact change in the prospect that could not have been foreseen, so you can't honestly use that in evaluating the trade.

I bet if we could dig up the threads, there was just as much discussion back then. Quite frankly, there hasn't been that much discussion about the ERod trade.

I'm pretty sure there wasn't since I remember being surprised how little disappointment there was - since he was a 1st round pick who was still very young and had produced - and the O's were in need of young talent.

There's 6 pages here and however many pages in the Miller threads on the orioles forum. And it's not just the volume of discussion - it's the passion of the discussion.

Agree to disagree. Day of the trade I said it was a steep price to pay but I didn't have a big problem with it. I think that is the general opinion. The fact that ERod is pitching his best baseball of the season, after having a very disappointing season up to this point, is what is driving this discussion.

Hey, great discussion.

I think we're missing the larger concern here.

Who cares if the trade was good or bad?

The real issue is why are pitching prospects leaving the Orioles system and becoming better elsewhere? Arrieta, ERod, etc.

I don't know. Why was Miguel Gonzalez nothing before he came to Baltimore? Why did Jeremy Guthrie go from AAA lifer to solid Major Leaguer with the O's? Why did no other team beat the O's team friendly deal for Chen? Why did Zach Britton struggle so badly with the Orioles until the Orioles straightened him out? I don't know. I got nothing.

I don't know. Why was Miguel Gonzalez nothing before he came to Baltimore? Why did Jeremy Guthrie go from AAA lifer to solid Major Leaguer with the O's? Why did no other team beat the O's team friendly deal for Chen? Why did Zach Britton struggle so badly with the Orioles until the Orioles straightened him out? I don't know. I got nothing.

It is just something to complain about. Maybe he is on to something. Maybe not.

There are definitely examples for either side of the story, I'll give you that. Absolutely.

It's just something I worry about. I think we still have work to do in the development department.

EdRod's turnaround was so abrupt it's hard to believe the Red Sox had time to change anything he was doing. He was great literally from the first game he threw after the trade.

EdRod's turnaround was so abrupt it's hard to believe the Red Sox had time to change anything he was doing. He was great literally from the first game he threw after the trade.

Maybe it woke him up. Sometimes a shock to the system is what someone needs to kick things in. I still don't see EdRod as a major loss, the Orioles got Miller who has been lights out since the trade. Teams always over value prospects and I'm glad Duquette went and got what I see as a very valuable asset for the stretch run.

I think we're missing the larger concern here.

Who cares if the trade was good or bad?

The real issue is why are pitching prospects leaving the Orioles system and becoming better elsewhere? Arrieta, ERod, etc.

I'd be interested in knowing who all the "etc'" pitching prospects were who left and got better? I'm honestly drawing a blank.

Archived