ERod

webbrick2010

Ed Rod didn't suddenly turn into a #1/2 prospect pitcher. The scouting report isn't much different than it was before. He's basically a 2 pitch guy, with a fringy 3rd pitch. His FB might be a tick or two higher, but neither of his 2 pitches are at the level of Gausman's top 2, for example.

He's a #3/4 starter at the ML level, IMO. Valuable, yes, but not likely irreplaceable and certainly not similar to a prospect like Hanley Ramirez.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not like Rodriguez wasn't a top pitching prospect before this year. He even had 3-4 really good games (like the ones he had after we traded him) to end the season at Bowie last year. He closed the season well at Bowie last year. He did not pitch well in the Arizona Fall League. He looked poor in ST. He had a very mediocre, inconsistent season up until the time of the trade. Who knows? Maybe it's a coincidence. Maybe he got the kick in the butt he needed. Brandon McCarthy had a 5+ ERA with Arizona and is something like 2.5 for the Yanks. Stuff happens. Let's see how he does next year. Let's see what kind of ML career he has.

It was a steep price to pay for a rental. I do disagree with Frobby. Yeah, our bullpen was solid before Miller but now the back end is elite with Miller in it. Ball games have been shortened by one inning. It's only one inning but one inning is big.

I don't disagree with your assessment of Rodriguez. He's a good prospect, but he's no Bundy or Gausman. Just a guy with a pretty decent chance to be a MOR starter, or a back-end guy, or a solid reliever. And, as I've said multiple times, I like Miller and what he's doing for our bullpen. I still don't like the tradeoff, though, knowing that our bullpen was pretty good already and that Miller is only here for two months plus the postseason. At this point, I'm just hoping we get deep into the playoffs and that Miller plays a significant role in our doing so. That would make me feel a bit better about the short-term tradeoff we made.

You posted that a prospect's performance post-trade is not something that should be used in evaluating a trade. I don't understand that.

Maybe EdRod ate some magic beans to gain some additional mph on his fastball .... That our FO/minor league coaches should not be responsible for whatever has happened to make EdRod look like an excellent pitching prospect is not an appropriate conclusion for me.

I'm not sure if you're arguing for the sake of arguing, but I'll bite. AGAIN, it's understandable that you could disagree, and it is not understandable that you don't understand the logic. Sometimes players don't develop how you should expect them to - based on the available data, but you make best guesses based on the available data at a given point in time - which was when the trade was made. End of discussion I hope. It's time to enjoy the team and not search out reasons to whine.

I'm not sure if you're arguing for the sake of arguing, but I'll bite. AGAIN, it's understandable that you could disagree, and it is not understandable that you don't understand the logic. Sometimes players don't develop how you should expect them to - based on the available data, but you make best guesses based on the available data at a given point in time - which was when the trade was made. End of discussion I hope. It's time to enjoy the team and not search out reasons to whine.

I have too much respect for the OH and its posters (and my time) to argue for the sake of arguing. Sorry you might think that.

Decisions are indeed made with the information at hand. We can agree on that. IMO, something was wrong at some point in the information gathering or negotiating process for a prospect to appear to be so much more valuable immediately after a trade.

I can see you are done here. Mid you want to talk more off-line, that's fine.

I have too much respect for the OH and its posters (and my time) to argue for the sake of arguing. Sorry you might think that.

Decisions are indeed made with the information at hand. We can agree on that. IMO, something was wrong at some point in the information gathering or negotiating process for a prospect to appear to be so much more valuable immediately after a trade.

I can see you are done here. Mid you want to talk more off-line, that's fine.

Fair enough. I retract the comment I made. I respect your view but just disagree in this case.

Archived