ERod

webbrick2010

First of all, it ticks me off that EdRod is choosing NOW to do his best pitching of the season.

Second, I didn't like this trade when we made it, although I do like Miller and what he adds to our pen. For me, this trade is only worth it if Miller pitches well AND we win the division AND he helps us advance at least one round in the playoffs. For me, rentals are only good if you actually accomplish something with their help that you otherwise might not have accomplished. EdRod was a valuable asset to give up for two months of a very good setup man.

I'm still not convinced Ed Rod will ever be anything more than a #5......if that.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm still not convinced Ed Rod will ever be anything more than a #5......if that.

You may be right. I'm certainly no scout. I just evaluate players based on what scouts have said and what I can glean from stats. EdRod hadn't been stellar for us this season but he was rounding into form and I think the basic talent is there.

Wonder if his lack of development in our system is the result of the system in general?? Seems strange that he goes to another system noted for developing pitchers and excells. What is wrong with our system that only seems to produce sore arms and disappointments???:cool:

This same system has produced:

Tillman

Britton

Gausman

Something Syd Thrift said. OMG, he actually said something worth repeating. He was talking baseball in general and not just the Orioles.

For every 10 pitching prospects in your minor league system, less than 3 will ever find their way to the big leagues.

Wonder if his lack of development in our system is the result of the system in general?? Seems strange that he goes to another system noted for developing pitchers and excells. What is wrong with our system that only seems to produce sore arms and disappointments???:cool:

No. This is not even close to true.

That's not a great record of production and FYI Tillman came via a trade. Britton showed little until this year and now seems relegated to a relief role. Gausman shows potential and he should: he was a #3 pick in the country. With all due respect, still feel the Orioles' record for developing young pitching is absymal at best. Just my two cents.:cool:

I'm not saying our farm system is necessarily adept at grooming pitchers, but Tillman was in A ball when we acquired him. I would definitely call him a "product" of our system.

Before we got him he was ranked 67 by BA and 44 by BP

Prospect Ratings by Baseball America:

Pre-2008: Rated #67 Prospect

Pre-2009: Rated #22 Prospect

Prospect Ratings by BaseballProspectus.com:

Pre-2008: Rated #44 Prospect

Pre-2009: Rated #16 Prospect

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=tillma001chr

And the year after we got Tillman he really shot up in the rankings after a great year at Bowie.

Statistically speaking: Tillman was one of eight full-season pitchers to finish with a K/9 rate over 10 (10.22). He was second in the Eastern League -- and among all Double-A pitchers -- in Ks and fifth in ERA (eighth among all Double-A pitchers). His .227 batting average against was also second best in Double-A ball.

Scouting report: He's a big, projectable right-hander with a fastball that runs up to 94 mph and sits comfortably in the low 90s. Also has an above-average curve and a changeup -- which has a chance, but lags behind his other two pitches. Has good mechanics and mound presence and keeps the ball down in the zone.

Upside potential: Has a chance to be a top-of-the-rotation type. At worst, he should become a workhorse in the middle of a big-league rotation soon.

They said it: "I scouted him as an amateur. He was a wonderful acquisition for us in that trade. He's got a little bit of the 'it' factor. He's got an intangible he draws from. He's a quiet, confident guy. He knows how to pitch. He's going to have to continue to develop his changeup. The fact he had the success he had without using it as much as I think he needed to, that's encouraging, but he'll have to improve on that." -- Joe Jordan, Orioles scouting director

He said it: "I knew once I got my feet under me I knew I would be fine. I am not surprised. I have my feet under me now." -- From a June Baseball America stor

from http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/prospects/y2009/profile.jsp?t=p_top&pid=501957

Definitely would not call him a "Throw-in" Glad we have him!

He's pitched two games. Most organizations don't do much tinkering when they get a new player, especially one acquired in the middle of the year. E-rod had a couple nice starts. He had a couple nice starts for the Baysox this year as well. Tillman, Britton and Gausman would disagree with your statement as well. E-rod was a nice guy to have in your system, but he has flaws. There's a chance he could end up a mid-rotaiton starter, but he has a ways to go and there's a chance he may never turn into an effective big league player.

The orioles on the other hand were able to acquire a 3rd lock down reliever for their pen. I liked the trade when it happened, and I like it now no matter what E-Rod turns into. You have to be willing to take on risk to be a successful GM, and Duquette is not risk adverse. He's always trying to improve his team and he uses his minor leaguers as the commodities that they are.

Before we got him he was ranked 67 by BA and 44 by BP

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=tillma001chr

And the year after we got Tillman he really shot up in the rankings after a great year at Bowie.

from http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/prospects/y2009/profile.jsp?t=p_top&pid=501957

Definitely would not call him a "Throw-in" Glad we have him!

Yeah, Tillman was already a big-time prospect when the O's got him. The O's further developed him. It depends on your point of view if you want to call him a product of the O's system.

I've noticed there's a psychology in whether a trade stings for people - and it applies to me. If I didn't like the trade at the time, it'll sting if the young player traded away does well. But if I'm totally for the trade, I don't care how our former prospect does.

I liked the EdRod trade, so I don't really care so much how he does - more power to him (other than he'll do it with Boston). But I hated trading Josh Hader last year, and it does sting when I see him do exceedingly well for his age (better than EdRod, btw).

He's pitched two games. Most organizations don't do much tinkering when they get a new player, especially one acquired in the middle of the year. E-rod had a couple nice starts. He had a couple nice starts for the Baysox this year as well. Tillman, Britton and Gausman would disagree with your statement as well. E-rod was a nice guy to have in your system, but he has flaws. There's a chance he could end up a mid-rotaiton starter, but he has a ways to go and there's a chance he may never turn into an effective big league player.

The orioles on the other hand were able to acquire a 3rd lock down reliever for their pen. I liked the trade when it happened, and I like it now no matter what E-Rod turns into. You have to be willing to take on risk to be a successful GM, and Duquette is not risk adverse. He's always trying to improve his team and he uses his minor leaguers as the commodities that they are.

I agree with this, exactly. The pleasure of watching Andrew Miller right now this year is well worth anything that ERod might become down the road. He is a force, a real force out there, an intimidating presence. We want to win now, this year, 2014.

Sounds right on to me.

Archived