The Unbeatable Record

Camden_yardbird

Disregarding the absurd pitching records from the early years of baseball that really have no relevance now, an interesting record that is relatively new that is almost untouchable now (and actually has some significance) is Nolan Ryan's strikeout record.

At 5,714, almost 1,000 more than the next person, it is considered to be part of a "perfect storm" of eras where pitchers were still pitching more games and more innings, and pitchers were chasing huge strikeout payloads as opposed to focusing on getting the ball in play.

I'd also say that a lot of the steroid era offensive records will never be broken until there are significant rule changes to the game.

Unless something causes teams to go back to a four man rotation, it really can't happen.

I have a ball that was signed to me by Cuellar, McNally, Palmer and Dobson the weekend that three of the four won their twentieth game. I didn't know much about keeping the ball preserved, so the signatures are a bit faded, but still legible.

The 1998 Braves team had five sixteen game winners, which I'd consider an equivalent feat in today's game.

That was my thinking as well. There's really no way, without going back to a 4 man rotation. Unless maybe you had the most prolific offense and rotation in history with the starters getting the decision in nearly every start.

That was my thinking as well. There's really no way, without going back to a 4 man rotation. Unless maybe you had the most prolific offense and rotation in history with the starters getting the decision in nearly every start.

It'd still take an awful lot of winning. The 116-win 2001 Mariners managed to produce starters with 20, 18, 17 and 15 wins, which is pretty darn impressive, but still not close.

It'd still take an awful lot of winning. The 116-win 2001 Mariners managed to produce starters with 20, 18, 17 and 15 wins, which is pretty darn impressive, but still not close.

The 1986 Mets won 108 games, and the closest that they came was 18, 17, 16, and 15"

Bob OjedaO 18-6

Dwight GoodenO 17-6

Sid FernandezO 16-6

Ron DarlingO 15-5

O

# 5 starter Rick Aguilera won 10 games, going 10-7 in 20 starts (plus 8 relief appearances) that season.

Although reliever Roger McDowell won 14 games (14-9) AND had 22 saves out of the bullpen. :eektf:

Reliever Jesse Orosco won 8 games (8-6) AND had 21 saves out of the bullpen, also.

That team REALLY spread the wins (and the saves) around that season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYM/1986.shtml

How about for futility? Well, not really. Pete Rose holds the record for most outs in ML history with 10,328 while playing from 1963-1986. That's 24 years of baseball. Unlikely anyone plays that long. Pete also ended up with more walks than SO. Not too many guys can say that any more.

Oh, btw Hank Aaron is second on the list.

That's what I'm saying, the starters would have to get like all of the decisions, with the bullpen getting very few. Because the rotation just doesn't start the amount of games that they used to.

Four 20 games winners in one rotation, is just not going to happen. The 20 game winner overall is just a thing of the past.

2014 - There are 7 guys tied with 13 wins right now...that projects to about 18 wins

In the 15 years prior:

2013 - There was only one 20 game winner

2012 - There were 4

2011 - There were 3

2010 - There were 3

2009 - There were 0

2008 - There were 4

2007 - There was 1

2006 - There were 0

2005 - There were 4

2004 - There were 3

2003 - There were 5

2002 - There were 6

2001 - There were 7

2000 - There were 4

1999 - There were 3

That's an average of 3.2, 20 game winners per season...in all of baseball. In 1971, there were 14 pitchers that won 20 games. Unless something changes with the way teams do starting rotations, I don't see how there could ever be 4 20 game winners in one rotation ever again.

• 6 months later...

Archived