** Magic Number **

hutchead

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These calculations are as of prior to tonight's games. Some interesting things: The overall lowest Magic number in the AL is for the A's to secure a Wild Card (WC) and is 35. The Orioles number to clinch the division is lower than a WC spot 36 vs. 39. Hopefully the format is OK with this. If not I will try to fix over time. It is a little complicated this early in the season but will make sense as games are completed the next 3 weeks. Last WC spot is Detroit and they are the last column #s

Team ----- Baltimore's Magic # vs each team ---- # for WC each team-----Eliminated #

Baltimore ------------------------------------------------ 39

Toronto ------------------ 35 ------------------------ 46 ------------------- 39

NY ----------------------- 36 -------------------------- 48 ----------------- 40

Tampa ---------------------33 -------------------------- 49 ------------------- 37

Boston -------------------- 29 -------------------------------------------------- 33

KC ------------------------40 ------------------------- 42

Detroit --------------------40 ------------------------ 43

Cleveland------------------34 ------------------------- 49 ------------------ 38

Chicago--------------------30 ------------------------------------------------- 34

Minn. ----------------------29 ------------------------------------------------- 33

A's -------------------------46 ----------------------------35

LA -------------------------45 ----------------------------38

Seattle -------------------39 ---------------------------44 ------------------- 43

Houston -------------------22 -------------------------------------------------- 26

Texas----------------------20 -------------------------------------------------- 24

Hope this makes sense on where we are and where the rest of the AL is against each other. I put everybody in to avoid the Jinx issues for the Orioles. I think if updating it daily it should be done in the am. I will do my best. I am away in the Dominican Republic for 5 days around Labor Day so internet access may be spotty then. Feel free to do yourselves if interested.

This thread is my saving grace on days like today and maybe for some other similar days. We lose' date=' but Toronto and NY loses and so our magic number decreases. We must now go 35-7 the rest of the way.[/quote']

Actually, that doesn't take into account that those 35 games will include many against the teams directly below us.

Archived