Chris Davis tested positive for amphetamines. (25 Game Ban)

OriolesManiac88

Why did he do it?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why did he do it?

• ADHD
    • Performance

Having read that from Davis this is my read:

Had been taking it, stopped taking it when he didn't get the exemption. Had the worst year in forever, got scared/ desperate, started taking again.

Stupid move there, Chet. He gambled and lost.

At least he is taking it and just getting on with it.

The fact that he didn't apply for the exemption, if true, seems very telling to me.

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, I can't relate.

I don't see how you reach for that bottle after you already tested positive and are being subjected to increased testing.

You will never know what is going through his head. Perhaps you have never been in a situation where you know the risk is high but it is worth it for the future of your career.

Having read that from Davis this is my read:

Had been taking it, stopped taking it when he didn't get the exemption. Had the worst year in forever, got scared/ desperate, started taking again.

Stupid move there, Chet. He gambled and lost.

At least he is taking it and just getting on with it.

Yea only good thing you can say about it is he manned up with NO BS.

Is it possible they pulled the plug on him due to that MONSTER YEAR?

Read an article that said in 2011, 1 in 10 MLB players had an exemption for Adderall. ONE IN TEN!!!! That's preposterous!

Here's the article...

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/Adderall-MLBs-latest-performance-enhancing-drug.html

While so much is still unknown, it's at least possible to believe that, yes, MLB did in fact retract Davis's exemption due in part to his year last season. The point being that they were worried about having another PED issue on their hands...

Is it possible they pulled the plug on him due to that MONSTER YEAR?

Frobby alluded to this a little earlier and I think I agree. I think it is plausible that after what Davis did last season they decided to take a much closer look at Davis' exemption. If this is the case it may be possible that their doctors decided that Davis' prior exemption was unwarranted.

If this is the case, I like it. Not for us O's fans of course but for MLB.

https://twitter.com/danconnollysun/status/510462563097010176

My guess is that Chris Davis, king of anti-steroid morality, felt guilty about using Adderall in the past and decided to go without this season. Then when he struggled he changed his mind.

That's an interesting tweet considering that earlier in this thread there was a source saying Davis applied for the exemption and it was rejected. Wonder if/when we'll find out for sure.

The fact that he didn't apply for the exemption, if true, seems very telling to me.

That he stopped taking it, struggled like hell, and got scared?

Yeah, I buy that.

He probably didn't believe it had any real impact on his game - but then when he struggled like he did, well here we are.

I accept his apology. He made a mistake and owned up to it, and is taking his punishment.

If there's one thing that this year has taught us, it's that PED use is bad, but there are far, far worse things an athlete can do. I hope the O's bring him back next year and frankly it would be hugely hypocritical for them to non-tender him (as some are suggesting) after they signed Cruz.

I'm disappointed but not angry. Let's be realistic about the climate in baseball. It's going to take some more time for some of these guys to get the message about using this stuff. Maybe Chris got a bit too comfortable with using the Adderal since he was authorized to use it in the past. Not an excuse, but it is understandable. He definitely made a mistake, but let's not form a lynch mob please.

like an athlete that beats his girlfriend. I am disappointed in Chris.

If only he had checked to see if Adderal is banned.

25 GAMES FOR ADDERALL is absolutely ridiculous.

He should appeal! This is just plain stupid. MLB is overreaching.

MSK

even more stupid is taking a substance that you know is banned. even more stupid than taking that substance is failing a test, and then CONTINUING to take said banned substance.

Im sick to death of cheaters, even Oriole cheaters.At this point in the PED era or "post" era, this is a CHOICE that Davis made with impunity.Im very disappointed in him and his decision to cheat and I wonder if the PED substance he used contributed to his "monster" season last year.He may have used more or something different than what he used this year, but the fact that he STILL used it even after being told he can't by MLB is arrogance, and a lack of respect for the rules. I don't even care if we re-sign him again.I wouldn't.

I assume you don't want Cruz back?

Archived