Orioles working on Markakis extension as well

xian4

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> aren't done after signing Hardy. Latest on extension talks with Nelson Cruz and Nick Markakis: <a href="http://t.co/m5Koyflms9">http://t.co/m5Koyflms9</a></p>— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) <a href="

">October 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Peter getting his checkbook out!!!!!

Is this rare to be talking about contracts in the middle of the playoffs? I don't remember any big names signing contracts in the middle of a run but maybe it's just because the O's haven't had been in this situation.

I was going to ask this too. Seems like very unusual timing on all this. Though in fairness I'm used to being well into the offseason by now!

Peter getting his checkbook out!!!!!

Is this rare to be talking about contracts in the middle of the playoffs? I don't remember any big names signing contracts in the middle of a run but maybe it's just because the O's haven't had been in this situation.

Yeah...definitely odd indeed.

I don't think there will be any 20 mill a year deals. Nor 8 year ones for that matter.
I think there's a big difference in the size of contracts being given out.

In both cases the teams are apparently happy to extend current players on the wrong side of 30, locking them into contracts that the team can't get out of.

Both Nick and Hardy are going to be essentially untradable a year into these deals.

In both cases the teams are apparently happy to extend current players on the wrong side of 30, locking them into contracts that the team can't get out of.

Both Nick and Hardy are going to be essentially untradable a year into these deals.

Rollins was two years older when he signed his current deal, and the deal is one year longer (not counting the vesting option in Hardy's deal)

Cruz, IF he signs, won't get anything close to what Howard got in years or dollars - plus we can DH him to help him stay healthy and the Phillies can't do that w/ Howard.

I'm not sure who on their team would be similar to Nick in this scenario; but we also have no idea what the parameters of a deal there would be anyway.

We don't have a player comparable to the Papelbon deal - if we sign Miller to a 5 yr $50 million deal I'll give you this one ;)

I think the contracts being discussed are reasonable deals, and if the player is looking for more, they won't be signed anyway.

With the caveat that "this is a business", I fully expect Markakis to stick around. With his children, he is pretty entrenched in the community. So long as he is given a respectable salary (7mm?), he will be here next year.

With the caveat that "this is a business", I fully expect Markakis to stick around. With his children, he is pretty entrenched in the community. So long as he is given a respectable salary (7mm?), he will be here next year.

How often does that happen in baseball? Where a guy takes a substantial pay cut to stay in a particular city rather then test the open market.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Markakis called Hardy "everything you would want" in a player. Said his agent has had no talks w the Os on an extension right now.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="
">October 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Orioles will know how much it takes to keep Nick in Baltimore and I expect any deal would be agreed pretty quickly.

Archived