Will Markakis sign with the O's before the FA signing begin? (Option Declined)

wildcard

Will Markakis resign with the O's before he is eligible to sign with other clubx?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Will Markakis resign with the O's before he is eligible to sign with other clubx?

• Yes, Nick will resign with the O's before he is eligible to sigin with other clubs.
    • No, will not resign with the O's at all
    • No, Nick will not resign with the O's before he can sign with other clubs

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't touch that contract. I think I'm against signing Markakis, period. For sure, I'd be very unhappy with a 3/30 or 4/40 contract. This is one position where we can save money and, I believe, replace it with the cheaper Lough and/or Pearce.

We can save money at this position. But at 3/30, if its 7 million, 9 million, 14 million for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year I'm not sure the team is saving much money with an alternative that is likely to provide similar productivity. De Aza might make almost that much money over the next 3 years (different contract situation obviously). And Nick is a more consistent player then the other options I see out there.

But 3/30 or 4/40 is my max for Nick. The contract would have to be very team friendly at these numbers vis-a-vis option years, deferred money, what have you.

I think there is much more money to be saved by letting Chris Davis go...but that's another thread :)

I'm not advocating Colby Rasmus. However, I'll take issue with the team leader. Sure, Nick is A team leader. So is Hardy. So is Jones. So is Wieters. So was Cruz. What exactly does it mean except that he's a steady player who sets a good example and goes out and does his job. Nelson Cruz was here for one season and seemed like a guy that Machado and Schoop bonded with and who all of the other players accepted as well. It's anyone's guess what kind of leadership Nick provides but is it really the leading kind?
You forget the "he's a good guy" part.
He is a good guy. :)

David Lough and Steve Pearce seem like good guys too.

My point was to contrast Nick with Colby Rasmus. Have you not noticed that Buck cares a lot about the makeup of his clubhouse? Subtracting Nick is one thing, replacing him with Rasmus is something else. It's not going to happen.

My point was to contrast Nick with Colby Rasmus. Have you not noticed that Buck cares a lot about the makeup of his clubhouse? Subtracting Nick is one thing, replacing him with Rasmus is something else. It's not going to happen.

Besides being one very ugly dude, what exactly is so bad about Colby Rasmus? I recall he had some issues with Larussa about playing time and said some stuff after he was traded. La Russa has a reputation as a jackass if you ask me.

IIRC, Colby was ready to basically retire a year ago because he wasn't enjoying the game. There's an article out there somewhere about it. He's got some issues. I don't think he's a bad dude. I'm not particularly fond of his overall game, though.

I'd be interested in a cheap flyer only. You'll likely get something mediocre, but there is the chance you get his 2013.

IIRC, Colby was ready to basically retire a year ago because he wasn't enjoying the game. There's an article out there somewhere about it. He's got some issues.

So, he was thinking about retiring and passing on millions of dollars because he wasn't enjoying the game (probably because of injuries).

I don't think he's a bad dude.

Yeah, I'm gonna need more than that and his issues with Larussa to convince me he is. Maybe he's not the quiet little choir boy Nick is, so what. I don't see how that affects the team.

I'm not particularly fond of his overall game, though.

He's been erratic. I think Rasmus has got a lot of upside if healthy. Certainly more than Nick. Should be a very good/plus defender in the corner OF.

So, he was thinking about retiring and passing on millions of dollars because he wasn't enjoying the game (probably because of injuries).

Yeah, I'm gonna need more than that and his issues with Larussa to convince me he is.

He's been erratic. I think Rasmus has got a lot of upside if healthy. Certainly more than Nick. Should be a very good/plus defender in the corner OF.

We're on the same page. There is upside and I think he will get an uptick on defense playing in a corner. I'd be very interested if he comes cheap. I'd certainly rather Rasmus on a 1 year deal than Nick on 3 or 4.

What about a guy like Francour? I realize he has had trouble finding a landing spot on a team and also in the majors due to his inconsistencies at the plate. He is only 30 years old and has a lot of power potential. He is a free agent and would probably sign for a cheap deal to try and prove himself again. You never know, we could catch lightning in a bottle with him. Kinda like Mcclouth that first year he was with us.

We're on the same page. There is upside and I think he will get an uptick on defense playing in a corner. I'd be very interested if he comes cheap. I'd certainly rather Rasmus on a 1 year deal than Nick on 3 or 4.

Agreed. Besides the injury issues, the other thing that concerns me is the LHP splits along with De Aza's struggles against LHP last year.

Agreed. Besides the injury issues, the other thing that concerns me is the LHP splits along with De Aza's struggles against LHP last year.

Short side platoon mates aren't hard to find. Danny Valencias and pre-2014 Steve Pearces are out there for peanuts.

Archived