Will Markakis sign with the O's before the FA signing begin? (Option Declined)

wildcard

Will Markakis resign with the O's before he is eligible to sign with other clubx?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Will Markakis resign with the O's before he is eligible to sign with other clubx?

• Yes, Nick will resign with the O's before he is eligible to sigin with other clubs.
    • No, will not resign with the O's at all
    • No, Nick will not resign with the O's before he can sign with other clubs

for peanuts, and great for teams, just trying to get a decent team together.

Now, is the time to tweek the lineup and make it into a championship caliber lineup.

Yes, good teams never use platoons.... Are you saying that Nick Markakis on 3 or 4 year deal is championship caliber but a Rasmus/RH platoon for 1 year isn't?

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Besides being one very ugly dude, what exactly is so bad about Colby Rasmus? I recall he had some issues with Larussa about playing time and said some stuff after he was traded. La Russa has a reputation as a jackass if you ask me.

I recall reading that it was more than LaRussa. Pujols was vocal about getting him off the team.

I don't know what his market is, but I would not want to give him a multi-year deal. He's too inconsistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, good teams never use platoons.... Are you saying that Nick Markakis on 3 or 4 year deal is championship caliber but a Rasmus/RH platoon for 1 year isn't?

Exactly, Too many platoons situations can be a problem, but yeah I agree. Remember when people were complaining about the idea Pearce platooning in LF was a horrible idea.

The "head case" referenced in that article is referring to his on field struggles at the time. Nothing about hem being a jerk. The gist of the article is about regretting trading low on him.

Colby Rasmus issues in St Louis with Tony LaRussa were primarily related to his father. Tony Rasmus has always been involved with coaching Colby and this led to a lot of issues with the Cardinals. I don't think Buck would be too happy about a player listening to his father about hitting more than the hitting coach. A normal person may be humbled that Rasmus has not become the star he was supposed to be, but I think Tony Rasmus' ego is much to big for that.

I will defer to DD on the makeup of the roster.

My beliefs, if you replace Nick with two platoon players, then the team is taking a step backwards.

I believe MLBTR said Nick was ranked 9th in outfielders this past season, even with his reduced power.

What about a guy like Francour? I realize he has had trouble finding a landing spot on a team and also in the majors due to his inconsistencies at the plate. He is only 30 years old and has a lot of power potential. He is a free agent and would probably sign for a cheap deal to try and prove himself again. You never know, we could catch lightning in a bottle with him. Kinda like Mcclouth that first year he was with us.

At this point, Francoeur is a better pitcher than he is a hitter. 3.68 ERA in 8 games for Triple-A El Paso last year.

My beliefs, if you replace Nick with two platoon players, then the team is taking a step backwards.

I believe MLBTR said Nick was ranked 9th in outfielders this past season, even with his reduced power.

Without looking it up, I can guarantee that no one is going to consider Markakis the 9th best outfielder this past season.

To me it is all about value, if you get 90% of the production by platooning and use the money that is saved by not signing Markakis, to obtain additional player(s) at other positions(s) that are better value, it is a step forward.

Without looking it up, I can guarantee that no one is going to consider Markakis the 9th best outfielder this past season.

To me it is all about value, if you get 90% of the production by platooning and use the money that is saved by not signing Markakis, to obtain additional player(s) at other positions(s) that are better value, it is a step forward.

The team was how many games over .500 and best record since 79?

This was with Nick leading off and holding down RF on most of those games.

I don't know where they'd be pulling that from. He was 47th among outfielders in fWAR, and lower by rWAR. Nick Markakis is an average starter, we have adequate cheaper replacements in house and the Rasmus idea is a cheap alternative with big upside potential. Rasmus was worth 4.8 fWAR in 2013. He'd be worth a flyer and if he flopped we still have Lough and De Aza available. There is no reason to bring Markakis back at any significant cost.

I don't know where they'd be pulling that from. He was 47th among outfielders in fWAR, and lower by rWAR. Nick Markakis is an average starter, we have adequate cheaper replacements in house and the Rasmus idea is a cheap alternative with big upside potential. Rasmus was worth 4.8 fWAR in 2013. He'd be worth a flyer and if he flopped we still have Lough and De Aza available. There is no reason to bring Markakis back at any significant cost.

How cheap do you think Rasmus would be? He made $7M last season.

How cheap do you think Rasmus would be? He made $7M last season.

That was in his final year of arbitration, coming off of a very good 2013. He's a free agent now, coming off an injury plagued down year. I'm not exactly sure what he will get, the market is very thin for center fielders and a lot of teams will be interested. I'd be interested on a 1 year deal. Ultimately, I think he ends up getting a better deal than I'd be interested in anyway.

There is no reason to bring Markakis back at any significant cost.

I guess this hinges on the meaning of "significant" but I think there is value in durability, loyalty, fitting into the clubhouse, a batting style the compliments the others on the roster, etc. Not many millions a year, but something.

Having said that, teams do need to be very careful to not turn average players into irreplaceable leaders.

Archived