Will Markakis sign with the O's before the FA signing begin? (Option Declined)

wildcard

Will Markakis resign with the O's before he is eligible to sign with other clubx?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Will Markakis resign with the O's before he is eligible to sign with other clubx?

• Yes, Nick will resign with the O's before he is eligible to sigin with other clubs.
    • No, will not resign with the O's at all
    • No, Nick will not resign with the O's before he can sign with other clubs

Which is the better OF: De Aza/Gomes, Jones, Pearce/Lough, or De Aza/Pearce, Jones and Nick?

There's a lot of overlap there. #1 is cheaper, and gives you more flexibility. Nick will be in the lineup every day he's healthy, no matter the performance. If someone like Lough or De Aza slumps you sit him, if it's late in the game you can sit a Gomes for a better glove. Nick has less susceptibility to platoon exploitation - if someone like Lough slumps or is hurt you're playing the short side of the platoon all the time, which might get ugly. We saw the equivalent of De Aza leading off against lefties when McLouth was here.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a lot of overlap there. #1 is cheaper, and gives you more flexibility. Nick will be in the lineup every day he's healthy, no matter the performance. If someone like Lough or De Aza slumps you sit him, if it's late in the game you can sit a Gomes for a better glove. Nick has less susceptibility to platoon exploitation - if someone like Lough slumps or is hurt you're playing the short side of the platoon all the time, which might get ugly. We saw the equivalent of De Aza leading off against lefties when McLouth was here.
So what are you saying, it's a wash?

Here is Roch's take on Nick:

I.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/10/decisions-looming-on-key-contributors.html

Maybe it will not be complicated but if they don't agree on the number of years it could be. With Nick's production over the last two years DD may not want to go three or four years. On Nick's side the FA market may offer him 3 or 4 years. That could complicate things.

The fact that Nick is a 10-and-5 guy after next season weighs against the Orioles giving him a contract that is too long. I don't see any way the O's will give him more than 3 years. Hardy got 3 with a vesting option, but he has been much more valuable over the last few years than Nick has been.

The fact that Nick is a 10-and-5 guy after next season weighs against the Orioles giving him a contract that is too long. I don't see any way the O's will give him more than 3 years. Hardy got 3 with a vesting option, but he has been much more valuable over the last few years than Nick has been.

Is a 4th year enough to get him to start over somewhere else? TBD, I guess. I think he and Hardy could be on similar contracts, but that's only because of Nick's popularity/reputation within the organization. Hardy's by far the more productive player.

Is a 4th year enough to get him to start over somewhere else? TBD, I guess. I think he and Hardy could be on similar contracts, but that's only because of Nick's popularity/reputation within the organization. Hardy's by far the more productive player.
How about 3/27 with a club option for the fourth and a 3M buyout. That way he is guaranteed 3/30M and can get 4 years if he produces.

How about 3/27 with a club option for the fourth and a 3M buyout. That way he is guaranteed 3/30M and can get 4 years if he produces.

I mean, I'd be happy with that as a fan. But will that cut it for Nick? IDK. I suspect that's in the neighborhood of what he might want, but you have to remember, he has - at this moment - $17.5M dangling in front of him for just 2015. To not even double that and spread it out over four years might not sound that appealing to him. However, if that option isn't picked up, and it sounds like it won't be, that's not his market anymore, and he wouldn't get that on the FA market, either.

This has been an interesting poll. 47.5% believe that Nick will sign with the O's before other club's can sign him. But over half, 52.5% believe he hits the market. Pretty even split on a long term Oriole.

Of the posters who like he will hit the market half say he stay and half say he leaves.

I guess this means on the whole anything can and probably will happen with Nick going forward.

The projects being made that Nick gets between 3/39 and 4/48 by MLBTR, if true, make it more likely that the O's make a QO IMO. Especially if that offer allows DD to cut a year off of Nick's contract. That would be desirable to DD I would think.

It looks like a close call all around.

Nick has been hitting leadoff by default. There just is nobody on the roster that would be as good as him in the lead off spot. To me, he is a perfect #2 hitter. We need a legit leadoff man, and imo we also need to make every effort to resign Nick. This board does not appreciate what a solid all around player he is, because we all thought he was going to be a superstar. He is not. He should not be paid like one either, and he has been overpaid. But he is the toughest out on the team, the best OBP man we have. What we really need is a good high OBP leadoff hitter with some wheels and drop Nick down to the two hole. And we have to drop Adam Jones down to the 5 spot.

I actually really like your idea of moving Jones to #5. That's a great spot for him. And maybe you're right about Markakis at 2 as he could prove valuable in that position. That could solve a lot. De Aza possibly leading off and Machado at 3. Hmmm...hadn't contemplated that. Good stuff.

I can't see anyone giving him 4. He's not that fast and getting older. I'd be surprised.

I find this funny. I just have a hard time seeing a bidding war for Nick Markakis' services. He will be signed to a contract that, hopefully, will considered team friendly but whatever it is I doubt that another team would have paid more.

Not sure there will be a bidding war, but several teams will be interested in Nick, as MLBTR said, there is a real lack of quality OF on the market. which will make some teams take a harder look at Nick.

Archived