Fangraphs crowdsourcing: Markakis 3/$33 mm, Cruz 3/$45 mm, Miller 3/$24 mm

Frobby

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would QO Cruz and let him leave, let Miller leave, give Markakis the 3/33ish.

I am pretty confident 3/33 for Markakis ends up being a better value deal than 3/45 for Cruz.

Why can't we just go deep and sign all three? They said they plan on opening up the checkbook. Let's ball out and go win a championship! With a fully healthy team as well.

Why can't we just go deep and sign all three? They said they plan on opening up the checkbook. Let's ball out and go win a championship! With a fully healthy team as well.

While that would be great in a fantasy world, the Orioles likely don't have the money or financial security long term (because of the questions about the MASN deal) to commit that much long term money to players.

Because the most likely case is that none of those three plays as well in 2015 as they did in 2014? And that they continue to decline over the courses of their contracts.

There are some other interesting predictions here.

Russell Martin, 4/$56 mm.

I wouldn't touch that with a 38-and-a-half foot pole. 31-year-old catcher with a about a 50 point BABIP spike. He's good, but good chance he goes back to hitting .211 next year.

And Headley is probably going to get paid, in part, on bouncing back to a couple years ago. When he's another guy who's over 30 and basically an average hitter with a good glove. He's kind of Manny with all of his upside in the past.

With Koji getting 2/18, I think 3/30 is the absolute floor for Miller at this point. Can anyone see him getting paid less than Koji?

I think he is why Koji got 2/18. The playoff this year certainly made the idea of a strong bullpen important.

With Koji getting 2/18, I think 3/30 is the absolute floor for Miller at this point. Can anyone see him getting paid less than Koji?

Koji is older but has a longer track record of success. I think Miller will get a 3rd year but I still think people are overestimating how much money he is going to get. I could easily be wrong and it only takes one team to make a ridiculous offer but he seems really risky on a long term deal after one ridiculous season.

Koji is older but has a longer track record of success. I think Miller will get a 3rd year but I still think people are overestimating how much money he is going to get. I could easily be wrong and it only takes one team to make a ridiculous offer but he seems really risky on a long term deal after one ridiculous season.

Koji was older. And bad. He is not a devastating weapon, he is a strike throwing master of deception. Two years? At top of the market money? It's gonna be a heyday for top relieves after this year's post season. Especially power arms.

Miller's audition for the Tigers went very well, and no team needs him more. They have to be the frontrunners at this point.

Koji was older. And bad. He is not a devastating weapon, he is a strike throwing master of deception. Two years? At top of the market money? It's gonna be a heyday for top relieves after this year's post season. Especially power arms.

You and I must have very different definitions of bad.

If a 40 year-old Koji Uehara deserves a higher AAV than a 30 year-old Andrew Miller then everything I know about baseball is wrong.

Archived