Fangraphs crowdsourcing: Markakis 3/$33 mm, Cruz 3/$45 mm, Miller 3/$24 mm

Frobby

His shoulder.

Plenty of other reasons but mostly his shoulder.

Ah, OK. I didn't know there were remaining concerns with the shoulder. He did come into ST last year as a starter, so I assumed that they considered him physically capable of that.

If it's health, then of course I'd stand down. If it's pitch selection, then I think mixing in his offspeed stuff more (which he'd have to do as a starter) would offset and lessen the loss in velocity going more innings.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah, OK. I didn't know there were remaining concerns with the shoulder. He did come into ST last year as a starter, so I assumed that they considered him physically capable of that.

If it's health, then of course I'd stand down. If it's pitch selection, then I think mixing in his offspeed stuff more (which he'd have to do as a starter) would offset and lessen the loss in velocity going more innings.

I do not know if they consider it an issue. I do know that shoulders are much harder to fix then elbows.

His shoulder.

Plenty of other reasons but mostly his shoulder.

That, less velocity as a starter, and getting killed the 2nd and 3rd time through the order.

People forget that there are reasons why guys are in the pen and why you can't just extrapolate one inning at max effort on to 6 innings facing the same lineup 3 times.

Completely pulling this out of you know where, but I don't think Markakis has as much ownership support as we assume. I think DD has full say over the decision and will take the Nate McLouth/Jim Johnson path and look to replace Nick at lower $$$.
Putting money aside, what FA OF would you prefer to Nick?

Putting money aside, what FA OF would you prefer to Nick?

First off, you can never put money aside.

I can't speak for Veve, but I still think going with De Aza, Jones, Pearce, Lough is Baltimore's best bet, both in terms of productivity and risk/financial commitment. A Pearce/Lough platoon would likely be just as productive (if not more so) than Markakis for a fraction of the cost. (Pearce's 3 year splits against lefties: .910; Lough's against righties: .716; Markakis' against lefties: .712; against righties: .751.) This would allow Lough to get a little more playing time, while Pearce can also pick up at bats at first and DH.

Then use the money saved in 2015 to bring Butler or Morse in for DH and the money saved in 2016/2017 for whatever the hell DD wants.

Why wouldn't we? Our starters don't average much more than 6 innings per game anyway. Could Britton get us 6+ per game with stuff almost as good as he throws as a closer? Well, he certainly couldn't maintain that velocity throwing 80% sinking fastballs. (But) then he shouldn't be throwing that high a percentage as a starter.

It would give us even more depth from which to trade for other needs/prospects. It would give us another lefty in the rotation (Eduardo where are you?). It would allow us to justify paying up for Andrew Miller.

I don't see much reason to take Britton out of a role he's finally found success in.

I can't speak for Veve, but I still think going with De Aza, Jones, Pearce, Lough is Baltimore's best bet, both in terms of productivity and risk/financial commitment. A Pearce/Lough platoon would likely be just as productive (if not more so) than Markakis for a fraction of the cost. (Pearce's 3 year splits against lefties: .910; Lough's against righties: .716; Markakis' against lefties: .712; against righties: .751.) This would allow Lough to get a little more playing time, while Pearce can also pick up at bats at first and DH.

Then use the money saved in 2015 to bring Butler or Morse in for DH and the money saved in 2016/2017 for whatever the hell DD wants.

I'm not against Butler, but it seems Buck doesn't like a true DH. He likes the flexibility of someone who can at least pretend to field, even at the expense of losing production at DH and the terror of a Cruz/Young in the field.

I don't see much reason to take Britton out of a role he's finally found success in.

Especially when they have six starters right now, and Bundy and potentially a few others plausibly available soon. The only scenario I can see risking a Britton move to the rotation would be if the team was short on both starters and money. They could non-tender Davis, not resign Markakis or Cruz, and try to trade a starter to plug holes. But they have plenty of starters and an infusion of playoff cash.

That, less velocity as a starter, and getting killed the 2nd and 3rd time through the order.

People forget that there are reasons why guys are in the pen and why you can't just extrapolate one inning at max effort on to 6 innings facing the same lineup 3 times.

The O's finished the season with six starters that are all projected to be back. There is no reason to think the Britton would be an improvement over what is already there.

I'm not against Butler, but it seems Buck doesn't like a true DH. He likes the flexibility of someone who can at least pretend to field, even at the expense of losing production at DH and the terror of a Cruz/Young in the field.

I think this is absolutely true, but you have to wonder where the line is drawn. Like, if DD were able to get Butler for 1/5 or so, at a very reasonable rate, would Buck still be dragging his feet? What if signing Butler rather than Markakis allowed DD to bring back Miller or another high end arm for the bullpen? That seems like a trade off that would appeal to Buck.

Not every tool needs to be a Swiss army knife. Sometimes a tool is best specialized, like a scalpel. Or, in Butler's case, a hammer.

I'm not sure I want either guy as a "DH only" type, but I think you may be spot on about the outfield situation.

Tigers spending big bucks on their bullpen

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Tigers?src=hash">#Tigers</a> exercise $7M team option on Joakim Soria.</p>— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) <a href="

">October 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived