The Royals: Emerging AL Power, or Flash in the Pan?

Frobby

What are the Royals?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What are the Royals?

• One Year Wonder
    • Emerging Power

Bump....I think the Royals have answered the question. Congratulations to them -- I don't like 'em, but I respect what they've accomplished the last few seasons.

They've done a good job in KC, for sure. Very impressive. And some talent on the farm, too. Nice spot to be in.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

The Royals were a very streaky team in 2014.

They started the season at an average 29-32 overall. Then, they won 10 straight games. At that point, it looked like they were going to be in the race to stay.

Then, they went 9-18 over their next 27 games to drop to 48-50.

At that point, they looked like they had dropped out of the race, and would have an average season, at best.

But then ...... they went 24-6 over their next 30 games, and led their division by 3 games at 72-56 overall.

They were very much an up-and-down team throughout the 2014 season ...... but ultimately, they won 89 games, and turned out to be a good team overall in the regular season, and a very good team overall in the postseason.

When the Orioles won 93 games in 2012, some wondered whether or not they would remain in contention, or if they would drop back to their losing ways in 2013 and beyond. The Orioles showed that they were not a fluke/flash-in-the-pan by going 85-77 in 2013, and then 96-66 in 2014.

The 2014 Royals already had a winning season under their belts in 2013 before their 2014 dream season, unlike the 2012 Orioles, who had gone 69-93 in 2011. If they complete a 3rd consecutive winning season in 2015 (like the Orioles just did in 2014), then I think that they will continue to be a perennial contender in the foreseen future.

Presuming that nothing catastrophic happens to them over the final 10 weeks of their 2015 campaign, the Royals will have had the 3 consecutive winning seasons by season's end (like the Orioles accomplished last year) ........ hence, in my rat's ass of an opinion, they have proven to be a perennial contender.

3 consecutive winning season has made them a perennial contender.

2 consecutive American League championships has proven them a bona fide force.

Winning the World Series was the icing on the cake.

This isn't my joke, but I'm curious if the Royals will go with the sacrifice fly or the fielder's choice RBI groundout on the cover of their world series DVD.

Frankly, I thought Hosmer's decision to try to score was boneheaded. He was out easily if Duda made a routine throw, IMO. Would have been the final out, and an embarrassing way to lose a World Series game. Of course, maybe KC's scouting report included a mention that Duda can't throw straight, I don't know, but that was a high risk play by Hosmer, IMO.

Frankly, I thought Hosmer's decision to try to score was boneheaded. He was out easily if Duda made a routine throw, IMO. Would have been the final out, and an embarrassing way to lose a World Series game. Of course, maybe KC's scouting report included a mention that Duda can't throw straight, I don't know, but that was a high risk play by Hosmer, IMO.

Kansas City plays a high-pressure (college ball) style that's focused on making the other team make plays. They did have advanced scouting that analyzed throws from to different bases. I do not know if Hosmer had that info and/or was actively thinking about it.

This isn't my joke, but I'm curious if the Royals will go with the sacrifice fly or the fielder's choice RBI groundout on the cover of their world series DVD.

My guess is probably just the celebratory dog pile? Maybe also some clips of all the people who called them flukes over the past two seasons?

Kansas City plays a high-pressure (college ball) style that's focused on making the other team make plays. They did have advanced scouting that analyzed throws from to different bases. I do not know if Hosmer had that info and/or was actively thinking about it.

There is a difference between an aggressive play that forces the other team to execute a good play to get you out and a big gamble that requires a poor play by the opponent to be successful. Hosmer's effort was the latter, in my view.

There is a difference between an aggressive play that forces the other team to execute a good play to get you out and a big gamble that requires a poor play by the opponent to be successful. Hosmer's effort was the latter, in my view.

It's all risk assessment. Reports point to certain (most?) Mets infielders as being poor bet to complete certain plays.

Also, it's worth pointing out that with the exception of Gordon, just about all of their star players are under team control through 2017 in KC. :(

A lot of them will be in line for big raises, starting next season, but if they can afford the payroll increase they can keep this band together for awhile.

It's all risk assessment. Reports point to certain (most?) Mets infielders as being poor bet to complete certain plays.

Agreed. As I said, had the KC scouting report indicated that Duda's arm should be run on at every opportunity, then the play was less of a gamble than it appeared. I'm just saying that it certainly appeared to be a play that one would expect a MLB first baseman to make routinely.

Agreed. As I said, had the KC scouting report indicated that Duda's arm should be run on at every opportunity, then the play was less of a gamble than it appeared. I'm just saying that it certainly appeared to be a play that one would expect a MLB first baseman to make routinely.

Right. I'm saying the report apparently said runners could be aggressive on Duda's (and other's) arm.

Also, it's worth pointing out that with the exception of Gordon, just about all of their star players are under team control through 2017 in KC. :(

A lot of them will be in line for big raises, starting next season, but if they can afford the payroll increase they can keep this band together for awhile.

I have a feeling you are using the word "star" liberally.

Archived