Roch: Rey Navarro is Going to Fight for a Job

weams

At 22!

He was league average!

You don't think he will improve from there?

Are you one of those guys that doesn't think run prevention counts?

Getting league average production for 500K is a win.

The Angels are still debating giving 5 million to Gordon Beckham. Gordon. Beckham.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Schoop stuck at 2nd base all year long because he's a plus defender with some pop. He's a kid. He'll never be a patient hitter but he will improve offensively. He's got a quick bat and plenty of power. He just needs to stop listening to Adam Jones...

Actually, he was listening to his Dutch Uncle Nelson.

Schoop stuck at 2nd base all year long because he's a plus defender with some pop. He's a kid. He'll never be a patient hitter but he will improve offensively. He's got a quick bat and plenty of power. He just needs to stop listening to Adam Jones...

I have no idea if this is true. But I had a co-worker that kept up with all baseball stats.

Schoop's HR's/power came against some of the worst pitchers in baseball.

I'm just not sold on Schoop as a player. Just my opinion doesn't make it right.

I have no idea if this is true. But I had a co-worker that kept up with all baseball stats.

I'm just not sold on Schoop as a player. Just my opinion doesn't make it right.

Like this one off that NPB reject?

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=31950261&topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

I have no idea if this is true.

Just my opinion doesn't make it right.

Tanaka Twice. Just because someone says it does not make it true.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/event_hr.cgi?id=schoojo01&t=b

Masahiro Tanaka 2

Brandon Gomes 1

Jeff Samardzija 1

Drew Hutchison 1

Dylan Axelrod 1

Kyle Drabek 1

Mike Morin 1

Francisco Rodriguez 1

Kyle Lohse 1

R.A. Dickey 1

Chase Whitley 1

Mark Buehrle 1

Dellin Betances 1

Mike Leake 1

Kyle Crockett 1

Mat Latos 1

Like this one off that NPB reject?

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=31950261&topic_id=6479266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.

I can't believe we are actually talking about Schoop.

Everyday does not mean everyday from June 18th on.

At 24 he spent roughly half the season at AA.

And how is that Navarro's fault. He was an All Star at AA in 2013 and the Reds chose to put him back at AA. Players have to play where teams put them. They have no control over that.

Schoop is the favorite. He showed he can play plus defense at the MLB level, mostly from his arm (I don't think his range is anything better than average). That said, he is deeply flawed offensively, with a .244 OBP. That's .244, not .344. Third worst in all of MLB for players with >300 appearances. His 17 HR does not make up for that.

If Navarro can play defense with a .340 OBP, he absolutely could win a backup job and put pressure on Schoop for the starting job. His AAA stats are relevant when Schoop's MLB stats are so poor.

Schoop is no lock for a starting position. Hopefully Schoop knows that because it seems Navarro does. Schoop can't hit like he did last year, he needs to progress offensively and the O's need a solid backup plan in the event he doesn't. I get it that his glove has been terrific thus far but his performance last year at the plate is just not acceptable.

Schoop is the favorite. He showed he can play plus defense at the MLB level, mostly from his arm (I don't think his range is anything better than average). That said, he is deeply flawed offensively, with a .244 OBP. That's .244, not .344. Third worst in all of MLB for players with >300 appearances. His 17 HR does not make up for that.

If Navarro can play defense with a .340 OBP, he absolutely could win a backup job and put pressure on Schoop for the starting job. His AAA stats are relevant when Schoop's MLB stats are so poor.

If Navarro can play defense perhaps the thing he allows DD to do is put Flaherty in a package with say Norris or CD to bring back a good young positional player who can be part of that core moving forward.

On his own Flaherty has limited value but add to a package he is the kind of guy who is useful enough to make the package more appealing

No need to be a clown. He had two against Tanaka and and one off of Betances, two of the pitchers with the best stuff in baseball. Betances was nearly unhittable last year. Maybe your friend isn't as smart as you think he is. Maybe you have checked yourself and saved yourself the embarrassment.

In today's society, saying something loud and proud is likely to be taken as fact. Perhaps he just has a friend who wants to paint a forgery of Schoop's value. Schoop had a good age 22 season. As a major league starter. Right handed, with power. Does he need to improve? Yes.

Navarro had a .343 OBP last year split between AAA and AA. It's highly unlikely he could repeat that in the majors next season. If Schoop doesn't show improvement I think it's possible that Navarro could replace him at some point. I just don't think it's likely.

AA 135 518 74 155 256 31 2 22 97 39 2 92 4 2 .299 .346 .494 .840 0.65

This would be a good place to look at a regression from. You know. If we are all up on OBP again.

Archived