How About Giving Dan Some Time Before Questioning His Offseason Plan?

TonySoprano

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hope so. I don't think they need to spend on the bullpen when they have an extra starter and guys like Wilson, Berry, and Wright who could also work out of the pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup the same place that guys like Wade Davis and Andrew Miller came from.....imagine that. That is how you do it. Develop your own

So what? Is giving MW a 6 year/100 million dollar deal or whatever you imagine him getting a smart move? Lets be real, I love MW but the guy was out almost all of last year and we managed to win without him. Hell CD may has well of sat out the year to be honest as well.

Those guys are getting paid significant money now. Its part of the reason that our payroll is already 100 million. That money represents opportunities for DD to do what he has done since he got here and bring in talent that will fit the guys who are left. In the meantime we have Bundy coming, Harvey perhaps by 2017 ish, we are light on positional prospects but will be flush enough with cash to supplement guys like AJ, Machado, JJ, and Schoop who I think will improve a great deal over the next year or two.

The idea that 2015 is our only chance is an absolute farce. I would argue in some respects we will be better positioned in 2016 and beyond of some of the pitching prospects come through.

Obviously giving any player a longterm deal is a bad idea it seems. Basically, you want us to be a developmental team for the big spenders, and hope the young guys come through while their cheap.

Orioles will always be a farm team to the big market teams with our owner. Sad but true.

Hahahahaha. Be honest, you're one of the guys that calls into the fan and bashes Angelos, aren't you? I won't hold it against you, I'm just curious?

The "Farm Team" won the division by 12 games last season....12 games. And that's without our All-Star/Gold Glove third baseman and catcher for most of the year. That's with the 2013 MVP candidate hitting under .200. That's with a catcher, third baseman, and second baseman all hitting under .220 all year.

It's actually quite hilarious that T's opening post talks about people needing to chill, and instead it causes those same people to sing the same song and dance that just hasn't been true since Duke came on board.

Unless, of course, its true that the 80 something year old Peter Angelos still sits in his office thinking up ways to screw over the Orioles fan base! :rolleyes:

Orioles will always be a farm team to the big market teams with our owner. Sad but true.

Maybe those guys will walk, maybe we resign one of them. We are in no different a boat than the majority of teams out there.

Dude, if the Guggenheim group owned the Orioles I would hazzard a guess they would not be running out spending money like wild.

All of MLB loses guys to Boston, NY and LA...its just the way it is. Expecting the Orioles to be different is like expecting your Honda Accord to suddenly morph into a Aston Martin one day when you go out to start it.

You can either be responsible spending your money or act like Toronto and Seattle and in few years be moaning about the aging players your have on your roster and the lack of a trophy to show for it.

Be realistic man.

Hahahahaha. Be honest, you're one of the guys that calls into the fan and bashes Angelos, aren't you? I won't hold it against you, I'm just curious?

The "Farm Team" won the division by 12 games last season....12 games. And that's without our All-Star/Gold Glove third baseman and catcher for most of the year. That's with the 2013 MVP candidate hitting under .200. That's with a catcher, third baseman, and second baseman all hitting under .220 all year.

It's actually quite hilarious that T's opening post talks about people needing to chill, and instead it causes those same people to sing the same song and dance that just hasn't been true since Duke came on board.

Unless, of course, its true that the 80 something year old Peter Angelos still sits in his office thinking up ways to screw over the Orioles fan base! :rolleyes:

It's the cost of owning a team in today's baseball. If you don't wanna sign your young studs to 100m to keep them DON'T BE A OWNER.

That solid BP from last year had one guy developed by the Orioles.

And a lot of guys who were afterthoughts that the O's turned into good bullpen arms. O'Day was not heavily pursued was he?

I also think that the Orioles lacked the quality kind of arms needed to do that when DD got here so another approach was needed and worked.

It seems to me though that the O's would very much like to be able to do this and it is part of the reason they are stockpiling the kind of arms they are.

It's the cost of owning a team in today's baseball. If you don't wanna sign your young studs to 100m to keep them DON'T BE A OWNER.

Should DD rip up Jones' contract and give him a 9 figure one just so he can be part of the big boy club? Should he have signed Davis to a 10/$200M after 2013?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And a lot of guys who were afterthoughts that the O's turned into good bullpen arms. O'Day was not heavily pursued was he?

I also think that the Orioles lacked the quality kind of arms needed to do that when DD got here so another approach was needed and worked.

It seems to me though that the O's would very much like to be able to do this and it is part of the reason they are stockpiling the kind of arms they are.

"He's a relief pitcher. He is one of the most undervalued players in baseball. His defect is that he throws funny. Nobody in the big leagues cares about him, because he looks funny. This guy could be not just the best pitcher in our bullpen, but one of the most effective relief pitchers in all of baseball."

Next Offseason the Orioles will have to replace Davis , Wieters , Norris , Chen , De Aza , O'day , Webb , Hunter and any holes they don't fix in 2014. Going for it in 2015 isn't a bad thing.

Id like to think that we ARE going for it in 2015. In a way that does not return us to 15 years of being a laughing stock. You know the Orioles did win the AL East without Wieters, Machado, and Davis for significant amounts of time. Right? You can look it up!

You are correct though, going for it in 2015 is not a bad thing at all. It may well turn out that after 2015 we really do lose too much to remain in the hunt for the AL East title. But I personally think you are tilting toward windmills here just a little. A broken watch is in fact correct twice a day, but thou dost definitely protest too much.

Ouch, I mixed too many metaphors and have given myself a headache. :)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Another option the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> may consider if they lose Markakis in addition to Cruz - Colby Rasmus on a short deal.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

i would like this.

We did resign Adam Jones to a long term deal. Although everyone on this board knows that love him now, we did sign Markakis to a long term deal. Cruz is not a "young stud."

I don't know who we could be talking about, unless we are making assumptions about decisions that don't need to be made yet. We have no idea what is going to happen with Wieters, so lets wait until that time comes before we make assumptions. We don't have to make a decision on Manny yet, nor should we, given his injury history.

Archived