How About Giving Dan Some Time Before Questioning His Offseason Plan?

TonySoprano

I really appreciate the long tenured residents of this board as they keep the sanity. Typically, I spend most of my offseason here, and I only jump on occasionally during the season. I have a text message thread with my buddies that are die-hard O's fans. During the season, we text each other about the O's from 6 AM (when I awake each day) to 1 AM (sometimes when I go to sleep). Hence, I get my Orioles fix. All but one is a huge football fan, so I tell them to take the conversation elsewhere in the offseason.

I figured that this offseason, given the amount of success that the O's have tasted over the past three years, there wouldn't be pitchforks and torches. Granted, it is probably 50/50, but golly the impatience of some members of this board is annoying. I understand that there isn't much else to do but play armchair GM, but the negative pundits need to give it a rest. We all want things to make sense in our mind immediately, but that isn't life nor sport. This is a very good team, and I fully expect the internal options to replace a decent amount of the lost production.

I think some people need to find a second hobby (perhaps knitting or an alternate peaceful activity).

I like your input. I know you attend a lot of games and talk with a lot of the folks we reference here. I want to thank you again for convincing Darren O'Day to abstain from procreation until the appropriate time as well.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You aren't upset about decisions he has not even made yet? Or might not even be around to make?

I'm very upset that I will no longer be able to reflexively bash somebody identifiable for the shortcomings of the team I root for. After all, they owe it to me to do whatever it takes to make this part of my life as smooth as possible. Money should be no object. Hell, I resent that money is even a consideration. Peter Angelos has enough to make me happy. Why shouldn't he?

Most of all I'm upset that if he's not around any more I could be required to actually put some thought into how a real team is constructed day in and day out. Trade-offs? Hard choices? The human factor? Ugh, too much like work.

;)

It's the cost of owning a team in today's baseball. If you don't wanna sign your young studs to 100m to keep them DON'T BE A OWNER.

What studs have we lost that Angelos didn't want to sign? Mu$$ina? I would argue he wasn't young at the time but besides Mu$$ina, who?

The winning is more on Dan and Buck.

Absolutely. But they are enabled by Angelos allowing them to do their jobs now without meddling like in the past. At some point, people have to get that. Gone are the days of losing deals because they couldn't reach Angelos in vacation.

Absolutely. But they are enabled by Angelos allowing them to do their jobs now without meddling like in the past. At some point, people have to get that. Gone are the days of losing deals because they couldn't reach Angelos in vacation.

And we always need to remember that those days did exist. Just like Paul O'Neill existed. In the past. I saw Paul on the street this year. He still looked fit.

There was a very good rhetoric about how awful a person , owner, and Baltimore native that Peter Angelos was when he thought he knew how to run a baseball front office himself and we lost for man years. The media feasted on that, mocked our team, our fans, and of course that owner.

I got it.

Some kids grew up during that. It's all they know. It was the meme of their youth. It's over. Move on, We are winners.

Well, some of the "being an awful person" stuff may be overblown and frankly it's not very relevant to his role as baseball owner. But I don't think the buzz about him as a baseball owner is just rhetoric / a meme. There were serious issues at the warehouse through the minor league system. Looks like those issues were fixed. The spring training facilities, foreign scouting, consistency in minor league operations.

Baltimore on the road jerseys? Not so much. ;)

Well, some of the "being an awful person" stuff may be overblown and frankly it's not very relevant to his role as baseball owner. But I don't think the buzz about him as a baseball owner is just rhetoric / a meme. There were serious issues at the warehouse through the minor league system. Looks like those issues were fixed. The spring training facilities, foreign scouting, consistency in minor league operations.

Baltimore on the road jerseys? Not so much. ;)

I never said he was not a bad owner. At one time. Never. Even then. I believe he was misguided by those around him as well. There were some folks that were around back then that are not around now.

I never said he was not a bad owner. At one time. Never. Even then. I believe he was misguided by those around him as well. There were some folks that were around back then that are not around now.

Agreed.

I remember the Orioles from Memorial Stadiium in the late 80s... so I do remember the Pre-Angelos team, but the organization had issues even then.

Agreed.

I remember the Orioles from Memorial Stadiium in the late 80s... so I do remember the Pre-Angelos team, but the organization had issues even then.

I meant folks in the front office. Or that had a singular owner's ear. And were not necessarily the best advocates for a fan base. They are all gone. And the leaks. So are they.

Dan's way of doing business does not require many long term contracts. Adam Jones 6/85m, Jimenez 4/50m, Hardy 3/40m. That's it. And I bet Angelos pre-approved each one of them.

Dan knows who he works for and he knows how to work for him and succeed.

Dan's way of doing business does not require many long term contracts. Adam Jones 6/85m, Jimenez 4/50m, Hardy 3/40m. That's it. And I bet Angelos pre-approved each one of them.

Dan knows who he works for and he knows how to work for him and succeed.

When do you think Dan last spoke with Peter Angelos?

We should apparently be more like the Dodgers. Look at all the big ticket free agents they have signed this off-season. What? They have not signed any? They are actually trying to get rid of some albatross contracts and get younger? Hmmm.

When will people understand (ok a few people) that having overpriced players does not translate to winning?

We should apparently be more like the Dodgers. Look at all the big ticket free agents they have signed this off-season. What? They have not signed any? They are actually trying to get rid of some albatross contracts and get younger? Hmmm.

When will people understand (ok a few people) that having overpriced players does not translate to winning?

It's all a pump and dump scheme anymore. I am surprised networks and municipalities have not caught on.

Archived