Markakis takes out a two page ad in the Baltimore Sun

Going Underground

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One other thing about this letter. Trea and many others like to throw trade ideas around with these men like they are baseball cards. We dissect every little move these guys make on the field and criticize even the best of players. We take Superstars like Adam Jones and mock him every time he strikes out on a low and away slider.

What we so often forget is these players are men. They have families and feelings just like all of us. They have ups and downs, emotions, and family issues that effect their play on the field. And they still are the best in the world at a VERY difficult sport. And yet we sit back in our lazy boys and do nothing but criticize their every flaw, and discuss fantasy trades of them and their families like they are nothing but baseball cards.

I for one am embarrassed by some of my actions and comments regarding these men. I am ashamed that I let "baseball stats" get in the way of my true feelings, that being I am a fan of Nick Markakis and very much enjoyed watching him play for 9 years as a Baltimore Oriole. I wish him luck in Atlanta, I wish him and his family well, and I hope to see them around Baltimore like I have for 9 years!

Nick, it was a great gesture putting the letter in the Sun, but in reality, it is us who should be saying, "Thank YOU Nick Markakis!"

Well said. Nicky was a good egg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a terrific gesture by Nick. And of particular note were these words: "I know that it's easy for someone who doesn't know me to make assumptions on my thoughts and actions. That's the price of being a professional athlete and I accept it. I sincerely hope you understand how difficult this is for my family and me."

So... anyone want to organize a crowdfunding drive for the fans of Baltimore to take out a two-page "We'll miss you, good luck" ad in the Opening Day edition of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution? ;)

That was a terrific gesture by Nick. And of particular note were these words: "I know that it's easy for someone who doesn't know me to make assumptions on my thoughts and actions. That's the price of being a professional athlete and I accept it. I sincerely hope you understand how difficult this is for my family and me."

So... anyone want to organize a crowdfunding drive for the fans of Baltimore to take out a two-page "We'll miss you, good luck" ad in the Opening Day edition of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution? ;)

I like this idea.

One other thing about this letter. Trea and many others like to throw trade ideas around with these men like they are baseball cards. We dissect every little move these guys make on the field and criticize even the best of players. We take Superstars like Adam Jones and mock him every time he strikes out on a low and away slider.

What we so often forget is these players are men. They have families and feelings just like all of us. They have ups and downs, emotions, and family issues that effect their play on the field. And they still are the best in the world at a VERY difficult sport. And yet we sit back in our lazy boys and do nothing but criticize their every flaw, and discuss fantasy trades of them and their families like they are nothing but baseball cards.

I for one am embarrassed by some of my actions and comments regarding these men. I am ashamed that I let "baseball stats" get in the way of my true feelings, that being I am a fan of Nick Markakis and very much enjoyed watching him play for 9 years as a Baltimore Oriole. I wish him luck in Atlanta, I wish him and his family well, and I hope to see them around Baltimore like I have for 9 years!

Nick, it was a great gesture putting the letter in the Sun, but in reality, it is us who should be saying, "Thank YOU Nick Markakis!"

The O's paid Markakis $66.232 million. They just offered him an additional $40 million. He chose to leave for an extra $4 million.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a thank you note, and I'm fine with overlooking the obvious hypocrisies and "business" decisions embedded therein, but the above post is way overboard, IMO.

That's really a great idea.

Classy move by a classy man. Definitely going to miss him roaming RF and playing that carom.

The O's paid Markakis $66.232 million. They just offered him an additional $40 million. He chose to leave for an extra $4 million.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a thank you note, and I'm fine with overlooking the obvious hypocrisies and "business" decisions embedded therein, but the above post is way overboard, IMO.

Me apologizing for myself is "way overboard?" Um, okay then.

:rofl:

Me apologizing for myself is "way overboard?" Um, okay then.

Specifically the last line. Because...no, we should not in any way feel obligated to say "thank you." We said "thank you" by purchasing tickets, jerseys, bobbleheads, and the like, and by cheering raucously for Markakis (and the Orioles), for years. He chose to leave town despite being offered a (more than) fair contract that equaled Atlanta's in years and just barely fell short in dollars. If I'm going to thank Nick for anything at this point, it's not locking the O's into another bad, long term contract.

Thanks for reminding me why I was mad at Nick. Good luck, but come on 4 million!? Yes in our reality that's a ton of money but jeez

Archived