Markakis takes out a two page ad in the Baltimore Sun

Going Underground

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good job Nick!

It is always a nice gesture when a player does this. Including the family was a nice touch.

It sure was. It showed the "human" side of sports, which is what I was getting at in my post, until Orange took a good feelings thread about Nick Markakis the man and turned it into being about Orange.

So you took the time to tell me MY POST was overblown? Seriously? So anytime I disagree with one of the thousands of posts that occur on a message board, I should respond, "I think your post is wrong."

Or should I do what most normal people do and read the post, think, "Hmm, odd" and move on to another thread?

Yours wasn't the only one.

And you've been around message boards long enough to know that they don't function when most, or even many, people think to themselves "hmm, odd"...as opposed to engaging/challenging the oddity.

Did I call you or anyone else stupid? Did I question your coherence or right to post whatever it is you happen to be thinking at a given time? Or did I comment that, IMO, your sentiments were overblown?

This thread wasn't dedicated to thanking Nick for his time in Baltimore, btw. It's a thread that alerted us to an ad he took out in the paper. The sentiments I expressed belong here every bit as much as yours. If I were raining on an "Appreciation Thread," I could better understand arguments to the contrary. As it stands, I'm just going to assume that the holidays have the emotions of more than a few posters running...higher than they normally would.

From wiki...

The Right Side Foundation was started by Nick and his wife Christina on May 28, 2009. The foundation was created to help distressed children, whether they are disadvantaged, sick, lonely, or grieving throughout Maryland. “Christina and I have adopted Maryland as our new home and believe that establishing our Foundation is the most effective way to formalize our charitable efforts and have the greatest impact on children in Maryland,” stated Nick.

Christina and Nick explained that their love of children, and the birth of their son, Taylor, helped decide that the foundation would be based on helping children because they feel that every child deserves to enjoy promise and innocence. “Nick and I have always loved children. As new parents, we see great promise in our son and want to do our part to ensure that other children in Maryland have opportunities to grow and enjoy life," Christina explained.

And you've been around message boards long enough to know that they don't function when most, or even many, people think to themselves "hmm, odd"...as opposed to engaging/challenging the oddity.

Did I call you or anyone else stupid? Did I question your coherence or right to post whatever it is you happen to be thinking at a given time? Or did I comment that, IMO, your sentiments were overblown?

This thread wasn't dedicated to thanking Nick for his time in Baltimore, btw. It's a thread that alerted us to an ad he took out in the paper. The sentiments I expressed belong here every bit as much as yours. If I were raining on an "Appreciation Thread," I could better understand arguments to the contrary. As it stands, I'm just going to assume that the holidays have the emotions of more than a few posters running...higher than they normally would.

Okay, fair enough. My apologies.

Hits right in the feels.

I left my cup at home.

MrOrange82 reminds me of the people who never get invited to weddings or funerals.

In other words, the internet is perfect for him.

I don't agree with much of what he said, even though it's his right to express it, but this was as or more over the top than anything he said.

What a class act from Nick. No longer seeing Nick in right field is going to be a big adjustment for those of us who appreciated the skills he brought to the game everyday.

Thanks, Nick, for addressing your fan base. You have my respect.

I thought it was a nice gesture. My wife got a copy of it.

I don't agree with much of what he said, even though it's his right to express it, but this was as or more over the top than anything he said.

I was going to mention it. Personal attacks are not permitted. Even if the poster is expressing a view that appears out of place to you.

What did you think the reaction was going to be in a feel good thread after you come in with those comments?

Archived