Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

I'm actually on the same page as you (had to happen eventually). I wanted to keep Dan, but his allowing this to play out as it has changes how I feel about his place here. And if we can get two prospects that would be in our top 10, it's a no brainer conclusion to a lousy situation. I'd be more upset if we lost Dave Wallace. But the biggest worry is the guy that replaces Duquette. Getting a couple of solid prospects is a consolation prize if we get a "GM" who is average or worse. Anyone taking the job is going to be handed a bit of a mess next offseason.

I guess Buck would have a lot of input into the next GM. I don't think he would pick an incompetent GM.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
source - Boston Globe

Well Cafardo does mention the Aville for Farrell trade. And he states quite convincingly that that major league players are only traded for managers. Except he doesn't mention why and ironically ignors the major league player the Sox received from the Cubs for Theo. Not saying he's wrong. Just don't know why he's right.

I am ready for this deal to go down. Give us a solid major league player and a top prospect and I think just about every member of the board would be willing to drive DD to the airport. DD is a solid GM but it doesn't look like the Red Sox did too bad after firing him. 3 World Series rings since they fired him..zero with him.

A buddy of mine just texted me, said the deal is done according to Buster. I haven't looked it up or seen what he's talking about but I am pissed.

You're right, DD is a solid GM, but how quickly we forget....I hate saying it, but we're spoiled now. There are a lot spoiled fans on here, and your post reeks of it. BFD if he didn't win a ring in Boston, he played a strong role in architecting that team. Do you have any idea what he did in Montreal? Do you realize what a rampage the '94 team was on when the strike went down? That team was created by him, those guys were drafted and acquired under his watch. Do yourself a favor and look up the '94 Expos roster and see what type of talent was on that club, it was ridiculous.

I think some of you have forgotten all those losing seasons we had. DD did right for us, no ones been able to manage a roster like him, no ones been able to find guys on the scrap heap and provide a deep team like he has. He works well with Angelos, he works well with Buck. He's the glue that holds it together. All of a sudden we're taking it for granted that Baltimore is a hot place to play in again, that our team is good and we can be a contender from here on out with DD or without DD, like he's some disposable piece.

And what do you want in exchange for him, a "solid major league player" and a "top prospect?" You want two players for the guy that helped get us back to respectability and get this team to the playoffs two out of the past three years? Have some long term vision man, who provides more value over the next few years, the guy who helps design this team, has the vision to pick what players to bring in and keeps everything going...or a "solid major league player" and a "top prospect"? Really, that's the equal value that DD brings to the table? Two players?

Toronto can kiss the fattest part of my ass. DD is out of the game since 2002, we finally, finally, FINALLY make a smart move and bring him in...people laugh, roll their eyes and think this is another joke and...he helps turn it around. Turns out to be a great decision. And all of a sudden, Toronto just has to have him. Pardon me, but they can go fist themselves.

I'm not giving him 100% credit for the rebuild here, MacPhail still has fingerprints all over this team and Buck deserves a lot of the credit, too. But DD has played a major, major part in this and we will absolutely regret it in a few years when he's gone and things aren't as good around here.

I don't know if this has been posted yet so I apologize if it has. This is truly hilarious and if this guy is involved in the negotiations then things could get interesting (he sounds like a grown up Ralph Wiggum):

We’ve heard that the Jays were anywhere from dopes to wise men about moving on the deal. Yet the Jays have not set up a war room to discuss trade scenarios.

General manager Alex Anthopoulos is not putting together offers A, B and C to acquire someone to replace his boss.

And Beeston certainly is not.

So who is making the call?

Who is saying we’ll give you Hoffman for Duquette?

Or Aaron Sanchez, Marcus Stroman and Jose Bautista as a package?

Or batting practice pitcher Jesus Figueroa?

Is it Eddie Rogers, who has never been involved in the day-to-day involvement of the club?

Or Rai, a skybox regular when the Jays visit Yankee Stadium?

Or is it Keith Pelley, president of Rogers Media (the Jays fall under his umbrella)? For all of Pelley’s years in sports broadcasting, he once shocked a meeting by asking, “What’s a relief pitcher?”

Rogers, Pelley and Rai all remain under the double-secret cone of silence.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/22/blue-jays-wont-for-gm-dan-duquette-but-rogers-might

I don't know if this has been posted yet so I apologize if it has. This is truly hilarious and if this guy is involved in the negotiations then things could get interesting:

We’ve heard that the Jays were anywhere from dopes to wise men about moving on the deal. Yet the Jays have not set up a war room to discuss trade scenarios.

General manager Alex Anthopoulos is not putting together offers A, B and C to acquire someone to replace his boss.

Who is saying we’ll give you Hoffman for Duquette?

Is it Eddie Rogers, who has never been involved in the day-to-day involvement of the club?

Or is it Keith Pelley, president of Rogers Media (the Jays fall under his umbrella)? For all of Pelley’s years in sports broadcasting, he once shocked a meeting by asking, “What’s a relief pitcher?”

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/22/blue-jays-wont-for-gm-dan-duquette-but-rogers-might

I don't understand their FO at all.

I don't know if this has been posted yet so I apologize if it has. This is truly hilarious and if this guy is involved in the negotiations then things could get interesting:

We?ve heard that the Jays were anywhere from dopes to wise men about moving on the deal. Yet the Jays have not set up a war room to discuss trade scenarios.

Who is saying we?ll give you Hoffman for Duquette?

Or is it Keith Pelley, president of Rogers Media (the Jays fall under his umbrella)? For all of Pelley?s years in sports broadcasting, he once shocked a meeting by asking, ?What?s a relief pitcher??

This could be great for us. If they indeed have executives not intimately familiar with their own player development and prospects in charge of communicating with the Orioles in their efforts to acquire Duquette, we could come out of this negotiation with a steal of a trade.

Buster hasn't said it was done, only that if there was a return, it would be "substantial."
It was on the ESPN bottom line this evening, saying that Buster reported that a deal was close. That's probably what he was referring to. Just a guess.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If a TOR/Duquette deal is finished, compensation will be substantial. Jeff Hoffman discussed.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">January 22, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tony is correct in that he only has said IF so far. Nice catch.

My belief that Dan was staying was predicated that no way Toronto would be dumb enough to part with anything significant. No top prospects, that the Orioles would make some demand that they would assume would be laughed at. That no org that is run by rational thinking people would even consider it.

Toronto might just be run by complete idiots that would circumvent their entire baseball bureaucracy, pull off a secret deal and completely hamstring their farm system all for Dan Duquette.

A buddy of mine just texted me, said the deal is done according to Buster. I haven't looked it up or seen what he's talking about but I am pissed.

You're right, DD is a solid GM, but how quickly we forget....I hate saying it, but we're spoiled now. There are a lot spoiled fans on here, and your post reeks of it. BFD if he didn't win a ring in Boston, he played a strong role in architecting that team. Do you have any idea what he did in Montreal? Do you realize what a rampage the '94 team was on when the strike went down? That team was created by him, those guys were drafted and acquired under his watch. Do yourself a favor and look up the '94 Expos roster and see what type of talent was on that club, it was ridiculous.

I think some of you have forgotten all those losing seasons we had. DD did right for us, no ones been able to manage a roster like him, no ones been able to find guys on the scrap heap and provide a deep team like he has. He works well with Angelos, he works well with Buck. He's the glue that holds it together. All of a sudden we're taking it for granted that Baltimore is a hot place to play in again, that our team is good and we can be a contender from here on out with DD or without DD, like he's some disposable piece.

And what do you want in exchange for him, a "solid major league player" and a "top prospect?" You want two players for the guy that helped get us back to respectability and get this team to the playoffs two out of the past three years? Have some long term vision man, who provides more value over the next few years, the guy who helps design this team, has the vision to pick what players to bring in and keeps everything going...or a "solid major league player" and a "top prospect"? Really, that's the equal value that DD brings to the table? Two players?

Toronto can kiss the fattest part of my ass. DD is out of the game since 2002, we finally, finally, FINALLY make a smart move and bring him in...people laugh, roll their eyes and think this is another joke and...he helps turn it around. Turns out to be a great decision. And all of a sudden, Toronto just has to have him. Pardon me, but they can go fist themselves.

I'm not giving him 100% credit for the rebuild here, MacPhail still has fingerprints all over this team and Buck deserves a lot of the credit, too. But DD has played a major, major part in this and we will absolutely regret it in a few years when he's gone and things aren't as good around here.

It is not like we are trying to get rid of DD. He wants to go. He is causing all this turmoil. I would have prefered for him to stay but at this point getting a good haul for him is what I want. Otherwise he can be a GM in title only as he obviously has no desire to be here anymore. He might be a great GM but as a person he seems to quite lacking.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If a TOR/Duquette deal is finished, compensation will be substantial. Jeff Hoffman discussed.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="
">January 22, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tony is correct in that he only has said IF so far. Nice catch.

Well, it implies that a deal is in the works... or under discussion. I can hardly believe this is happening. It's going to take some work to accept that we finally get a good GM, he stays just long enough to get everyone excited... then someone poaches him. And he leaps at the chance, as if Baltimore were nothing but a stepping stone. And DAN is urging the front office to let him pursue this "promotion"?

Yeah, I got some work to do to accept that scenario.

Meanwhile, I've heard a couple interesting ideas for GM. I'm an Ng fan. Trade DD for some substantial talent in return. Bring in Ng. She'd have all the raw materials to get things going... at least for a year. Then she'd have to get really creative.

Archived