Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

Isn't it funny that the two owners most un-liked by the new commissioner have been targeted. Reinsdorf and Angelos? Manfred is named in the MASN suit and Reinsdorf led the opposition to his candidacy. It's almost like these clowns don't believe they were caught for collusion and think that the rest of the world does not see their machinations.

Beeston voted against Manfred. That's one reason Rogers Communications wants to replace him. They don't want to be on bad footing with the new commissioner.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Beeston voted against Manfred. That's one reason Rogers Communications wants to replace him. They don't want to be on bad footing with the new commissioner.

I think something lost in all this is the political intrigue going on in the background. Its no secret that there are those in MLB who would love to stick it to Pete over the whole MASN-Nationals thing. Beeson the current team CEO of the Jays opposed Manfreds election as Commissioner. In some respects DD to the Jay's kinda settles two scores. Now Pete can talk all he wants about contracts, blah blah blah but if say MLB said after this season that Pete could not prevent DD from interviewing for a "promotion" and that this was a long and time honored tradition blah blah blah. Sure Pete can sue, sure he might even win some damages but no judge in their right mind is going to interfere with the inner workings of MLB. Judges tend to be willing to award monetary damages but seem to defer to the league as to how to interpret its bylaws and management etc. Besides if MLB allowed DD to accept that position, what is Pete gonna do? By the time a case is heard, listened to and adjudicated DD will have been in Toronto for good while, no judge is going to force him to step down. If they award damages it will not be more than the value of the remaining years and I doubt that it is that much.

If MLB allowed DD to interview and accept the job, the best thing Pete could do would be to work out compensation, accept DD is gone and sue MLB for further damages. To some extent a part of me thinks Toronto never realistically expected to land DD right now, they are simply serving up the first salvo to poach him later.

People can say all they want that it is not a promotion, their opinions really do not matter. All that matters is that in the eyes of MLB and MLB executives it would certainly be considered just that.

Not saying any of this will happen but its not crazy to think that some elements of it are in play at the very least. Just saying there are more moving parts going on here than most of us have talked about

I think something lost in all this is the political intrigue going on in the background. Its no secret that there are those in MLB who would love to stick it to Pete over the whole MASN-Nationals thing. Beeson the current team CEO of the Jays opposed Manfreds election as Commissioner. In some respects DD to the Jay's kinda settles two scores. Now Pete can talk all he wants about contracts, blah blah blah but if say MLB said after this season that Pete could not prevent DD from interviewing for a "promotion" and that this was a long and time honored tradition blah blah blah. Sure Pete can sue, sure he might even win some damages but no judge in their right mind is going to interfere with the inner workings of MLB. Judges tend to be willing to award monetary damages but seem to defer to the league as to how to interpret its bylaws and management etc. Besides if MLB allowed DD to accept that position, what is Pete gonna do? By the time a case is heard, listened to and adjudicated DD will have been in Toronto for good while, no judge is going to force him to step down. If they award damages it will not be more than the value of the remaining years and I doubt that it is that much.

If MLB allowed DD to interview and accept the job, the best thing Pete could do would be to work out compensation, accept DD is gone and sue MLB for further damages. To some extent a part of me thinks Toronto never realistically expected to land DD right now, they are simply serving up the first salvo to poach him later.

People can say all they want that it is not a promotion, their opinions really do not matter. All that matters is that in the eyes of MLB and MLB executives it would certainly be considered just that.

Not saying any of this will happen but its not crazy to think that some elements of it are in play at the very least. Just saying there are more moving parts going on here than most of us have talked about

I'm pretty sure MLB does not have the legal authority to allow Duquette to violate his contract. He'd end up in civil court vs. Angelos. That's not a good place to be.

All we know is that Duquette has been named a candidate as the next CEO of the Blue Jays and he has not denied it. I wouldn't expect this whole process to go quickly so if anything does come out of this, it would be more in line for the 2016 season.

Whether Duquette comes out and clarifies his intent...well thats on him but who ever really turns down a promotion??

Its not a promotion. It might be a higher salary and different title but it is the same job just a different team.

Anyway people do turn down promotions all the time. For example the Ravens assistant GM. Not everyone is about making as much money as possible.

Its not a promotion. It might be a higher salary and different title but it is the same job just a different team.

Anyway people do turn down promotions all the time. For example the Ravens assistant GM. Not everyone is about making as much money as possible.

Yes it is a promotion.

CEO > GM

So you are saying Angelos and Duquette have the same job?

Reading through all this makes me ask these questions...

Should the Orioles offer him this type of position? There is currently no "President" position with the Orioles.

Would he be interested in staying with the Orioles in this capacity or would he always be looking for the next "President" job?

He probably wouldn't accept it as that wouldn't give him an out. There would be no difference if he were called President or Executive Vice President with the Orioles. If he wants the title I would give it to him as it is meaningless.

Yes it is a promotion.

CEO > GM

So you are saying Angelos and Duquette have the same job?

It is the same job. If DD went to Toronto he wouldn't be really the CEO he would still have to go to owners for budget and signing big free agents. Are you that easily fooled? I have been saying this for days and today Steve M's. interview with Keith Law says as much.

Duqette's position would not be the equivalent of Angelos'.

I remember when I first got out of college me and another guy started at the same time as Consultant I's at the same salary. Two years later he was a Conusltant III and I was still a Consultant I. However, I was making 30,000 more a year. Title's are meaningless.

How can you say it is not a promotion when it would put him above the GM and the Asst. GM, AND would put him in charge of the Blue Jays Business Operations AND the Rogers Center? To have the same responsibility for the Orioles he would have to replace John Angelos and be given responsibility for Camden Yards, which currently rests with the stadium commission.

It is the same job. If DD went to Toronto he wouldn't be really the CEO he would still have to go to owners for budget and signing big free agents. Are you that easily fooled? I have been saying this for days and today Steve M's. interview with Keith Law says as much.

Maybe your right. Point is that what you think, what I think and what Keith Law thinks is pointless.

Within the structure of MLB and executive circles it is most certainly viewed as a promotion. Period the end. He would be paid more, its accepted in the league as a promotion and that is the end of it. You can argue till your blue in the face otherwise and it does not matter an iota. Its a promotion, you might be correct in saying its a half assed one but its still viewed that way.

How can you say it is not a promotion when it would put him above the GM and the Asst. GM, AND would put him in charge of the Blue Jays Business Operations AND the Rogers Center? To have the same responsibility for the Orioles he would have to replace John Angelos and be given responsibility for Camden Yards, which currently rests with the stadium commission.

Some people just don't get it. It's a Promotion.

It is a promotion but it doesn't give him the power that some folks think it would.

He won't be able to write his own budget and he will still be subject to the whims of those above him. Of course with a normal team there is a lot more stability at the top then you get with a team that is owned by a corporation.

Even if he had the almost the EXACT same responsibilities but a different title and much higher pay structure, it would be viewed within MLB as a promotion. At the end of the day no court is going to try to figure out what is a promotion and what is not. Courts almost never get involved in the inner workings of leagues like that

If MLB says its a promotion, its a promotion. Like it or not you just have to live with it.

Oh he would be in charge of the Rogers Center? I am sure that is something he would be tickled to death to be in charge of. If he gives up player decisions and leaves it to the GM than it would be a promotion but he is going to be doing the same thing as before. And I am sure someone else will be managing the Rodgers Center.

Archived