Sporting News : "Should Orioles hit the gas? After letting several options pass, silence isn't dead"

jamesenoch

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2014-12-22/mlb-trade-rumors-orioles-red-sox-dodgers-padres-outfield-seth-smith-nelson-cruz-nick-markakis-dan-duquette

Patience helped the Orioles to land Cruz for a bargain last winter, in a deal that did not come down until Feb. 24. Patience figures to be Baltimore?s friend again this offseason. It is important not to confuse not doing anything with doing absolutely nothing.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2014-12-22/mlb-trade-rumors-orioles-red-sox-dodgers-padres-outfield-seth-smith-nelson-cruz-nick-markakis-dan-duquette

Patience helped the Orioles to land Cruz for a bargain last winter, in a deal that did not come down until Feb. 24. Patience figures to be Baltimore?s friend again this offseason. It is important not to confuse not doing anything with doing absolutely nothing.

This is what a lot of people have been saying for the past two months on here. Ie, patience is a virtue. But alas, the same crew will respond to this article poo pooing the idea and another argument will ensue. Tis the season! ;)

To compare this offseason to last is not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, IMO. Last year there were a much higher number of impact players available late into the offseason. This year, that depth of available, impact talent does not exist.

I'm fine with the lack of acquisitions, but there is no Nelson Cruz type player available for us to score in February this time around.

This is what a lot of people have been saying for the past two months on here. Ie, patience is a virtue. But alas, the same crew will respond to this article poo pooing the idea and another argument will ensue. Tis the season! ;)

That's because it's the same crew that only comes out of the woodwork during the offseason or during losing streaks.

But this year...who's left? Slow plays are fine when it seems like there's at least one actual target that'll be worth the wait, but Rasmus is not Nelson Cruz.

But this year...who's left? Slow plays are fine when it seems like there's at least one actual target that'll be worth the wait, but Rasmus is not Nelson Cruz.

Aoki. I think his possible suitors have mostly dropped off. I like him better than Rasmus. He won't be as cheap as DD got Cruz for last year - that was a sheer miracle - but I think he could be a good value. I am guessing someone (maybe the O's) have made a 2 yr offer and he is holding out for a 3 yr offer. I don't want to jump the gun on a 3 yr deal, so the O's would be right to play slow, but Aoki is right to hold out. Makes sense for both sides to wait if that is the scenario.

Aoki. I think his possible suitors have mostly dropped off. I like him better than Rasmus. He won't be as cheap as DD got Cruz for last year - that was a sheer miracle - but I think he could be a good value. I am guessing someone (maybe the O's) have made a 2 yr offer and he is holding out for a 3 yr offer. I don't want to jump the gun on a 3 yr deal, so the O's would be right to play slow, but Aoki is right to hold out. Makes sense for both sides to wait if that is the scenario.

He has no power - he hit 1 homer last season. He'll turn 33 next month, and he relies on speed. He might have another competent season, but I don't know that going after a player whose upside is competent and still makes a fair amount of money makes much sense.

Gotta be honest, not psyched about waiting around for an average-to-bad defensive OFer with offensive skills that have declined in almost every area over the last couple of years. Especially don't like the idea of paying him when he's 34-35.

To compare this offseason to last is not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, IMO. Last year there were a much higher number of impact players available late into the offseason. This year, that depth of available, impact talent does not exist.

I'm fine with the lack of acquisitions, but there is no Nelson Cruz type player available for us to score in February this time around.

Nelson Cruz wasn't a Nelson Cruz type of player in February. Aoki and Rasmus both have a better recent track record than Cruz did in February.

That's because it's the same crew that only comes out of the woodwork during the offseason or during losing streaks.

After the big names got signed last offseason the market was still full of options (SP and DH) and it just became a big waiting game.

IMO theres nothing really left this offseason. Getting Rasmus or Aoki would really just be a waste.

I think the presence of some new general managers and new GMs in new places (Preller, Friedman, Cubs actually spending) completely changed the complexion of this off season. I don't if the Orioles were prepared for that.

That said, there are some values out there. Unfortunately I see them mostly in the middle infield. Bonafacio, Cabrera and Cabrera.

If I had Nelson Cruz on my team, I wouldn't trade him for Aoki and Rasmus.

At this point the philosophy is pretty clear to me. Get a core group of players (which the O's have), and then dumpster dive for the remaining players.

Even if Aoki and Rasmus are on one year deals? Trading a huge 57 mil contract that'll likely get you like 5 WAR for two guys who might give you about 3 WAR for 11 million dollars seems like a good deal to me.

Archived