Sporting News : "Should Orioles hit the gas? After letting several options pass, silence isn't dead"

jamesenoch

After the big names got signed last offseason the market was still full of options (SP and DH) and it just became a big waiting game.

IMO theres nothing really left this offseason. Getting Rasmus or Aoki would really just be a waste.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/12/trying-to-decide-on-the-roster-in-december.html

Did you see Roch this morning? As of today, our starting DH is Henry Urrutia. I would like to see us add a bat, and Aoki is a great fit for our needs. If he can be had for a 2 year deal it would be a low risk commitment for a player who has a very solid and consistent OBP and that is exactly what we need. If you don't like his defense, just play him at DH.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even if Aoki and Rasmus are on one year deals? Trading a huge 57 mil contract that'll likely get you like 5 WAR for two guys who might give you about 3 WAR for 11 million dollars seems like a good deal to me.

Well sure. Not sure why folks don't understand that you don't get what you pay for with free agent DH's. And I would have resigned Cruz. Incorrectly.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/12/trying-to-decide-on-the-roster-in-december.html

Did you see Roch this morning? As of today, our starting DH is Henry Urrutia. I would like to see us add a bat, and Aoki is a great fit for our needs. If he can be had for a 2 year deal it would be a low risk commitment for a player who has a very solid and consistent OBP and that is exactly what we need. If you don't like his defense, just play him at DH.

Most projection systems based on the current roster have us giving the DH at bats to Christian Walker (along with Pearce and Davis, switching their positions around a bit). I haven't heard any talk of Urrutia until reading that article... wonder why Roch didn't even consider Walker.

If my DH's skill is OBP, I'm depressed.

Most projection systems based on the current roster have us giving the DH at bats to Christian Walker (along with Pearce and Davis, switching their positions around a bit). I haven't heard any talk of Urrutia until reading that article... wonder why Roch didn't even consider Walker.

Roch is usually very solid with his reporting on what the Orioles are doing.

Do you think he will be able to get on base in the majors?

I don't.

279 in 2013 only 58 AB but they sure looked significant, no walks and only one extra base hit.

He is referring to my post, which was about Aoki. I have no idea what to expect of Urrutia.

In any case, I think it would be fine to have a low power/high OBP DH when all our other position players are low OBP. Power doesn't mean anything if all our hits are solo HR. GIven that there are literally no good power DH free agents available, it's either Urrutia/Walker or something else. If we can get Aoki on a two year deal I am all for it.

I just threw up a lot in my mouth.

Just to be sure, we are talking about Baltimore and not Norfolk, right?

I'm not sure why people continue missing this point. There were lots of people who were upset we paid him $8M last year in February. He had a great year, but people are definitely overstating the anticipated impact of the acquisition when he was signed. There isn't anyone available in FA that will have his actual impact, but there are several available that are close to his anticipated impact.

I can't speak for everyone, but I chose to "miss" the point you quoted because the idea that Rasmus has a better track record than Cruz is silly. Cruz signed for almost nothing because he had a PED cloud hanging over his head, not because guys like Rasmus comprise his peer group. As for Aoki...totally different player. Expected impact...not at all similar.

I can't speak for everyone, but I chose to "miss" the point you quoted because the idea that Rasmus has a better track record than Cruz is silly. Cruz signed for almost nothing because he had a PED cloud hanging over his head, not because guys like Rasmus comprise his peer group. As for Aoki...totally different player. Expected impact...not at all similar.

8 million per year, is significantly more than league min and way more than almost nothing

I'm not sure why people continue missing this point. There were lots of people who were upset we paid him $8M last year in February. He had a great year, but people are definitely overstating the anticipated impact of the acquisition when he was signed. There isn't anyone available in FA that will have his actual impact, but there are several available that are close to his anticipated impact.

I was one of the guys who was not in favor of signing Cruz last off season. On the one year make good, I was ok with it. It worked out great.

Archived