For Chris Davis' and Baseballs sake, should "The Shift" be banned?

33rdst

I saw something that the expanding use of the shift has shaved a significant number of points of the leagues batting averages. I think anyone who watched the orioles last year had the joy of repeatedly watching Davis line/ground out to the 3rd baseman in sort right field. As a fan, I don't find in entertaining. It is used more now because the technology is there. They have very detailed spray charts based on situation and pitch count they did not in the past.

In terms of the overall health of the game, less offense, and power hitters bunting against the shift will not put butts in the seats. I would have no issue with a rule that there has to be two infielders on either side of second base.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw something that the expanding use of the shift has shaved a significant number of points of the leagues batting averages. I think anyone who watched the orioles last year had the joy of repeatedly watching Davis line/ground out to the 3rd baseman in sort right field. As a fan, I don't find in entertaining. It is used more now because the technology is there. They have very detailed spray charts based on situation and pitch count they did not in the past.

In terms of the overall health of the game, less offense, and power hitters bunting against the shift will not put butts in the seats. I would have no issue with a rule that there has to be two infielders on either side of second base.

Assuming my earlier link had correct information how could use of the shift cause a "significant" drop in BA when it has caused, at most, a 3 point drop in BABIP?

I saw something that the expanding use of the shift has shaved a significant number of points of the leagues batting averages. I think anyone who watched the orioles last year had the joy of repeatedly watching Davis line/ground out to the 3rd baseman in right/short. As a fan, I don't find in entertaining.

Actually I'm with you on this. The stat that really grabs your attention is BABIP for left handed hitters on balls hit to right field has declined by 85 points over the last nine years and 22 points over the past year. Now not all of the decline can be attributed to the shift but clearly it has contributed. Verducci's article suggests much the same approach as you do. His idea is that the shortstop my not be allowed to move right of second base. He thinks it will give some of the faster left handed hitters a better chance on balls hit up the middle.

Historically, left handed hitters have had one major structural advantage relative to RHB--they are closer to first base. They have had one major structural disadvantage--umpires are more likely to call strikes off the outside corner against LHB than RHB.

Now there is a second structural disadvantage facing LHB--it is much easier to shift against LH pull hitters than RH pull hitters, due to the possibility of throwing a LHB out from short right field.

Unless something is done to restore balance, LH hitters are going to be at a serious disadvantage going forward. (Yes, I am left handed, so I am sensitive on this issue). Telling LH hitters to spray the ball is not a solution--some of them can do it, some can't, but in any case why should LH hitters have to give up on the idea of hitting for power while RH hitters can continue to pull the ball?

Banning the shift is one option, but it is not the only option. Another option is telling the umpires to call balls and strikes fairly and to stop giving pitchers 6 inches off the outside corner against LHB.

Historically, left handed hitters have had one major structural advantage relative to RHB--they are closer to first base. They have had one major structural disadvantage--umpires are more likely to call strikes off the outside corner against LHB than RHB.

Now there is a second structural disadvantage facing LHB--it is much easier to shift against LH pull hitters than RH pull hitters, due to the possibility of throwing a LHB out from short right field.

Unless something is done to restore balance, LH hitters are going to be at a serious disadvantage going forward. (Yes, I am left handed, so I am sensitive on this issue). Telling LH hitters to spray the ball is not a solution--some of them can do it, some can't, but in any case why should LH hitters have to give up on the idea of hitting for power while RH hitters can continue to pull the ball?

Banning the shift is one option, but it is not the only option. Another option is telling the umpires to call balls and strikes fairly and to stop giving pitchers 6 inches off the outside corner against LHB.

You left off the sizeable advantage of there being significantly more right handed pitchers.

One thing all the "hitters just need to learn to bunt" people need to realize is if we are talking a true power hitter that is feared, letting him bunt for a single is really not a win for him. Even if he does it every time and has a thousand batting average, he will never drive in runs (assuming no shift with bases loaded) or hit home runs.

One thing all the "hitters just need to learn to bunt" people need to realize is if we are talking a true power hitter that is feared, letting him bunt for a single is really not a win for him. Even if he does it every time and has a thousand batting average, he will never drive in runs (assuming no shift with bases loaded) or hit home runs.

If a guy is on third and no one else on he would drive in a run if he bunted. If he got on 600 times a year he would be producing a lot more runs than he did last year when he had 65 runs scored and 72 RBIs. If your theory was true why didn't opposing pitchers just walk Chris Davis every time he came up in 2013? He was only walked 72 times.

Barry Bonds walked 232 times in 2004 and still had an 11.4 offensive WAR and scored a ton of runs and drove in a ton too. And Chris doesn't even have to bunt. He just needs to hit a ground ball to the left side of the infield. Something as a professional baseball player should be easy enough. He is a selfish player that is why he doesn't do it. He wants home runs as he thinks that will pay him more money.

Everyone is thinking about how this disadvantaged the Orioles re:Davis. But the Orioles are one of the most prolific users of the shift and the use of the shift has corresponded with their pretty amazing defense. I would wager that the Orioles have benefited from the shift far more than they have lost to the shift.

Everyone is thinking about how this disadvantaged the Orioles re:Davis. But the Orioles are one of the most prolific users of the shift and the use of the shift has corresponded with their pretty amazing defense. I would wager that the Orioles have benefited from the shift far more than they have lost to the shift.

Someone the "D" in Davis was turned into a grin! Very weird!!

If a guy is on third and no one else on he would drive in a run if he bunted. If he got on 600 times a year he would be producing a lot more runs than he did last year when he had 65 runs scored and 72 RBIs. If your theory was true why didn't opposing pitchers just walk Chris Davis every time he came up in 2013? He was only walked 72 times.

Barry Bonds walked 232 times in 2004 and still had an 11.4 offensive WAR and scored a ton of runs and drove in a ton too. And Chris doesn't even have to bunt. He just needs to hit a ground ball to the left side of the infield. Something as a professional baseball player should be easy enough. He is a selfish player that is why he doesn't do it. He wants home runs as he thinks that will pay him more money.

You don't know anything about Chris's character. It is frustrating to see him hit ground balls into the shift but that does not mean he is selfish. For all you know, his coaches are telling him to swing. They were shifting against him in 2013 and nobody called him selfish because his approach was producing.

Also, he has done it. He has shown bunt plenty of times and executed successfully at least once:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/141651-Chris-Davis-bunted-against-shift

I agree with you that I would like to see him bunt more but no need to make personal accusations.

Archived