A Summary

weams

It has been assumed that the Orioles were the ignorant party in not permitting a good and valued employee to advance himself in this fiasco.

It appears now that everyone who felt that way was duped.

That the true story of the poaching attempt and the backstabbing of Paul Beeston has just started to come out will only feed the frenzy on this salacious "news". It's a shame that it is the weekend. There will be a new story by Monday. I'm pretty sure that we will receive no apologies for poor reporting on this mess though. If that is all that it was.

It's good that we have an organization that we can take pride in. Glad the good guys here are still the good guys.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.tsn.ca/vancouver-canadians-co-owner-shows-support-for-jays-beeston-1.190547

Canadians co-owner Jake Kerr took the opportunity to blast Blue Jays ownership, Rogers Communications Inc., for its handling of a now very-public search to replace Beeston, the Jays first-ever employee hired in 1976.

Before a sold-out ballroom of 642 business leaders, Kerr placed the blame on Edward Rogers III, deputy chairman of Rogers Communications and the son of the company's late founder Ted. He quipped that later generations of the family lacked the business sense of their forerunners.

"I didn't mean to be rude to Rogers, and I've been a friend of the Rogers family for decades, but the issue for me here is one thing and one thing only: respect," Kerr told TSN 1040 after the luncheon. "Paul Beeston is Mr. Baseball Canada. There's nobody who doesn't know that.

"If it's time for him to retire and by the way, he fully intends to -- he's told me for years that 2015 is it – but he's got his group together and [general manager] Alex [Anthopoulos] and the boys have put together a team this year that they believe in.

"If it's time for him to go, well fine. Show him out with the proper degree of decorum and respect. I shouldn't pick on the Rogers people but they must be nuts."

You can't pick up the phone and call Jerry Reinsdorf's general manager and think that nobody will think that a little odd," Kerr said. "Reinsdorf and Beeston are [tight]. Nobody has provided a reasonable explanation for why they are doing this, and worst of all, Rogers hasn't had the balls to step up and take a position.

"So where is senior management and why hasn't somebody at least saying: 'This is what we are doing.'"

Anthopoulos was scheduled to appear in Vancouver but that was cancelled Thursday night. Beeston declined to comment when approached by TSN 1040 prior to the luncheon, other than to say he "wouldn't have missed" the event because the Canadians owners were "his guys."

O! Canada.

Edward Rogers phoned the Chicago White Sox asking Kenny Williams if he wanted to be the next president and CEO of the Toronto Blue Jays.

Directly. Not an offer to interview. Or even a gage of interest. An offer of the job. Before contacting his present employer. Williams did not approach Reinsdorff about it until after Rogers did call the owner.

There's still more than one piece to this. Yes, Toronto was terribly clumsy about this, and maybe the word tampering is appropriate. We can all agree Ed Rogers is an oaf and Paul Beeston has been treated miserably.

Still, this remains a story because Dan Duquette apparently wants the job enough where he didn't help Angelos to kill the story dead. Just look at how Chicago was able to shut this down pretty quickly compared to how things have dragged on in Baltimore. That's on Dan. Angelos was crystal clear regarding how he feels about wanting Dan to stay. It's Dan who has allowed this to fester.

There's still more than one piece to this. Yes, Toronto was terribly clumsy about this, and maybe the word tampering is appropriate. We can all agree Ed Rogers is an oaf and Paul Beeston has been treated miserably.

Still, this remains a story because Dan Duquette apparently wants the job enough where he didn't help Angelos to kill the story dead. Just look at how Chicago was able to shut this down pretty quickly compared to how things have dragged on in Baltimore. That's on Dan. Angelos was crystal clear regarding how he feels about wanting Dan to stay. It's Dan who has allowed this to fester.

There is no question that Dan Duquette, like Kenny Williams, wanted the job and huge raise. Nick Carfado says that Dan has always dreamed of being a president yesterday. There is more to the Kenny Williams story we will here as well. The reason it was shut down in Chicago is that LEvine gave Rogers two names. And after the embarrassment of Reinsdorf calling Beeston directly, Rogers moved on to Dan. Kenny was offered the job. Not the chance to talk about it.

Dan can not control what reporters are willing to tweet/write. They can say whatever they want and need to, nature of their business and they can justify it because "sources" or "news worthy". Especially those on Twitter or tv.

Dan has an important job with us. He wants the best for himself. That may mean Toronto, despite the dysfunction (someplace he can bring order to).

IMO Dan is hand cuffed in what he can say and how that will come off. Kenny Williams has the benefit of an owner willing to talk about the great relationship he has with Beeston, and who is not as *****ly as Angelos. Angelos may lack tact here, do what can Dan say other than what he has?

I do not fault Dan one bit.

I can see why Toronto needs him, actually. More than us. End this by getting compensated for DD or by securing Dan with a promotion. The latter is not possible from an org standpoint, but that would be the only way the team and DD can make it look like everyone is hunky dory in Baltimore. Since that can't/won't happen, next best thing is to get compensated for damages.

Kudus again to the Toronto Sun writer for being the one to illuminate what's happened. Certainly paints a different picture than what certain tweets imply.

Directly. Not an offer to interview. Or even a gage of interest. An offer of the job. Before contacting his present employer. Williams did not approach Reinsdorff about it until after Rogers did call the owner.

Days ago that was just a "mysterious caller" and clearly tampering without someone to pin it on, but now...

Chicago may not be pursuing tampering charges yet (sounds as if they may wait until after winter, not clear) but I'm glad they have been public about this because it lends credence to our own position, publicly. Seems as if Angelos may be the one to "capitalize" on the moment right now with player compensation, but how Toronto will avoid more trouble I'm not sure. Chicago may want a piece of them too if Beeston is not still there soon.

Days ago that was just a "mysterious caller" and clearly tampering without someone to pin it on, but now...

Chicago may not be pursuing tampering charges yet (sounds as if they may wait until after winter, not clear) but I'm glad they have been public about this because it lends credence to our own position, publicly. Seems as if Angelos may be the one to "capitalize" on the moment right now with player compensation, but how Toronto will avoid more trouble I'm not sure. Chicago may want a piece of them too if Beeston is not still there soon.

Reinsdorf won't do anything while Beeston is still there.

Williams said he was willing to resign at the time. What could today look like if DD said the same?

I don't follow Chicago news but I can see that certain narratives were picked up by media and certain weren't. The DD/Angelos/MLB angle seemed to be the juicier one by Ken, despite "no comments" by Dan after being diplomatic at first, and a curt, if not resolute statement by Angelos.

Williams said he'd resign over it and crickets...

Edit: I'm sort of blowing the whole summarizing nature of this thread, sorry. Move/delete comments if necessary/possible.

Reinsdorf won't do anything while Beeston is still there.

Yes. That was mentioned in the article, and commendable among great friends.

Beeston, however, will not be there for much longer it seems and I don't see why Angelos would mind it if Reinsdorf wants to pursue charges on his own after we get compensated on our own. I honestly (clearly) have no idea what these guys would or would not do. I do see that Angelos is not bound by the same courtesy Reinsdorf is willing to extend right now.

I don't really understand why Reinsdorf won't assert tampering due to his friendship with Beeston. He's not accusing Beeston of tampering -- Beeston is a victim here. Anything that hurts Toronto hurts Beeston? Beeston's a eunuch at this point anyway.

As an aside, had anyone here ever heard of Paul Beeston before this story emerged? I certainly hadn't.

I don't really understand why Reinsdorf won't assert tampering due to his friendship with Beeston. He's not accusing Beeston of tampering -- Beeston is a victim here. Anything that hurts Toronto hurts Beeston? Beeston's a eunuch at this point anyway.

As an aside, had anyone here ever heard of Paul Beeston before this story emerged? I certainly hadn't.

Yes, I had. He was not someone who was in the press as the day to day talking head status was given to Anthopoulos. He's been around a long time. It's just that they are up there in Canada. And they are never really good. Even when they trade away their good players and spend tons of money. So I am not surprised that you haven't heard of him. He's a big deal in Canada. The Paul Richards of the franchise.

Archived