A Summary

weams

It has been assumed that the Orioles were the ignorant party in not permitting a good and valued employee to advance himself in this fiasco.

By whom?

You?

I have been in agreement with those who say the guy has a contract and needs to start acting like it.

IMO any further ugliness and poor behavior by Toronto that is exposed just serves to splash more mud on DD for being near this mess.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rick Hahn is. But again, that is just part of the the "can't stand in the way of a promotion" drag. These titles are fluid and the salaries vary wildly. It would have been a substantial raise for Kenny. And he was flat out offered the job, not just the opportunity to talk about it.

When LaCava turned down the O's offer for what became DD's job, someone on the MLB radio network said that in addition to having to deal with Angelos, the O's job wouldn't pay much more than LaCava was already making in Toronto for a position with much less responsibility.

How quickly things change. The O's, Royals, and Pirates were worse off not that many years ago. And they surely would have made the playoffs in the last 20 years if they weren't in the Yanks/Sox division.

I'm not sure about the Pirates and Royals, but the Orioles' playoff drought before 2012 was not as long as the Blue Jays' drought, was it? Am I missing something?

I'm not sure about the Pirates and Royals, but the Orioles' playoff drought before 2012 was not as long as the Blue Jays' drought, was it? Am I missing something?

I guess not, but I don't see how it's warranted to feel superior over the fact that your team made the playoffs 15 years prior, while the other team had some winning records recently and won the Series something like 18 years prior.

There's still more than one piece to this. Yes, Toronto was terribly clumsy about this, and maybe the word tampering is appropriate. We can all agree Ed Rogers is an oaf and Paul Beeston has been treated miserably.

Still, this remains a story because Dan Duquette apparently wants the job enough where he didn't help Angelos to kill the story dead. Just look at how Chicago was able to shut this down pretty quickly compared to how things have dragged on in Baltimore. That's on Dan. Angelos was crystal clear regarding how he feels about wanting Dan to stay. It's Dan who has allowed this to fester.

This. Amidst all the wailing and complaining about how Toronto has tried to poach our guy, is the simple truth that Dan, through has silence, has helped facilitate Toronto's efforts to hire him and manipulated the narrative of the press. The story is clearly about Toronto's complete bungling of this matter. But Duquette, with the help of TV media types, has made himself the victim. He's a very smart man. Maybe too smart if he ends up working for Rodgers. As Roch said, we'll be fine without him.

I guess not, but I don't see how it's warranted to feel superior over the fact that your team made the playoffs 15 years prior, while the other team had some winning records recently and won the Series something like 18 years prior.

I don't feel superior to anyone because of the sports teams I root for. How did you get that out of what I said. I was just pointing out that your statement about the Orioles being out of the playoffs longer than the Jays prior to our recent trips was incorrect.

As I stated earlier this am. I do not find that the light shining on Toronto as the bad guy or the Soap Box Weams is on about how the "Story" has been manipulated by some in the press in any way makes me feel better. (I don't really disagree, I just don't think it matters at all) DD by almost every account wants to work with these people. I think PA has everyone by the short hairs. It will continue to be interesting and probably depressing.

But DD is finished here and he will be gone, and I believe that if he gets his way, PA has grounds for tampering and perhaps a winning ace in the hole in the ongoing battle with MLB over MASN.

This. Amidst all the wailing and complaining about how Toronto has tried to poach our guy, is the simple truth that Dan, through has silence, has helped facilitate Toronto's efforts to hire him and manipulated the narrative of the press. The story is clearly about Toronto's complete bungling of this matter. But Duquette, with the help of TV media types, has made himself the victim. He's a very smart man. Maybe too smart if he ends up working for Rodgers. As Roch said, we'll be fine without him.
Yeah Dan's a bum for wanting a job that pays more and gives him more authority. How dare he. And he's an even bigger bum for not lying to the press immediately and saying he wasn't interested when he was. :rolleyestf:

I am wondering is Peter Angelos winning the battle decisively but losing the war.

Peter appears to have Ed Rogers right where he wants him. Somewhere between getting a significant return for Dan (two significant players) and Rogers losing his job because of tampering. Both Ed Rogers and we should know that the Peter will file tampering charges against Rogers if this transaction does not happen. And Peter will make it as messy as he can for Ed Rogers (with the backing Reinsdorf) which will probably cost him his job.

So the transaction has to go through from Ed Roger's stand point. At whatever cost. And Peter wins. Or does he?

What is lost in the hand to hand combat of the battle is that the O's lose Dan Duquette. Many will say that a couple of very good prospects is much greater compensation than Dan's value. Dan can be replaced they will contend. The flaw in that is there are few if any GM candidates out there that have Dan's GM experience combined with the ability to successfully work with Peter Angelos. That second part is the hardest part of all. It was nearly impossible for almost 20 years prior to Dan.

Here is a list of the players Dan has on the 40 man roster Plus:

Dan Duquette guys

Pitchers

Kevin Gausman

Wei-Yin Chen

Miguel Gonzalez

Bud Norris

Ubaldo Jimenez

Brady Brach

TJ McFarland

Ryan Webb

Wesley Wright

Jason Garcia

Logan Verrett

Catcher

JP Arencibia

Steve Clevenger

Ryan Lavarnway

Infielders

Ryan Flaherty

Christian Walker

Rey Navarro

Jimmy Paredes

Outfielders

Steve Pearce

Alejandro De Aza

David Lough

Alex Hassan

Henry Urrutia

Dariel Alvarez

DH

Delmon Young

Add to that Nelson Cruz and Andrew Miller who played big roles in making the O's Division Champs.

The list shows that Dan built the starting pitching staff that was the difference maker between the O's being a sub .500 team and a playoff winner. The position players outside of Cruz and maybe a surprising Steve Pearce are mostly depth players. Now add to it that Dan knew and probably identified Dave Wallace. Dan has improved the scouting staff especially internationally and the player development staff. Its unclear how many of them leave if their sponsor leaves.

So Peter looks positioned to win the battle. Will he lose the war?

I 100% get where you're coming from, where the concern is looking forward. Yes DD is the GM who got these people, but let me ask this: how much of this is Buck and how much is solely DD? I know they get along well, but I do not know exactly how far Buck's reach goes on this sort of thing. I suspect quite a bit. As long as Buck remains an active voice in the FO, I think we'll be ok.

Are you interpreting an initial phone call of "How would like to be CEO of the Blue Jays?" as a job offer?

Both Kenny and Reinsdorf indicated that he had been offered the job. Not a chance to try out for it. Maybe not in that article.

Kenny was silent until after he and Reinsdorf had their row, and Kenny threatened to quit and Jerry said fine, that he spoke openly about this. Dan has yet to speak. When it is over here like it is there, I am sure we will hear the equivalent. No matter who Dan works for.

Yeah Dan's a bum for wanting a job that pays more and gives him more authority. How dare he. And he's an even bigger bum for not lying to the press immediately and saying he wasn't interested when he was. :rolleyestf:[/quote

I've been one of Duquette's staunchest supporters throughout his tenure here, but yeah, I think he's a bit of a bum in this matter sure. Ten years out of the game. He gets a shot from the O's. Signs a contract extension, for the security no doubt. Achieves succes. Then trys to back out of his commitment at the first opportunity. More money, more power, justifys his actions in your mind not in mine. He didn't have to lie. He could have simply told the truth. "I'm under contract with the Orioles."

I've been one of Duquette's staunchest supporters throughout his tenure here, but yeah, I think he's a bit of a bum in this matter sure. Ten years out of the game. He gets a shot from the O's. Signs a contract extension, for the security no doubt. Achieves succes. Then trys to back out of his commitment at the first opportunity. More money, more power, justifys his actions in your mind not in mine. He didn't have to lie. He could have simply told the truth. "I'm under contract with the Orioles."

He could have handled it better, but this guy Rogers, what he is offering, and how he is doing it is unprecedented. For all we know Peter and Dan would have handled it quietly if not for the media circus out of Chicago and Toronto.

Archived