Some news on the prospect rankings front...

Slade-OH

Every time I go over the list, I seem to find another guy who I overlooked that's shown potential. This time it's Jon Keller. He's right on track - not ahead but not behind. Injuries have been a problem, but he was healthy enough to dominate as a reliever at Delmarva at 21 and will likely do that in Frederick at 22. The interesting thing was - almost all of his outings were 2 to 3 innings. That tells me they're keeping the option open to use him as a starter. He was already a mid 90's fastballer at 21 in the pen. If they use him as a starter, and he can maintain a 95 MPH fastball (hopefully with good movement), seems to me they have a legit quality prospect there. But even as a reliever, he's an intriguing talent who maybe just needs to stay healthy. And it doesn't hurt that he's a big 6'5 kid.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every time I go over the list, I seem to find another guy who I overlooked that's shown potential. This time it's Jon Keller. He's right on track - not ahead but not behind. Injuries have been a problem, but he was healthy enough to dominate as a reliever at Delmarva at 21 and will likely do that in Frederick at 22. The interesting thing was - almost all of his outings were 2 to 3 innings. That tells me they're keeping the option open to use him as a starter. He was already a mid 90's fastballer at 21 in the pen. If they use him as a starter, and he can maintain a 95 MPH fastball (hopefully with good movement), seems to me they have a legit quality prospect there. But even as a reliever, he's an intriguing talent who maybe just needs to stay healthy. And it doesn't hurt that he's a big 6'5 kid.

Not everyone can be a 1-2-3 starter. Even if a guy only ends up being a solid 4-5 for a bit, or a quality reliever that has value in that you have a cost-controlled piece, allowing you to spend money to improve the team elsewhere.

Archived