Some news on the prospect rankings front...

Slade-OH

Where is Hader in the top 100? The only "major" list I've seen is mlb.com, and he's not listed there. Kiley McDaniel of fangraphs ranks him the no. 14 prospect in the Astros' system. John Sickels has him 7th. BA ranks him 8th. I do think Hader's a good prospect, but I doubt he'll show up on any top 100 lists.

Klaw said he is no more than a reliever in his last chat. I believe the quote was all you have to do is see his arm action once and you would know.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Klaw said he is no more than a reliever in his last chat. I believe the quote was all you have to do is see his arm action once and you would know.

He's in good company, then. Other notable relievers in Klawland include Chris Sale and Sonny Gray.

That's a nice system write-up and some really positive comments about our lode of B/C prospects. It will be interesting to see who gets SP opportunities at the MLB level in 2015 with Bundy possibly ready sometime in 2015 plus Wright, Davies and Berry.

I continue to be impressed with the upside found in many of the draft picks by the scouting department hired by DD. I think many guys we took are showing talent far above their draft position so it would be encouraging to keep our picks next season and actually see our scouting department utilize our four early picks before the third round to replenish our system.

Jomar Reyes appears on his way to being one of our very best international signs. That was a very encouraging writeup though not unexpected IMO. A strong 2015 could move Reyes toward the top of the list.

Separately, but related, we know very little about our international signings since Reyes/Peralta. It would be nice to know if we were able to grab some additional high-end guys in the past year.

But, You would not bet on Hader being either. Right?

I would bet on him being what he is -- interesting deception arm that can flash power stuff and is only 20 years old. No, I wouldn't say Chris Sale is a likely outcome. But I wouldn't say it's a likely outcome for Bundy or Harvey, either.

I am still expecting Sale's arm to explode one day and cover the infield with shrapnel.

I don't think it matters at this point -- he's been worth his draft investment many times over already, and in short order with little developmental cost to the org.

I agree.

Just when I watch him throw it makes my arm hurt, and I have never pitched an inning in my life.

To be fair, you don't get paid to share your thoughts on prospects or have your opinions held up by many as a "be all end all" in player appraisal. At least, not that I'm aware of...Keith? Is that you?

To be fair, you don't get paid to share your thoughts on prospects or have your opinions held up by many as a "be all end all" in player appraisal. At least, not that I'm aware of...Keith? Is that you?

Heh?

Where did that come from?

I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Pretty sure I am qualified to say that Sale's delivery makes me feel physically uncomfortable. It is me feeling it and all. I don't have to be a paid scout to relay that information right?

Or am I misreading your comment?

Heh?

Where did that come from?

I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Pretty sure I am qualified to say that Sale's delivery makes me feel physically uncomfortable. It is me feeling it and all. I don't have to be a paid scout to relay that information right?

Or am I misreading your comment?

I was just joking with you (i.e., I get why you would feel nervous about it, that arm action is scary!), while simultaneously noting that it rubs me the wrong way when paid prospect writers make definitive statements about prospects (and particularly amateur players) based on little evidence other than "gut feel" and then refuse to back off those strong statements.

Nothing malicious was intended to be slung your way.

I would bet on him being what he is -- interesting deception arm that can flash power stuff and is only 20 years old. No, I wouldn't say Chris Sale is a likely outcome. But I wouldn't say it's a likely outcome for Bundy or Harvey, either.

I was a betting person, ten years from now, looking back, probably both Bundy and Harvey will both have more major league success than Hader. Not saying Hader won't have any.. Just not sold on the fact, that Hader was anything more than moderate to mid-range prospect.

I was a betting person, ten years from now, looking back, probably both Bundy and Harvey will both have more major league success than Hader. Not saying Hader won't have any.. Just not sold on the fact, that Hader was anything more than moderate to mid-range prospect.

Of course -- but that wasn't the point. I'm confident you'll find no evidence of me ever claiming Hader is close to the prospect Bundy/Harvey is.

Logan Verrett and T.J. McFarland have better chances of MLB impact.

Well, McFarland is already in the majors, and Verrett has a year of AAA under his belt and is a Rule 5 pick, so they clearly have opportunities for major league impact. Hader's much further away. But when you compare his performance to date to the other two, he stands up pretty well on the numbers.

Hader

Low A at age 19: 2.77 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, 8.0 K/9

High A at age 20: 2.71 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, 9.8 K/9

McFarland

GCL at age 19: 5.07 ERA, 1.55 WHIP, 6.2 K/9

Low A at age 20: .3.58 ERA, 1.41 WHIP, 6.3 K/9

High A at age 21: 3.13 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 6.5 K/9

Verrett

Low A at age 22: 3.07 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 9.3 K/9

High A at age 22: 2.09 ERA, 0.88 WHIP, 6.1 K/9

Hader did stumble in a taste of AA at age 20 at the end of the year. This is a big year for him.

Archived