Travis Snider and the 2016 Roster

BohKnowsBmore

If we can avoid injuries, I think we have the best team in the AL East from top to bottom.

I'm super excited about this year. My OP was thinking about the potential impacts on 2016 of this move, that it gives us a roster that we could pretty easily field a team without additional moves having to be made.

best team in the AL East from top to bottom

I'm not sure how anyone can look at the Boston Red Sox roster and defend this statement? The O's may be better at one position (CF). Both starting rotations are full of 2's and 3's with no one dominant. The Red Sox still have Koji and Tazawa at the back end of the bullpen, and I still expect the Red Sox to end up with Cole Hamels.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a boatload of TOR SP in next year's FA. Maybe that would be the time to sign one and trade some of our young SP for a bat or two?

Once you lose Norris and Chen to free agency your SP depth is gone. Also the Orioles will need two find a lefty starter. That's why I'm mostly interested in resigning Chen if possible.

I agree that Snider being under control for 2016 is a help. I look at it like we need one of Lough or Snider to prove they can be an everyday player in 2015. If one does, you go into 2016 needing to fill one starting OF position which is far less daunting than having to fill two OF spots. Of course neither Lough or Snider might prove to be a dependable starting option for 2016, but they are at least increasing their chances by adding Snider to the mix. There are more decent free agent outfield options annually than first base so if one of Lough/Snider works out in 2015, I am pretty confident in having a decent outfield in 2016.

First base is the bigger question. There is nothing on the free agent market and quality power hitting first baseman generally aren't available for cheap on the trade market. Maybe Walker is the solution but it is far too early to tell one way or the other.

best team in the AL East from top to bottom

I'm not sure how anyone can look at the Boston Red Sox roster and defend this statement? The O's may be better at one position (CF). Both starting rotations are full of 2's and 3's with no one dominant. The Red Sox still have Koji and Tazawa at the back end of the bullpen, and I still expect the Red Sox to end up with Cole Hamels.

We can talk about Cole Hamels if and when that happens. For now, I think our rotation is better and deeper than the Red Sox's. They've got two starters (Buchholz and Masterson) who have been good in the past but were worse than Ubaldo in 2014. They've got Porcello, who like a lot of our guys, had his best year in 2014. They've got Miley who is coming off a poor season and hasn't pitched in the AL East before. They've got Kelly who looks just so-so. And they have some young, unproven guys. I think our rotation looks much better than that.

The Red Sox payroll is at about $175 mm, so I don't know how realistic it is for them to add an ace level pitcher. I guess we'll find out.

Once you lose Norris and Chen to free agency your SP depth is gone. Also the Orioles will need two find a lefty starter. That's why I'm mostly interested in resigning Chen if possible.

Bundy and Tyler Wilson in 2016, Hunter Harvey in 2017.

We cannot re-sign everybody, and we are heavy in arbitration guys. Eventually we have to get younger and retool/rebuild from within. I am more concerned about our position guys than our pitching.

We cannot re-sign everybody, and we are heavy in arbitration guys. Eventually we have to get younger and retool/rebuild from within. I am more concerned about our position guys than our pitching.

I agree with you. In addition to the young pitchers you mentioned, we have Zach Davies, Tim Berry and Mike Wright. Any of those guys could turn out to be serviceable. Meanwhile, we have Tillman, Gonzalez, Gausman and Jimenez for at least three years each. I think our pitching is in relatively good shape.

On the other hand, we have uncertainty at C, 1B, LF, RF and DH on offense after 2015. We'll see how this year goes for Walker, Alvarez, and maybe Yaz, but it's hard to imagine we won't be looking outside our organization for some answers.

The most glaring need I see for 2016 is a starting catcher. Unless someone in the minors makes a big leap this season, acquiring a catcher should be priority #1.

What is it about Tyler Wilson that people like? Doesn't appear to have great stuff and had a very mediocre season at age 24 last season. Meanwhile, Zach Davies is 3 or 4 years younger and pitches better. And Tim Berry's a lefty with better potential, imo.

Walker, Joseph, Alvarez? None have proven they are major league caliber players. Count me as one who thinks without a move that team looks sad. Give it some time and I hope I change my mind. Machado could become offensively potent and that would be a great turn of events. Maybe Schoop stops being the worst hitter in the majors, that'd be nice. Snider could turn it on and be a solid bat for the future but right now that looks dismal outside of Jones and Machado if you feel confident he can at least be an average hitter (which I think he can). I hate to sound negative because I think we are in a terrific position but i am not writing Walker and Alvarez into any lineups just yet.

Yea DH was the one thing that popped out at me, but a guy like bay leaf should suffice at the very least.

I don't know who bay leaf is, but where does anyone see us using Delmon Young this year? Wouldn't he be a candidate for DH?

What is it about Tyler Wilson that people like? Doesn't appear to have great stuff and had a very mediocre season at age 24 last season. Meanwhile, Zach Davies is 3 or 4 years younger and pitches better. And Tim Berry's a lefty with better potential, imo.

I haven't seen him pitch honestly, but his numbers look good and consistent at each level so far. Low BB/9, high K/9. Miguel's stuff is not exactly impressive but he has been huge for us.

All three guys are RH and that does nothing to address my point of heeding a LH to replace Chen.

Walker, Joseph, Alvarez? None have proven they are major league caliber players. Count me as one who thinks without a move that team looks sad. Give it some time and I hope I change my mind. Machado could become offensively potent and that would be a great turn of events. Maybe Schoop stops being the worst hitter in the majors, that'd be nice. Snider could turn it on and be a solid bat for the future but right now that looks dismal outside of Jones and Machado if you feel confident he can at least be an average hitter (which I think he can). I hate to sound negative because I think we are in a terrific position but i am not writing Walker and Alvarez into any lineups just yet.

I can agree with you where Walker and Alvarez are concerned but Joseph has shown me he can hold his own. At the very least he is a good back up catcher.

Archived