Travis Snider and the 2016 Roster

BohKnowsBmore

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
best team in the AL East from top to bottom

I'm not sure how anyone can look at the Boston Red Sox roster and defend this statement? The O's may be better at one position (CF). Both starting rotations are full of 2's and 3's with no one dominant. The Red Sox still have Koji and Tazawa at the back end of the bullpen, and I still expect the Red Sox to end up with Cole Hamels.

So at every position, you think the Red Sox are clearly better, but the O's may be better at CF. I think it's pretty clear that you are looking at this from a hyper-pessimistic vantage point, moreso than those who you would label as "drinking the kool-aid" or wearing orange-colored glasses. O's won 96 games last year, Red Sox won 71. The O's must be better somewhere.

CF - Rusney Castillo has 40 MLB plate appearances and you're willing to potentially concede that he might be better than Jones...?!? That's lunacy.

SS - You're seriously putting Bogaerts above Hardy at this point? He was worth 0.1 rWAR last season, compared to Hardy at 3.3.

3B - Pablo Sandoval over Manny Machado? That's crazy. Manny had a better OPS than him last season and bat is where Sandoval would have to be much better considering he's not going to come close to MM with the glove.

1B - At the very least, I would think this is a toss-up between Napoli and Davis. No way you can put this definitively for the Sox (unless you're giving them the nod in every potential toss-up, which you seem to be doing).

C - This should be a runaway for Matt Wieters.

RF - Mookie Betts and Pearce should at least be close.

LF - Hanley hasn't shown anythign with regard to being able to field the position, but I will give him the edge.

2B - They run away with this one.

DH - They win this one.

I've got it as:

O's - CF, C, SS, 3B

Sox - 2B, DH, LF

Toss-up/Close - 1B, RF

I think your assessment of them being better at every position except for maybe CF is absolutely absurd.

So at every position, you think the Red Sox are clearly better, but the O's may be better at CF. I think it's pretty clear that you are looking at this from a hyper-pessimistic vantage point, moreso than those who you would label as "drinking the kool-aid" or wearing orange-colored glasses. O's won 96 games last year, Red Sox won 71. The O's must be better somewhere.

CF - Rusney Castillo has 40 MLB plate appearances and you're willing to potentially concede that he might be better than Jones...?!? That's lunacy.

SS - You're seriously putting Bogaerts above Hardy at this point? He was worth 0.1 rWAR last season, compared to Hardy at 3.3.

3B - Pablo Sandoval over Manny Machado? That's crazy. Manny had a better OPS than him last season and bat is where Sandoval would have to be much better considering he's not going to come close to MM with the glove.

1B - At the very least, I would think this is a toss-up between Napoli and Davis. No way you can put this definitively for the Sox (unless you're giving them the nod in every potential toss-up, which you seem to be doing).

LF - Hanley hasn't shown anythign with regard to being able to field the position, but I will give him the edge.

DH - They win this one.

I've got it as:

O's - CF, C, SS, 3B

Sox - 2B, DH, LF

Toss-up/Close - 1B, RF

I think your assessment of them being better at every position except for maybe CF is absolutely absurd.

Good breakdown. I do think the Sox may outscore us this year. They won't outdefend us.

While the Travis Snider acquisition is not a major move, it's one that has the potential to pay off big in 2015. One underrated aspect of this move is what it does for us in 2016. Many have mentioned is two years of control as a plus, but I wanted to dive a little deeper into what that second year of control means for the club moving forward. It's pretty clear that DD values roster flexibility in a big way. After next year, it is very likely that we will lose a bunch of guys to FA, many of them getting a QO:

Davis

Wieters

Chen

Norris

Pearce

Similarly, if the Orioles stink in 2015, those guys might be traded at the deadline for a pretty good return. I certainly hope we are in contention, and believe that this team is a 90-win-caliber team, so I'm thinking more in terms of losses to FA here. Anyway, if we hypothetically lose all of these guys, the FO should have a fair amount of money to play with, but the addition of Snider really rounds out a potential 2016 OD roster so that we would not HAVE to make a move if there is nothing of quality available.

OF: Travis Snider

CF: Adam Jones

OF: Dariel Alvarez

4OF: David Lough

C: Caleb Joseph

1B: Christian Walker

2B: Jonathan Schoop

3B: Manny Machado

SS: JJ Hardy

UT: Ryan Flaherty

SP: Chris Tillman

SP: Kevin Gausman

SP: Dylan Bundy

SP: Miguel Gonzalez

SP: Ubaldo Jimenez

CL: Zach Britton

Obviously, we do not know what Alvarez and Walker will bring at the MLB level, but both are at AAA and knocking on the door. I hope we are able to bring back one (or both) of Davis/Wieters, as I really like both of them. Similarly, I'm not praying that we do not do anything and keep the roster above for 2016 OD. That being said, there really isn't any glaring hole that jumps out at me and causes panic. We should be able to supplement that with one big signing and have a team that can continue to compete in 2016 and beyond.

That is a lot of IFs and Hopes for 2016 if we're not able to sign any of the FAs next offseason.

DH - They win this one.

I've got it as:

O's - CF, C, SS, 3B

Sox - 2B, DH, LF

Toss-up/Close - 1B, RF

You seem to have left Allen Craig and Shane Victorino off their roster. Better tell Ferrell, I'm pretty sure they are in the mix for the starting corner OF spots with Castillo and Betts in CF

I can agree with you where Walker and Alvarez are concerned but Joseph has shown me he can hold his own. At the very least he is a good back up catcher.

He is proposed as the starting catcher in the OP. He is not starting material. Serviceable as a backup but it ends there unless he has some sort of breakout year.

You seem to have left Allen Craig and Shane Victorino off their roster. Better tell Ferrell, I'm pretty sure they are in the mix for the starting corner OF spots with Castillo and Betts in CF

Ok... That's what pushes their roster over ours? I conceded LF already and I'm not sure how that tops Adam jones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is proposed as the starting catcher in the OP. He is not starting material. Serviceable as a backup but it ends there unless he has some sort of breakout year.

The point was that we seem to have someone at every position such that we can supplement and add to without necessarily having to fill a gaping hole because there is nothing in the pipeline or on the roster. The larger point was about roster flexibility and options. I think I mention how I would want wieters back as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived