So what free agents are still out there

atomic

No. I don't think they even wanted him back at any price.

I had done a cursory look at his numbers and it appears that his bat had rebounded last season, 800+ ops, albeit in limited plate appearances (286). Apparently his glove has been beyond atrocious the last few years. I can see why there would be no QO attached, pretty obvious actually.

Any idea where he fits in at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The draft picks are meaningless. This is not the NFL

First of all, I'm pretty sure this team would be much worse off without the likes of Matt Wieters, Manny Machado and Kevin Gausman, all recent first round picks. That's not to mention the likes of Dylan Bundy and Hunter Harvey, who are knocking on the door and provide the sizzle within our farm system (tradeable assets or high potential future contributors).

Second, I will direct your attention to the following chart:

Round Selected / % Probability to Play in MLB

Round 1 Selections -66% Probability to Play in MLB

Round 2 Selections -49% Probability to Play in MLB

Round 3-5 Selections -32% Probability to Play in MLB

Round 6-10 Selections -20% Probability to Play in MLB

Round 11-20 Selections -11% Probability to Play in MLB

Round 21-50 Selections -7% Probability to Play in MLB

All data and information used in this article is courtesy of Baseball Reference, Cornell University and Prospect Watch. By: Mike Rosenbaum / (MLB Prospects Lead Writer) on June 12, 2012

It seems that high selections, which we would start forfeiting (1st rounder for first QO guy, 2nd rounder for second QO guy, etc.) have a much much higher chance of reaching the show and providing cost-controlled talent, which is essential to small/mid-market teams staying competitive.

https://new.berecruited.com/athletes/521209/blog/061113-question-what-percentage-of-mlb-draft-picks-make-it-to-the-mlb-salary

First of all, I'm pretty sure this team would be much worse off without the likes of Matt Wieters, Manny Machado and Kevin Gausman, all recent first round picks. That's not to mention the likes of Dylan Bundy and Hunter Harvey, who are knocking on the door and provide the sizzle within our farm system (tradeable assets or high potential future contributors).

Second, I will direct your attention to the following chart:

It seems that high selections, which we would start forfeiting (1st rounder for first QO guy, 2nd rounder for second QO guy, etc.) have a much much higher chance of reaching the show and providing cost-controlled talent, which is essential to small/mid-market teams staying competitive.

https://new.berecruited.com/athletes/521209/blog/061113-question-what-percentage-of-mlb-draft-picks-make-it-to-the-mlb-salary

I believe the top 10 picks are protected from draft pick compensation.

I believe the top 10 picks are protected from draft pick compensation.

Yea. I did consider that. Point still holds, though. Harvey wasn't top ten. Plus, we aren't in a protected situation this year anyway... And we lose a second rounder in that case if I remember correctly. Which is the next highest chance of that player making it to the mlb...

Yea. I did consider that. Point still holds, though. Harvey wasn't top ten. Plus, we aren't in a protected situation this year anyway... And we lose a second rounder in that case if I remember correctly. Which is the next highest chance of that player making it to the mlb...

Ok I wasnt sure why you listed Wieters, Machado, Bundy, etc.

We also gained a first rounder from M's (19th overall) - so every year could be very different. Which could afford us to sign a player attached to a QO.

Just wait to 2016, We will have plenty of compensation. :slytf:

We also gained a first rounder from M's (19th overall) - so every year could be very different. Which could afford us to sign a player attached to a QO.

Actually, the we will get a sandwich pick for Nelson signing with the M's. They forfeit their pick to sign him.

Well regardless of whether they were high picks or not, the statement was that draft picks don't matter. Those picks being successful is a huge part of our recent success and improvement over the years where our draft picks provided almost nothing.

A few of the players listed in the OP have already been signed.

I took a look at what was left in regards to legitimate MLB talent that was left in the free agent market. Might have missed some but this is the guys I saw out there. Any interest in any of them (I know we aren't getting Shields or Soriano)

James Shields

Burke Badenhop

Rafael Soriano

Geovany Soto - signed with White Sox (minor league deal)

Chris Young

Rickie Weeks

Francisco Rodriguez

Mike Adams

Joba Chamberlain

Tim Stauffer - signed with Twins

Craig Breslow - signed with Red Sox

Matt Belisle - signed with Cardinals

Rafael Betancourt - signed with Rockies

Archived