2016 San Diego Padres

OFFNY

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there's an underlying point that Davis didn't make entirely clear.

He said things are going to have to change as far as contracts are concerned. He's not interested in playing for teams that aren't going to contend.

I think he was personally upset by the loss of Cruz, Miller and Markakis. Losing solid teammates because the front office is phobic of mulit-year contracts would make anyone question their club.

It also makes one wonder how many more of the Orioles' cherished pillars will be lost after 2015 for the same reason. Not to mention they almost lost Duquette and still could.

Davis is a simple country boy and not too savvy about what to say to the media, or when to say it. But personally, I like seeing SOMEBODY with a voice bashing the historically cheap ownership.

Sure, they signed Jimenez to a big contract, God only knows why, but let's not pretend that the Orioles CAN'T afford to sign their current stars to big contracts like New York, Boston and Toronto do, they're simply too cheap to.

He said things are going to have to change as far as contracts are concerned. He's not interested in playing for teams that aren't going to contend.

I think he was personally upset by the loss of Cruz, Miller and Markakis. Losing solid teammates because the front office is phobic of mulit-year contracts would make anyone question their club.

It also makes one wonder how many more of the Orioles' cherished pillars will be lost after 2015 for the same reason. Not to mention they almost lost Duquette and still could.

Davis is a simple country boy and not too savvy about what to say to the media, or when to say it. But personally, I like seeing SOMEBODY with a voice bashing the historically cheap ownership.

Sure, they signed Jimenez to a big contract, God only knows why, but let's not pretend that the Orioles CAN'T afford to sign their current stars to big contracts like New York, Boston and Toronto do, they're simply too cheap to.

I think he said exactly what Scott Boras told him to say. The "cheap" Orioles will have a payroll around 12th in all of MLB this year. I was upset when he was suspended last year. I'm sorry he did something that kept the team from making the World Series while simultaneously stinking up the joint. Coming from a guy who has had exactly one standout year, his remarks were comical.

I think he said exactly what Scott Boras told him to say. The "cheap" Orioles will have a payroll around 12th in all of MLB this year. I was upset when he was suspended last year. I'm sorry he did something that kept the team from making the World Series while simultaneously stinking up the joint. Coming from a guy who has had exactly one standout year, his remarks were comical.

Of course he did. Scott Boras is very good at what he does. And using his players as mouthpieces for his own agency's agenda is absolutely part of this. I am certain Chris is not too stupid to realize this. He just knows that he lost that lovin' feeling last year and he will be playing elsewhere. Outside of his own control now.

Wow. I can't tell you how much of this is off the wall and untrue. There is not even a logical progression to these comments.

In the early part of the off-season, I was hoping the O's would sign La Roche to a two-year deal and non-tender Davis. His remarks just make me wish they had.
I don't like LaRoche either. I'll be happy with the pick for Chris and for the singing for his supper that he will be forced to do shortly. He will be begging the Orioles to keep him if he does not have a good season. Or he will be Tokyo-Fabulous.

Our FO is not "phobic of multi year contracts". JJ Hardy was just signed to such a deal and it appears both Cruz and Markakis had multi-year offers, but both pushed for max contracts past the point the Os were willing to go and both now signed contracts labeled as poor moves by the FOs of their new teams.

NYY is sitting on so many poor LTC it is comical. Our FO has avoided some enormous landmines this offseason and I, for one, am pleased with the likely competitiveness of the team AND the FO being able to make decisions that will result in extra early picks in the 2015 draft.

Our FO is not "phobic of multi year contracts". JJ Hardy was just signed to such a deal and it appears both Cruz and Markakis had multi-year offers, but both pushed for max contracts past the point the Os were willing to go and both now signed contracts labeled as poor moves by the FOs of their new teams.

NYY is sitting on so many poor LTC it is comical. Our FO has avoided some enormous landmines this offseason and I, for one, am pleased with the likely competitiveness of the team AND the FO being able to make decisions that will result in extra early picks in the 2015 draft.

Nor is the ownership "cheap" It has just been bad. And by bad, I mean having the wrong people in charge and being too meddlesome itself in the past. Not too cheap. It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you.

That type of comment section rhetoric always gets addressed when it comes to the Orioles Hangout. As do my hope and dreams for a brighter tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>So, Kimbrel and B.J. to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Padres?src=hash">#Padres</a>. Maybin, Quentin, Wisler, one other and 41st pick to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Braves?src=hash">#Braves</a>.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">April 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived