2016 San Diego Padres

OFFNY

If they can trade the player formerly known as BJ Upton to get out of a bad contract they should be able to deal Nick at some point if they need to.

I'm not entirely sure about that. For some reason, teams have been willing to keep trying with BJ Upton in the hopes that he finally delivers fully on the promise he's shown but never truly come close to matching and at age 30 is looking less and less likely that he will. Nick has largely been what's been most of his career and in certain areas has trended downwards for several seasons, and I say that as someone who was always in the tank for Nick. I struggle to believe anyone would pick up the rest of Nick's contract unless he takes it to another level in Atlanta.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not entirely sure about that. For some reason, teams have been willing to keep trying with BJ Upton in the hopes that he finally delivers fully on the promise he's shown but never truly come close to matching and at age 30 is looking less and less likely that he will. Nick has largely been what's been most of his career and in certain areas has trended downwards for several seasons, and I say that as someone who was always in the tank for Nick. I struggle to believe anyone would pick up the rest of Nick's contract unless he takes it to another level in Atlanta.

Eh San Diego said the only way they could make the Kimbrel deal work was by taking on Upton's contract. They didn't want him.

If they can trade the player formerly known as BJ Upton to get out of a bad contract they should be able to deal Nick at some point if they need to.

They were able to trade Upton because they also traded their most valuable remaining piece to move the salary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Is there a more poorly constructed, poorly thought out team than the off season winner?

That's why we play the games. I am not surprised at all that we're a better team than SD this year at all. SD went all in and at this rate they'll be fortunate to finish in third.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

We've talked about Shields but it'd be nearly unprecedented for a long-term FA signing to be traded immediately.

Grantland ran a pretty scathing piece on Preller this week, and it seems like a reversal of course to sell is coming this month.

http://grantland.com/features/aj-preller-mlb-san-diego-padres-national-league-west/

Ian Kennedy's the impending free agent who can probably pack his bags now and is another Mike Leake type. Those two guys are a tick better than Feldman was a couple years back in my mind.

He has two years of control left (was a super two, so sizable Arb3/Arb4 paydays pending), but another tick up in raw talent Tyson Ross is an interesting name. He blends strikeouts and groundballs as well as anyone, and like all the Padres pitchers, his surface numbers have suffered by Preller basically punting infield defense (Will Middlebrooks even has 7 games at SS). He'd lose Petco, but gain Orioles infield defense.

Infield defense being one of our main strengths, I'm always intrigued by pitchers in bad situations that might exceptionally benefit from our gloves. Ross is a perfect fit in that respect. If he were on the market, would you be interested?

• 5 weeks later...

Archived