Hank Aaron in 1974: F Robby Should Have Gotten Angels Managing Job

OFFNY

o

As I was watching a video of the 1974 All-Star game, I heard something that caught my attention.

In the 6th inning following a walk to Thurman Munson, Frank Robinson came in to pinch-hit. Announcer Tony Kubek stated that in an interview before the game, Hank Aaron was asked if he would take the job as manager of the Braves if he were offered it.

Not only did Aaron say that he would take the job, but he also asserted that he felt that Frank Robinson should have gotten the California Angels' job as their manager (Bobby Winkles had been fired one month earlier, and was subsequently replaced by Dick Williams) ...... one year previous to Robinson being named player-manager of the Cleveland Indians.

Kubek then went on to say, "Something is going to get stirred up in the press tomorrow, fellas."

I don't know if anything ever became of it in the press as Kubek asserted would happen, but I think that it's really cool that Aaron was that outspoken about the former Reds and Orioles superstar deserving to be a major league manager back in 1974.

MODERATORS:) It's the off-season, and this is mildly Orioles-related, so it would be greatly appreciated if you could give this a few hours on the main board before transferring it the MLB section.

Scroll to 1 hr, 29 mins.

o

I doubt anything ever came of it in the press, but can you imagine the minor $%^#storm that'd be created if this happened today?

Was Robinson ever considered for that role? Seems odd that Aaron would bring that up out of nowhere. I watched the clip, for some reason it made me feel that it was discussed at some point and Robinson got picked over.

I also think the player/manager is something we'll never see again. Robinson got to do it for two years, Pete Rose did it and I think those two are probably the last to do it. In Robinson's 1st year as a player manager he hit .237 but somehow OPS'd .894(!!!) in limited action.

I doubt anything ever came of it in the press, but can you imagine the minor $%^#storm that'd be created if this happened today?

Was Robinson ever considered for that role? Seems odd that Aaron would bring that up out of nowhere. I watched the clip, for some reason it made me feel that it was discussed at some point and Robinson got picked over.

I also think the player/manager is something we'll never see again. Robinson got to do it for two years, Pete Rose did it and I think those two are probably the last to do it. In Robinson's 1st year as a player manager he hit .237 but somehow OPS'd .894(!!!) in limited action.

I believe that between when Frank did it and when Rose did it, the White Sox also had a player manager. I'll say 1979ish. An infielder. Can't come up with his name OTTOMH and too lazy to look it up here with only phone access to the internet.

I believe that between when Frank did it and when Rose did it, the White Sox also had a player manager. I'll say 1979ish. An infielder. Can't come up with his name OTTOMH and too lazy to look it up here with only phone access to the internet.

OK I got un-lazy and looked it up. Don Kessinger was player manager for the White Sox for about 2/3 of the 1979 season. Some kid named LaRussa replaced him in August.

o

As I was watching today's Orioles-Yankees game on the YES network, Michael Kay reminded us all that today is the 43rd Anniversary of Hank Aaron passing Babe Ruth on the all-time home run list, hitting the 715th round-tripper of his career off of the Dodgers' Al Downing ........ on this day (April 8th), in 1974.

I hope that all is well with Hammerin' Hank, wherever he is. ) :)

o

• 1 year later...
On 4/8/2017 at 7:16 PM, OFFNY said:

o

As I was watching today's Orioles-Yankees game on the YES network, Michael Kay reminded us all that today is the 43rd Anniversary of Hank Aaron passing Babe Ruth on the all-time home run list, hitting the 715th round-tripper of his career off of the Dodgers' Al Downing ........ on this day (April 8th), in 1974.

o

o

Happy 715th home run anniversary, Henry. ) :)

o

On 4/8/2017 at 7:16 PM, OFFNY said:

o

o

8 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Happy 715th home run anniversary, Henry. ) :)

o

o

How to pitch to Frank Robinson ??? Hold the ball, and pray !!!

Hank Aaron, on Frank Robinson Statue Day (2012)

o

On 2/16/2015 at 10:21 PM, OFFNY said:

o

As I was watching a video of the 1974 All-Star game, I heard something that caught my attention.

In the 6th inning following a walk to Thurman Munson, Frank Robinson came in to pinch-hit. Announcer Tony Kubek stated that in an interview before the game, Hank Aaron was asked if he would take the job as manager of the Braves if he were offered it.

Not only did Aaron say that he would take the job, but he also asserted that he felt that Frank Robinson should have gotten the California Angels' job as their manager (Bobby Winkles had been fired one month earlier, and was subsequently replaced by Dick Williams) ...... one year previous to Robinson being named player-manager of the Cleveland Indians.

Kubek then went on to say, "Something is going to get stirred up in the press tomorrow, fellas."

I don't know if anything ever became of it in the press as Kubek asserted would happen, but I think that it's really cool that Aaron was that outspoken about the former Reds and Orioles superstar deserving to be a major league manager back in 1974.

MODERATORS:) It's the off-season, and this is mildly Orioles-related, so it would be greatly appreciated if you could give this a few hours on the main board before transferring it the MLB section.

Scroll to 1 hr, 29 mins.

o

Cool watching Gaylord Perry pitch to Hank Aaron.  They said Perry's 15 game winning streak ended a 10 inning loss.  I was like wow 10 innings pitched. Then I looked up the game logs for Perry that season and he pitched a 15 inning complete game. And he pitched to 44.  They made pitchers stronger back then.

I wonder why I dont see pitchers throwing the fork ball so much anymore.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Cool watching Gaylord Perry pitch to Hank Aaron.  They said Perry's 15 game winning streak ended a 10 inning loss.  I was like wow 10 innings pitched. Then I looked up the game logs for Perry that season and he pitched a 15 inning complete game. And he pitched to 44.  They made pitchers stronger back then.

I wonder why I dont see pitchers throwing the fork ball so much anymore.

If you're talking about Gaylord Perry, that sure was a greasy fork!  ?

Archived