Guesses on the first round of cut?

wildcard

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baltimore Orioles ‏@Orioles 25s25 seconds ago

(1/2) The Orioles have optioned RHP Oliver Drake to Triple-A Norfolk.

Baltimore Orioles ‏@Orioles 14s14 seconds ago

(2/2) INF Michael Almanzar, RHP Dane De La Rosa, LHP Chris Jones, & CA Brian Ward have been reassigned to minor league camp.

0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites

Reply Retweet Favorite

More

Do you have this same opinion when Ortiz shows us up on his monster blasts? If so, okay, I have no argument. But if not, well we cannot be okay with our players doing it but get upset when the other team does it.

I personally hate the showboating stuff in sports today, whether it be taking 3 minutes to round the bases on a home run, or dancing every time a player makes a sack in the NFL (especially if the sacker's team is getting killed in the game). But then again...I'm a middle aged white dude. ;)

I don't like seeing David Ortiz hit home runs against the Orioles. But I don't believe in passing value judgments on other cultures. Their is nothing more inherently "right" about putting your head down and running around the bases. It is just a different way of doing things. If relievers are going to clap heir hands and pump their fists after making the third out in the eighth inning or Fernando Rodney does his quiver and arrow thing, then hitters can take a peak at their home runs.

I get fired up when my team shows emotions and celebrates, I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with it. I have a much bigger problem with pitchers trying to enforce the unwritten rules by throwing at a player where it could hurt that player's career. Especially when the player that they are throwing at is just whoever happens to be batting next and not the player who committed the perceived wrong.

I don't like seeing David Ortiz hit home runs against the Orioles. But I don't believe in passing value judgments on other cultures. Their is nothing more inherently "right" about putting your head down and running around the bases. It is just a different way of doing things. If relievers are going to clap heir hands and pump their fists after making the third out in the eighth inning or Fernando Rodney does his quiver and arrow thing, then hitters can take a peak at their home runs.

I get fired up when my team shows emotions and celebrates, I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with it. I have a much bigger problem with pitchers trying to enforce the unwritten rules by throwing at a player where it could hurt that player's career. Especially when the player that they are throwing at is just whoever happens to be batting next and not the player who committed the perceived wrong.

You should see what they do in Korea. I think it is entertaining as heck even if they embarrass themselves sometimes.

[video=youtube;A32WDEb2iSs]

That said, this is MLB spring training and Alvarez should know better.

You should see what they do in Korea. I think it is entertaining as heck even if they embarrass themselves sometimes.

[video=youtube;A32WDEb2iSs]

That said, this is MLB spring training and Alvarez should know better.

Yeah, I love a good bat flip. Especially on foul balls or warning track flyouts. They are fun and exciting and I would rather have a player like Carlos Gomez flip a bat and take a peek at a ball he destroyed than a player like Bryan McCann not allow him to complete a home run trot.

Dariel Alvarez smacked a three-run home run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning in Saturday's 7-6 loss to the Red Sox, but manager Buck Showalter didn't like the way he admired his home run coming out of the batter's box, the Baltimore Sun reports.

"He did a couple things that got him noticed today, some good and some bad," Showalter said. "He had a good at-bat. Is that the first home run he hit in his career? I don't think so. Somehow, I thought it might have been. He's very exuberant. He likes to play. He's a good kid. We like him. He does a lot of things well."

Alvarez, who is 3 for 5 with one home run this spring, hit .306/.330/.472 with 15 home runs, 87 RBI and eight stolen bases in 532 at-bats with Double-A Bowie and Triple-A Norfolk in 2014.

I'm not sure what MLB's obsession is w/ not celebrating something great. This wasn't Alvarez's first HR, but I'm sure it was his first HR in ML spring training. Something would be wrong w/ him if he wasn't excited.

Buck is being a little too "get off my lawn" here. 1. It's ST. 2. After starving on a beach for days waiting for a boat to come help him defect, he may have had a burst of emotion to hit a HR in MLB ST. Damn Buck, you take an L for this.

Yeah, I love a good bat flip. Especially on foul balls or warning track flyouts. They are fun and exciting and I would rather have a player like Carlos Gomez flip a bat and take a peek at a ball he destroyed than a player like Bryan McCann not allow him to complete a home run trot.

Was McCann suspended or fined by MLB for that? Imo, he should have been.

Was McCann suspended or fined by MLB for that? Imo, he should have been.

He was fined but not suspended (or ejected). Gomez was ejected from that game and suspended for a game. Gomez broke an unwritten rule (taunting, showing up the pitcher) while McCann broke a written rule (obstructing the baserunner). You can dislike Carlos Gomez for what he did but at least Gomez was involved in a baseball related activity at the time. Preventing a player from rounding the bases is childish.

I actually agree that Gomez should have been ejected because of the taunting while rounding the bases, but I have no problem with the bat flip or watching the home run.

Hm-m-m.....that HR by Gomez was really clocked. It landed in the last row of seats in the CF bleachers and bounced up onto a promenade deck. I don't blame him for admiring it a bit. As for taunting.....I didn't see it. What i saw was Maholm the pitcher and Freeman, the 1B both yelling at Gomez and Gomez responding as he rounded the bases. As for McCann blocking home plate. He should have been ejected on the spot by the home plate umpire

Archived