Matusz, de Aza, McFarland, Lavarnway

wildcard

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verrett has pitched well this spring. I think there is a good chance he does not clear waivers. Trading him may be a better path.

I think it is a longshot that he gets claimed. A team is not only going to have to release a player off their 40 man roster but they have to create a spot for the 25 man roster. A team is going to add a player that they have never had in their organization and don't know at all for a player they know. And of course they have to keep that player all year.

I think it is a longshot that he gets claimed. A team is not only going to have to release a player off their 40 man roster but they have to create a spot for the 25 man roster. A team is going to add a player that they have never had in their organization and don't know at all for a player they know. And of course they have to keep that player all year.

You make it sound a lot harder than it actually is. It is just like a regular waiver claim, minus the rule 5 year long restriction. Plus, I would assume teams in need of pitching have had scouts at Os games knowing they have plenty of pitchers that could be on their way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year they kept Almanzar around until June 30th when they let him go. Who knows if they will try something similar this year. Even if Garcia does not accrue enough service time this year keep in mind a lot of the bullpen guys are free agents next year. If they can keep Garcia away from Boston this year it might be easier to keep him on the roster next year.

You make it sound a lot harder than it actually is. It is just like a regular waiver claim, minus the rule 5 year long restriction. Plus, I would assume teams in need of pitching have had scouts at Os games knowing they have plenty of pitchers that could be on their way out.

They still have to keep him on their team all year, the Rule 5 rules still apply. I am not saying the claim is hard but finding room for a player that you have never had in your organization is. Not like a team that claims him had him all spring to see him.

They still have to keep him on their team all year, the Rule 5 rules still apply. I am not saying the claim is hard but finding room for a player that you have never had in your organization is. Not like a team that claims him had him all spring to see him.

Why is it any harder than claiming anyone else on waivers from another team?

Why is it any harder than claiming anyone else on waivers from another team?

Verrett would have to stay on the major league roster all year. If you claim a player with options he can be sent to the minors, Verrett can't. My point is any team that adds him will be adding a player that has never been with them and they have to keep on the roster all year at the cost of freeing up a 40 man roster spot.

Verrett would have to stay on the major league roster all year. If you claim a player with options he can be sent to the minors, Verrett can't. My point is any team that adds him will be adding a player that has never been with them and they have to keep on the roster all year at the cost of freeing up a 40 man roster spot.

So it is basically like claiming a player with no options. I just don't get the big deal you are making. Paredes will likely be in the same situation. But I doubt you would make such a big deal about that.

So it is basically like claiming a player with no options. I just don't get the big deal you are making. Paredes will likely be in the same situation. But I doubt you would make such a big deal about that.

I am not trying to make a big deal out of it. I believe that Verrett would clear waivers, that's all. If the Orioles like him and would want to aquire him in a trade I think he will wind back up with the Mets.

At least a player who is out of options has major league experience, Verrett does not. I am not worried about Paredes leaving myself. Last year we claimed him, then KC claimed him from us, sent him to the minors and then we claimed him again. There are reasons why he is available all the time. Remold last year was on 3 teams.

All I am saying is I doubt another team will drop a player so they can add Verrett to their pen. Even if a team does it is doubtful he would stay with that team all the year.

It isn't like the Orioles can keep him. It is going to be hard enough to keep Garcia. The Orioles will just have to hope he goes back to the Mets. So many teams think they are contenders now it is harder for teams to risk keeping a player.

Archived