Matusz, de Aza, McFarland, Lavarnway

wildcard

If the O's a contender, liked Verret enough to risk keeping him on their rooster over their 25th man, why wouldn't other teams like him?

The current FO has a thing for rule V guys that isn't universally shared.

Anyone know how many rule V guys, on average, make it a full season with their new teams?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The current FO has a thing for rule V guys that isn't universally shared.

Anyone know how many rule V guys, on average, make it a full season with their new teams?

Last three years: 20 kept of 36 selected over 3 years or 56%

2013 - 9 selected, 3 kept

White Sox select catcher Adrian Nieto from the Nationals.

Rockies select right-hander Tommy Kahnle from the Yankees

Brewers select left-hander Wei-Chung Wang from the Pirates.

2012 - 15 selected, 9 kept (4 by draft, 2 by refused return, 2 by trade, 1 selected off waivers)

Astros take righty Josh Fields from Red Sox

Cubs take righty Hector Rondon from Indians

Twins take righty Ryan Pressly from Red Sox

Orioles take lefty T.J. McFarland from Indians

Astros take first baseman Nate Freiman from Padres

December 6, 2012: Drafted by the Houston Astros from the San Diego Padres in the 2012 rule 5 draft.

March 23, 2013: Selected off waivers by the Oakland Athletics from the Houston Astros.

Marlins take outfielder Alfredo Silverio from Dodgers

Dodgers refused to take him back, he stay with the Marlins in the minors.

White Sox take infielder Angel Sanchez from Angels

Angels refused to take him back. Stayed with the White Sox in the minors.

Mets take lefty Kyle Lobstein from Rays; traded to Tigers for cash considerations

Detroit Tigers retain Rule 5 Draft pick Kyle Lobstein; trade catcher Curt Casali to Tampa Bay Rays

Indians take first baseman Chris McGuiness from Rangers

December 6, 2012: Drafted by the Cleveland Indians from the Texas Rangers in the 2012 rule 5 draft.

March 27, 2013: Returned (earlier draft pick) by the Cleveland Indians to the Texas Rangers.

December 30, 2013: Traded by the Texas Rangers to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Miles Mikolas.

2011 - 12 selected, 8 kept(7 by draft, 1 by trade)

Two were selected off waivers but were returned by the claiming team.

Astros take Rhiner Cruz from Mets.

Mariners take Lucas Luetge from Brewers

Orioles take Ryan Flaherty from Cubs.

Royals take Cesar Cabral from Red Sox; traded to Yankees for cash.

Cubs take Lendy Castillo from Phillies.

Red Sox take Marwin Gonzalez from Cubs, traded to Astros for Marco Duarte

Diamondbacks take Brett Lorin from Pirates.

The Snakes traded 20-year-old right-hander Robert Rowland to the Pirates to retain Lorin, who was a Rule 5 Draft selection in December

Robert Fish

Selected by Atlanta from LA Angels in Rule 5 draft 12/8/11. As player selected in Rule 5 draft two consecutive years, Fish may become a free agent if he clears waivers and need not be returned to his original club, the Angels. Sent outright to Triple-A by Atlanta 11/1/12.

I like the potential (and usefulness) of both Garcia and Verret moreso than past players.

But let's look at our track record. Flaherty has probably been hurt by lack of playing time and McFarland isn't exactly in our top 10 list of prospects.

Just some perspective here.

Seems one or two per year.

I remember Verret (not Garcia) being talked about as possibly being that one player this year, and it was before the Orioles got him. So somebody's on his side.

Regarding Rene's post, I am very happy with the returns from Flaherty and McFarland even though they've been near the bottom of the pecking order.

I remember Verret (not Garcia) being talked about as possibly being that one player this year, and it was before the Orioles got him. So somebody's on his side.

Regarding Rene's post, I am very happy with the returns from Flaherty and McFarland even though they've been near the bottom of the pecking order.

The one guy we should have kept, we didn't. Jose Bastista. Yes, different regime but just saying based on results, these aren't the Smartest Guys in the Room moves....

I do like Verret however. I would not give him back if a trade for Matusz is not worked out. At a minimum, evaluate him a while longer. My guess is Garcia is on the DL to start the season.

The one guy we should have kept, we didn't. Jose Bastista. Yes, different regime but just saying based on results, these aren't the Smartest Guys in the Room moves....

I do like Verret however. I would not give him back if a trade for Matusz is not worked out. At a minimum, evaluate him a while longer. My guess is Garcia is on the DL to start the season.

Bautista's breakout season was 2010, six years after the Orioles, Devil Rays, and Royals all tried to keep him as a Rule 5 player and gave up.

That was Mike Flanagan's watch. I really miss him.

The Rule 5 is a way to add depth to a system that has not had the good fortune to have multiple draft picks succeed or has picked poorly in the past. The success rate at a major league level is roughly equivalent to a second round choice. Possibly a supplemental first round.

Flaherty, McFarland, and Verrett are marginal talents. Garcia is different. If we can acquire Verrett for Matusz that would be fine. Otherwise, we have a ton or RH relievers coming up in the minors. No big loss. Again, Garcia has an arm that is not so common.

You don't think Verrett has a potential to being a backend starter? I hear ya though, good thoughts.

Sure, Garcia can throw fast but these types tend to burn out quickly...might be useful for a year or two though.

You don't think Verrett has a potential to being a backend starter? I hear ya though, good thoughts.

Sure, Garcia can throw fast but these types tend to burn out quickly...might be useful for a year or two though.

Verrett could be a backend starter. That is his upside. But so could Wright, Wilson, etc. There isn't really an arm like Garcia in our system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DD on 105.7 the fan broadcast of game vs. STL.

Talking up Matusz as a starter. Specifically ability to throw four pitches for strikes.

Mentioned prevelance of texting among gms these days. Snider trade apparently finalized via text. Hard to tell how much was fully serious.

DD on 105.7 the fan broadcast of game vs. STL.

Talking up Matusz as a starter. Specifically ability to throw four pitches for strikes.

Mentioned prevelance of texting among gms these days. Snider trade apparently finalized via text. Hard to tell how much was fully serious.

Heard that-Matusz sounds all but gone...

Also funny how they were taking about D specifically with Manny and Clevenger and both had a miscue almost immediately after.

Archived