Matusz, de Aza, McFarland, Lavarnway

wildcard

Remember, that is just a reported translating what they understand as well. As I stated, it is very complex. That writer may have simple gotten it wrong. OR I may have misunderstood the 40 man roster status. Which would irrelevant. We are just trying to get him off the 25 man roster anyway. Either way the player would need to be added back to the 40 man roster for the off season. You would be trading for the rights to not have him sitting in the bullpen until September. If you trade for him and option him, you could bring him up and send him down throughout.

Yes, and I can understand it working either way. If they want fans to be able to understand the rules, they should make them clearer.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, and I can understand it working either way. If they want fans to be able to understand the rules, they should make them clearer.

I agree. Remember. I was on the other side of this issue. I just fouls out how it works. Actually. Today. Under this CBA.

I agree. Remember. I was on the other side of this issue. I just fouls out how it works. Actually. Today. Under this CBA.

I was on the other side as well.

As much as the O's use the Rule 5 draft, it would be nice if a team authority on the subject explained this aspect of it to members of the press so it could become common knowledge.

As much as the O's use the Rule 5 draft, it would be nice if a team authority on the subject explained this aspect of it to members of the press so it could become common knowledge.

As much as the O's use the Rule 5 draft, it would be nice if a member of the press would research the topic and explain it to the fanbase so it could become common knowledge.

Honestly I don't think this is something the team should explain, I think it is the media's job to explain it.

As much as the O's use the Rule 5 draft, it would be nice if a member of the press would research the topic and explain it to the fanbase so it could become common knowledge.

Honestly I don't think this is something the team should explain, I think it is the media's job to explain it.

That would work, too, but they will end up having to ask someone.

Which would be fine, but the onus should be on the reporters. The O's media contingent are likeable and Britt can write but they are on the passive side.

No sense biting the hand that feeds them press releases and player access. Not enough competition among sports media outlets to warrant real reporting.

There also is nothing in the rules that states that a team can trade for the rights to a Rule 5 player they have selected without him first clearing waivers.

The rules simply are not clear.

Its not vague if you read all the Rules in context.

Rule 9 talks about assigning a player from one club to another. This the way they talk about trades. No waivers in this section.

Rule10 explains waivers - the different type and when the are in force. No requirement here for waivers when making a trade unless its after July 31st till the end of season.

Rule 5 talks about he Rule 5 draft.

Once a Rule 5 player is on the major league roster he is treated like any other player. Except if he is traded the restriction of staying on the major league roster goes with him to the acquiring team. Also if he is returned he has to pass through waivers before he gets to his original team where a decision is made whether that team wants him and pays $25,000 to get him back.

Its easy to see that what baseball is doing is to give the Rule 5 player every chance to stay in the majors. First by allowing him to be selected and placed on the major league roster. Second by giving every team in the league a chance to put them on their roster before returning him the original team were he goes back to the minors.

If you follow the Rules in context they are clear.

Its not vague if you read all the Rules in context.

Rule 9 talks about assigning a player from one club to another. This the way they talk about trades. No waivers in this section.

Rule10 explains waivers - the different type and when the are in force. No requirement here for waivers when making a trade unless it after July 31st till the end of season.

Rule 5 talks about he Rule 5 draft.

Once a Rule 5 player is on the 40 man roster he is treated like any other player. Except if he is traded the restriction of staying on the major league roster goes with him to the acquiring team. Also if he is returned he has to pass through waivers before he gets to his original team where a decision is made whether that team wants him and pays $25,000 to get him back.

Its easy to see that what baseball is doing is to give the Rule 5 player every chance to stay in the majors. First by allowing him to be selected and placed on the major league roster. Second by giving every team in the league a chance to put them on their roster before returning him the original team were he goes back to the minors.

If you follow the Rules in context they are clear.

If they were clear this discussion wouldn't be taking place. There is nothing in the Rule 5 rules about an acquiring team trading for the right to keep the player and option him.

If they were clear this discussion wouldn't be taking place. There is nothing in the Rule 5 rules about an acquiring team trading for the right to keep the player and option him.

It clearly states that a Rule 5 player must stay on the major league roster. Therefore he can't be sent to the minors in any way. Options are discussed in the the Waiver section but they don't apply the Rule 5 player because they must stay on the major league roster. Its not until the player is freed from his Rule 5 restriction that he can be sent to the minors through options or being outrighted which requires waivers.

It clearly states that a Rule 5 player must stay on the major league roster. Therefore he can't be sent to the minors in any way. Options are discussed in the the Waiver section but they don't apply the Rule 5 player because they must stay on the major league roster. Its not until the player is freed from his Rule 5 restriction that he can be sent to the minors through options or being outrighted which requires waivers.

It does not clearly state that the obligation to expose the Rule 5 player to waivers can be eliminated by trading a player to the original team. That is your contention, but it is not in the rules.

It was explained to me. I get credentialed ;)

FWIW, RA Dickey was selected in the rule V draft after the 2007 season by Seattle. In March 2008, Seattle traded for his rights. Seattle optioned him to the minors and he pitched 49 innings with Tacoma and 112 with Seattle during the 2008 season.

FWIW, RA Dickey was selected in the rule V draft after the 2007 season by Seattle. In March 2008, Seattle traded for his rights. Seattle optioned him to the minors and he pitched 49 innings with Tacoma and 112 with Seattle during the 2008 season.

Yup, the question we're dealing with is whether or not the acquiring team needs to expose the player to waivers before they can trade for those rights.

- Weams checked with someone who said that they do.

- Wildcard says they do not.

This is where we are.

Archived