Memorable Roch Kubatko quotes

Frobby

On drafting of D.L. Hall:

Director of scouting Gary Rajsich said DL Hall, the Orioles’ first-round pick last night of out Valdosta High School in Georgia, is projected to be in the rotation “in the near future.”

How does Thursday sound?

Seriously though, it’s bold to expect a high school pitcher to contribute anytime soon, but he’s apparently a special talent and these are desperate times.

I’d put D.L. Hughley on the mound if I thought he could go six innings.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/06/blowouts-building-against-500-orioles.html

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/8/2017 at 10:41 AM, bobmc said:

Tilly ties El Sid at 12th on W list w 73, Roch adds:

Remember Ponson?  Per Schmuck:

"Let's review the facts: Ponson was a highly talented young pitcher who came up through the Orioles' system and seemed ticketed for stardom. He also was a wild child who loved to party and wore his devil-may-care attitude proudly on his sleeve. The more successful he got, it seemed, the more fun he tried to have after hours and during the offseason, which led to a series of incidents that would eventually persuade the Orioles to terminate his contract.

The most famous instance of his misbehavior was a Christmas Day incident in Aruba that involved an alleged assault on a local judge and led to Ponson's being jailed for 11 days while awaiting disposition of the case. He also had a series of drunken driving incidents, the last of which precipitated the end of his Orioles career while he still had more than one year remaining on his guaranteed contract.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2008-12-17/sports/0812160187_1_orioles-pitcher-sidney-ponson-people-who-care

Ponson actually was a fairly serviceable pitcher in his first stint in Baltimore. Not awful numbers, given the era he was pitching in.

Upon returning... not so much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

From same article above!

* Former Orioles outfielder Delmon Young isn’t hanging up his bat. I have no idea what he’s doing with his glove, but he’s still playing.

What’s more surprising, that Young is continuing his career in Australia or that he’s only 32?

Reliever Mark Hamburger, most recently in the Twins organization, is returning to the Aces. Fans will flip over him.

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

From same article above!

* Former Orioles outfielder Delmon Young isn’t hanging up his bat. I have no idea what he’s doing with his glove, but he’s still playing.

What’s more surprising, that Young is continuing his career in Australia or that he’s only 32?

Reliever Mark Hamburger, most recently in the Twins organization, is returning to the Aces. Fans will flip over him.

I remember this name from the old Redskins days, old number #55, finally elected to the HOF in 2011.

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

From today's article:

Someone who’s much smarter than me, and that’s a deep pool of candidates, noted that this years World Series between the Astros and Dodgers features two 100-win teams for the first time since 1970.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/10/leftovers-for-breakfast-66.html

o

There's no way that Roch was referring to this, was he ???

o

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

Yes undersized but Chris was tough as nails!

I thought he was undersized, but dang, his player's card, says 6-2.  I know not always authenticate. :)

That was a solid defense of hitters, from little Pat Fisher, Ken Houston, Bass, Hamburger,  they knew how to play hard, yet clean.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I thought he was undersized, but dang, his player's card, says 6-2.  I know not always authenticate. :)

That was a solid defense of hitters, from little Pat Fisher, Ken Houston, Bass, Hamburger,  they knew how to play hard, yet clean.

I believe it was Han burger right?  But I agree!  I was proud to be a "Native" fan back then with JKC! 

• 1 month later...

Archived