Bowie rotation set and Dylan Bundy limited to 3 innings for several months

xian4

Strasburg is Wieters writ large. Supposed to be Walter Johnson with a side of Hoss Radbourne. Now that he's only one of the best couple dozen pitchers in the world everybody thinks he's a loser and and bitter disappointment.

Get real, man! Strasburg is toast. It's not like he led the league in strikeouts or something. Get back to us when he does that AND leads the league in starts! Then we can talk.

:)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would have been thrilled with that very the jump' date=' let alone after his injury. A legit number 3 starter under team control???? That has tons of value.[/quote']

Obviously Bundy becoming a number three would have been a solid outcome, but no one would have been "thrilled" by that outcome on draft day. Essentially, that's what Matt Wieters became, and you see how many people got upset about that. Wieters is far from a bust, and Bundy becoming a number three would be far from a bust, but I think you're being a bit disingenuous to say, considering his talent, you would have been thrilled with Bundy becoming a three from "the jump." Satisfied, sure. Content, sure. Happy, sure. But thrilled?

I think there is a big difference from what was expected on draft day and what was expected after he started out at Delmarva and got hyped up even more. On draft day, I think most would have been happy with a #3 starter. After Delmarva, everyone expected an ace and nothing less.

Yeah, that's fair.

Shouldn't they let results dictate his use and his future, rather than structuring his workload around what they hope the outcome is? I'd assume/hope if he pitches like his Delmarva stint they'd let the shackles off early.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Bundy on a ML contract? This is his 3rd and final option year, so if he's not on the major league club next season, he'll need to pass through waivers, right?

I think there is a big difference from what was expected on draft day and what was expected after he started out at Delmarva and got hyped up even more. On draft day, I think most would have been happy with a #3 starter. After Delmarva, everyone expected an ace and nothing less.

I don't think you are very happy with a no. 4 overall pick becoming a MOR starter. I won't be all that happy about it if that's all that Gausman becomes, for example (and he very well could end up there). It's acceptable, and not a disaster, but still kind of disappointing.

He sure was something to watch before he got hurt.

Yeah-that is a real strong assessment of Strasburg. I know he had a rough outing the other day, but I think he will still have a very successful career. Sounds like some Nats hate boiling over there:)

Yeah-that is a real strong assessment of Strasburg. I know he had a rough outing the other day, but I think he will still have a very successful career. Sounds like some Nats hate boiling over there:)

He's fine now, I'd love to have him at a reasonable cost.

But before he got hurt, you cleared your schedule to watch his starts, at least I did.

Strasburg is Wieters writ large. Supposed to be Walter Johnson with a side of Hoss Radbourne. Now that he's only one of the best couple dozen pitchers in the world everybody thinks he's a loser and and bitter disappointment.

Wieters with the glove and behind the plate lived up to the hype.

Just never got the offensive production with his bat and the hype had us to believe.

I don't think you are very happy with a no. 4 overall pick becoming a MOR starter. I won't be all that happy about it if that's all that Gausman becomes, for example (and he very well could end up there). It's acceptable, and not a disaster, but still kind of disappointing.

That may be, but the average #4 overall pick doesn't become a star. The average 1-5 pick produces less than 10 WAR in their six years of team control, meaning between 1-2 wins a year, or just about an average player in full-time play. If Gausman ends up as Bud Norris that will be simultaneously disappointing and almost exactly average for someone drafted in his spot.

That may be, but the average #4 overall pick doesn't become a star. The average 1-5 pick produces less than 10 WAR in their six years of team control, meaning between 1-2 wins a year, or just about an average player in full-time play. If Gausman ends up as Bud Norris that will be simultaneously disappointing and almost exactly average for someone drafted in his spot.

Well said.

Well said.

The draft is an anti-Lake Wobegon, where almost everyone is below average. All first round picks are expected to be at least minor stars, while most of them have brief careers of varying quality. 2nd or 3rd rounders are all going to be regulars, but they mostly end up as minor league lifers. 7th rounders are expected to be the exceptions that pan out, then they fizzle in the Carolina League. But despite all of this teams like the Orioles simply can't compete without a bunch of these disappointing underachievers.

Obviously Bundy becoming a number three would have been a solid outcome, but no one would have been "thrilled" by that outcome on draft day. Essentially, that's what Matt Wieters became, and you see how many people got upset about that. Wieters is far from a bust, and Bundy becoming a number three would be far from a bust, but I think you're being a bit disingenuous to say, considering his talent, you would have been thrilled with Bundy becoming a three from "the jump." Satisfied, sure. Content, sure. Happy, sure. But thrilled?

I would have been "thrilled" on draft day. I guess it depends on how you define a number 3 starter. To me, Tillman is a number 3 starter. If, on draft day, Bundy turned out to be Tillman, I would have been thrilled. I would have hoped for more, but been thrilled with another Tillman under team control for 6 years.

#Orioles Dylan Bundy 93-95; extreme plane. CH 85-86; armside fade, consistent arm speed. Potential +. CB 79; 11/5 shape. Looks comfortable.

CJ Wittmann

‏@CJWittJr

#orioles Bundy 91-95; CB 79-81; 11/5 shape w/ bite. CT 83; slider-like. Easy velocity. Commanding the zone well.

CJ Wittmann @CJWittJr ? 4h 4 hours ago

Bundy looked much more comfortable than last year. Think there is still more in the tank once he is fully stretched out. #Orioles

CJ Wittmann

‏@CJWittJr

#Orioles Bundy 93-94; big plane. Potential plus CH/CB. CT 80-83; slider-like, late break. Threw strikes to all 4 quadrants. Found barrels.

Some quotes I found on twitter from the Bowie game tonight. 4k's and still healthy. I'll take it. So he's throwing the cutter? Or is this technically a slider? Wink Wink?

Archived