Everth Cabrera looking like an excellect pickup

Frobby

I think David Lough has three weeks to show that he deserves to stay on the team over Paredes. We'll probably see him in the lineup a little more often in the next three weeks than you would typically expect for a backup outfielder, for evaluation purposes.

This feels about right to me. I am/was a big fan of Lough, but if he doesn't start showing something with the bat, he might be gone. He doesn't have the monopoly on speed anymore with de Aza and Cabrera able to take a base in a pinch.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He wont be the 4th OF on a Buck team as a defensive liability, that means, he would have to take Young's spot, and me mostly DH.

I think we will see Reimold, Parmalee, and SJohnson added to the 40 man in October/November and kept over the winter if they haven't already been added by then.

I'm very happy with what Everth Cabrera has provided so far. His defense has been very solid and he looks okay at the plate, though I'd still much rather have Hardy out there. This looks to me like a very worthwhile pickup.

Everth Cabrera is a stellar pick-up by the Os - kudos to scouting and DD to get him on the team. Like most others, I'm really happy he's our new #1! As a matter of fact he mentioned how happy he was in a press conference to be a part of a winning team, and that he hasn't experienced that before. For a second it made me think and fully realize that we are considered a winning team now a days. His attitude is in the right place and he's a plus defender and also doing a great job at the plate. Glad he's part of the team and imo, should be our go to utility guy when Hardy gets off the DL.:thumbsup1:

I'm going to say this about Cabrera so far -- I appreciate how he's been able to hold the fort, and do a few of the "little things" to help a team that is .500 right now. But his line is .276/.313/.276. In ten games he has yet to hit beyond a single. So it will be nice to have Hardy back, presuming he's ready to hit.

In Rosenthal's column today he discusses how Cabrera told the Os that he knew the advanced metrics suggested his defense was subpar and he wanted to be proactive about improving his defense.

He isn't stupid, if he wants to play for Buck, he knows he has to play good defense.

A) Cabrera does not do everything Flaherty does. He doesn't play a credible 3B nor 1B. Flaherty does both.

How do we know Cabrera can't play a credible 3B? He certainly seems to have the arm for it. He hasn't played the position as much as Flaherty has, but I'm not going to say he can't play it credibly. It's not like Flaherty has been spectacular over there (6 errors in 369 innings, the equivalent of about 41 games). I'll admit I'd rather have the 6'3" Flaherty at 1B rather than the (supposedly) 5'10" Cabrera.

Cabrera still hasn't hit beyond a single in 45 plate appearances. Flaherty meanwhile has four XBH in 27 PA.

I don't think there's any doubt that Flaherty has more pop in his bat. He has a career ISO of .154 to Cabrera's .083. It's a matter of whether Cabrera can make up for that by getting on base more often than Flash and using his speed, and who plays better defense.

Archived