Sun: Cubs Offer Ceden, Gallagher, Veal and maybe a 4th player - For Roberts

NATTYBO's

He would have been tied for 3rd place amongst 2B. I say "would" because he's actually listed as an OF. :)

He played twice as many games at 2b than in the OF. Im really only concerned to see how he compares to others at his position. I think he will be above average at the very least in most offensive categories at 2B when hes settled in.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many times are we going to see Cubs fan trolls come on here and try to say stuff about our team and players??? You either go away, try to show an ounce of intelligence or understand that we are going to jump on your franchise's pathetic 100 year mark.

I asked a very simple question about how much BRob would increase the Cubs chances of winning the WS. It was a very harmless post with no disrespect to the O's, Roberts or the fans.

I asked a very simple question about how much BRob would increase the Cubs chances of winning the WS. It was a very harmless post with no disrespect to the O's, Roberts or the fans.

Simple answer...He gives you one of the best leadoff men in the game. That allows you to move Derosa to the bench, thus making it stronger. Also lets you move Soriano out of the leadoff spot, which the Cubs want to do so that he gets more RBI opportunities.

And for all this, the cubs are giving up players they expect to have no (major) impact for them this year.

Simple answer...He gives you one of the best leadoff men in the game. That allows you to move Derosa to the bench, thus making it stronger. Also lets you move Soriano out of the leadoff spot, which the Cubs want to do so that he gets more RBI opportunities.

And for all this, the cubs are giving up players they expect to have no (major) impact for them this year.

The changes it makes or does not make to the Cubs has all be discussed ad nauseam on the board.

I am asking what the oddsmakers would think having him increases the Cubs chances of winning the WS because with him or without him the Cubs will not be the favorite.

Sports guy was just in Vegas playing the odds.

What happens to the Cubs odds in 2010, 2011, 2012 and so on if they give up the farm to get him?

Why do you believe the Cubs will "give up the farm" to get BRob such that it hurts them in 2010 and after? The Cubs are offering some backups, only one of their top five prospects and possibly a second top 10 prospect?

Further, there's a strong likelihood that the Cubs would receive compensatory draft picks for BRob IF he left after 2009. At the current, rumored offers, it's debateable regarding whether or not the draft picks would be more valuable than the players received. Or perhaps the Cubs sign BRob to an extension and keep his services for longer.

It's difficult to envision a scenario in 2012 where Cubs fans would look back on this trade and think they gave up too much for BRob at the current rumors, IMO.

You may have asked it...But the post you originally quoted me on was directed to an ignorant Cubs fan.

The changes it makes or does not make to the Cubs has all be discussed ad nauseam on the board.

I am asking what the oddsmakers would think having him increases the Cubs chances of winning the WS because with him or without him the Cubs will not be the favorite.

Sports guy was just in Vegas playing the odds.

They're at 8-1 now...Best in the bigs is red sox at 4-1.Tigers/yankees at 6-1 and mets at 5-1.

With the addition of Brian Roberts...I would put them at 7-1. Id say he's atleast worth a point. Maybe tied with the Tigers at 6-1...Tough to say.

Why do you believe the Cubs will "give up the farm" to get BRob such that it hurts them in 2010 and after? The Cubs are offering some backups, only one of their top five prospects and possibly a second top 10 prospect?

Further, there's a strong likelihood that the Cubs would receive compensatory draft picks for BRob IF he left after 2009. At the current, rumored offers, it's debateable regarding whether or not the draft picks would be more valuable than the players received. Or perhaps the Cubs sign BRob to an extension and keep his services for longer.

It's difficult to envision a scenario in 2012 where Cubs fans would look back on this trade and think they gave up too much for BRob at the current rumors, IMO.

Don't overreact to the words give up the farm, but you have to admint the range of what posters think is reasonable value goes from very little to Pie, Gallagher, Ceda, Colvin and Cedeno. In fact there are some that have been even more rich than that.

Who knows how the prospects will pan out. Greg Maddox was not a Randy Johnson type prospect and he has had a pretty fair career.

Ryne Sandberg was an add-in the the DeJesus and Bowa trade and he turned out pretty well.

Larry Bowa even got cut from his high school baseball team and he turned out pretty well.

I do not agree that the draft pick are even close to worth what one of the lower offers is that was posted on the board. I thought by the end of the thread there was some pretty persuasive evidence to that effect.

As far as looking back on the trade and regretting it. It could be very easy to be in that scenario. If we give up a piece/pieces of the future and the present does not work out well there will be regret for sure.

You have to take a measured risk/opportunity.

They're at 8-1 now...Best in the bigs is red sox at 4-1.Tigers/yankees at 6-1 and mets at 5-1.

With the addition of Brian Roberts...I would put them at 7-1. Id say he's atleast worth a point. Maybe tied with the Tigers at 6-1...Tough to say.

I am surprised it is that high. Late ast fall after the 07 series and heading into the offseason, the Cubs were 15-1 for 2008. I would think that we have made a couple of good changes that would help, but not enough to essentially double our chances.

I would guess that DBacks, Rockies, Angels, Yanks, Mets, Red Sox, Tigers are ahead.

I would guess we are close to the Indians, Brewers, Dodgers, Mariners, and Phils.

So we are in the mix. How much do you give up of the future to move up, and how much do you move up in those lists by adding BRob?

I am surprised it is that high. Late ast fall after the 07 series and heading into the offseason, the Cubs were 15-1 for 2008. I would think that we have made a couple of good changes that would help, but not enough to essentially double our chances.

Actually I was really surprised it was that high. Don't follow the cubs that much, but aren't there some bullpen questions going on? Especially with Dempster supposedly starting now?

Actually I was really surprised it was that high. Don't follow the cubs that much, but aren't there some bullpen questions going on? Especially with Dempster supposedly starting now?

Bullpen is a strength. Best addition to the pen would be a better Loogy.

Marmol, Wood and Howry are all very good late inning guys.

I expect the likelihood of acquiring BRob is already factored into the odds somewhat.

Isn't it really more about them trying to equalize their risk, so they're predicting bettor behavior as much as baseball? Not sure, I don't know squat about sports betting. But if I was them, I wouldn't care who won, I'd just care how much money I had to pay out. Maybe they expect a lot of Cubbies bets, what with the 100th Anniversary of their last championship and all...

Isn't it really more about them trying to equalize their risk, so they're predicting bettor behavior as much as baseball? Not sure, I don't know squat about sports betting. But if I was them, I wouldn't care who won, I'd just care how much money I had to pay out. Maybe they expect a lot of Cubbies bets, what with the 100th Anniversary of their last championship and all...

Yeah pretty sure you are right, but I don't know. Heck I even have a hard time laying down a buck for a NCAA pool.

I could see the odds being inflated by some overly optimistic fans though.

I didn't see this posted anywhere - Would you make the deal - If Patterson is the 4th player I would

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-roberts307,0,32282.story

ackBack (0) | Category :: If The Ivy Could Talk - Cubs Rumors

It is the never-ending rumor. For the last three plus months the Cubs have apparently had conversations about acquiring Brian Roberts from the Orioles....this much we think we know. Over the past several weeks as soon as one of the well-respected baseball journalists report talks are heating up again, one side will end up denying the report within 24 hours.

Jayson Stark became the latest to chime in on the Brian Roberts to the Cubs rumors on Monday. In his blog, Stark stated one official that has been in contact with both parties has predicted the long-rumored trade would be completed "in the third week of March." It has not been 24 hours yet, but while we all await the denial, here is the latest from the mill, including more on Roberts and Crisp....

Randy Bush talked to Bruce Levine on Saturday morning about the state of the Cubs. Bush said he would be surprised if any additions are made to the club before Opening Day and they are likely to go North with the current roster. Bush added he likes the team the way it is currently constructed.

With that out of the way....

Jayson Stark mentioned the names of Ronny Cedeno, Sean Gallagher and at least one more prospect for a likely package of Roberts and Jay Payton. Very similar to the package the Baltimore Sun suggested last week, minus a player from the Cubs....with Jay Payton added into the mix.

Buster Olney thinks the reason the Cubs might be interested in Coco Crisp is because a deal for Roberts would include Felix Pie. The Cubs in turn would have a centerfielder under contract for the next two years. A package from the Cubs that includes Pie and Sean Gallagher, with a "few other parts" as Olney put it, could get the trade done.

Also, Stark was on the Baseball Beat with Charley Steiner on Monday morning. Stark did not mention any specifics but did say Matt Murton's name in the same sentence as the New York Mets....

Roberts Update: In 7 games this spring, .316/.435/.421 with 2 doubles, 4 walks, 2 strikeouts, 9 runs scored and 7 stolen bases (6-for-19). On Monday he walked and stole both 2nd and 3rd....manufactured a run.

These are not minor deals here, these are the ones that can have a huge impact on a team....both on the field and in the clubhouse. If Jim Hendry is still trying to make a deal or deals, he needs to make them fast so the adjustment period does not happen when a winning percentage matters.

Stay tuned....

Archived