Sun: Cubs Offer Ceden, Gallagher, Veal and maybe a 4th player - For Roberts

NATTYBO's

Simple answer...He gives you one of the best leadoff men in the game. That allows you to move Derosa to the bench, thus making it stronger. Also lets you move Soriano out of the leadoff spot, which the Cubs want to do so that he gets more RBI opportunities.

And for all this, the cubs are giving up players they expect to have no (major) impact for them this year.

But the Cubs are giving up players that could very well have a major impact on the O's in the future.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the Cubs are giving up players that could very well have a major impact on the O's in the future.

You got it! That's what trading prospects is all about...Not an exact science, if it was , Giants certainly wouldn't have given up Boof Bonser and Francisco Liriano for AJ Pierzynski.

Buster Olney thinks the reason the Cubs might be interested in Coco Crisp is because a deal for Roberts would include Felix Pie. The Cubs in turn would have a centerfielder under contract for the next two years. A package from the Cubs that includes Pie and Sean Gallagher, with a "few other parts" as Olney put it, could get the trade done.

So Olney thinks its going to take the Cubs starting CF, a top pitching prospects and a "few other parts" to get Brian Roberts while Stark mentions Cedeno, Gallagher and one other player for Roberts and Jay Payton. That is quite a descrepancy. I'd be shocked to see Pie included in this trade. He is looking real good this spring and should be fine after his medical procedure.

Buster Olney thinks the reason the Cubs might be interested in Coco Crisp is because a deal for Roberts would include Felix Pie. The Cubs in turn would have a centerfielder under contract for the next two years. A package from the Cubs that includes Pie and Sean Gallagher, with a "few other parts" as Olney put it, could get the trade done.

So Olney thinks its going to take the Cubs starting CF, a top pitching prospects and a "few other parts" to get Brian Roberts while Stark mentions Cedeno, Gallagher and one other player for Roberts and Jay Payton. That is quite a descrepancy. I'd be shocked to see Pie included in this trade. He is looking real good this spring and should be fine after his medical procedure.

Now that would have my interest... not sure what the O's would do with a plethora of OF's...

If Pie's included (operative word being "if," I don't want the Cubs fans attacking me), how does that change our roster? Would Jones move to LF or back to SS? Would Pie move to LF? Also, what would happen with Scott?

Decisions, decisions.

If Pie's included (operative word being "if," I don't want the Cubs fans attacking me), how does that change our roster? Would Jones move to LF or back to SS? Would Pie move to LF? Also, what would happen with Scott?

Decisions, decisions.

Jones -> LF

Scott -> DH

You rotate Markakis, Jones, and Pie into the DH spot for 5-10 games over the season to keep them fresh, with Scott filling in at LF/RF and Jones filling in at CF.

The big question is, what happens to Huff and/or Millar?

Decisions, decisions.

The idea of moving Jones to SS has been killed by everyone, especially Jones, himself. My guess is that Jones would move to LF and we'd have one of the most exciting young outfields in baseball. Hopefully, we'd find a way to dump Huff, preferably, or Millar and move Luke Scott to DH.

For me, the bigger question is can Nolan Reimold play 1B?

Jones -> LF

Scott -> DH

You rotate Markakis, Jones, and Pie into the DH spot for 5-10 games over the season to keep them fresh, with Scott filling in at LF/RF and Jones filling in at CF.

The big question is, what happens to Huff and/or Millar?

Huff/Millar are playing first. Then with the case of Huff, I would think he would be the one spelling LF/DH. That of course, until someone gets injured/traded.

The idea of moving Jones to SS has been killed by everyone, especially Jones, himself. My guess is that Jones would move to LF and we'd have one of the most exciting young outfields in baseball. Hopefully, we'd find a way to dump Huff, preferably, or Millar and move Luke Scott to DH.

For me, the bigger question is can Nolan Reimold play 1B?

The problem that I have with all that is that the O's would not be using their players to their full value. Jones is valuable partly because he's a CFer. LF is not as important a position. If Scott plays DH, you waste his quality defence.

Huff/Millar are playing first. Then with the case of Huff, I would think he would be the one spelling LF/DH. That of course, until someone gets injured/traded.

There's no way they'll make Scott a part-time player - he's the showpiece from the Tejada trade.

Huff or Millar gets traded in the unlikely scenario that Pie comes to the O's. Probably Huff.

I suppose they could also try to flip Scott for a middle infielder, but I don't see that getting done before opening day.

The problem that I have with all that is that the O's would not be using their players to their full value. Jones is valuable partly because he's a CFer. LF is not as important a position. If Scott plays DH, you waste his quality defence.

Carl Crawford says hi.

There's no way they'll make Scott a part-time player - he's the showpiece from the Tejada trade.

Huff or Millar gets traded in the unlikely scenario that Pie comes to the O's. Probably Huff.

I suppose they could also try to flip Scott for a middle infielder, but I don't see that getting done before opening day.

Since we are playing with unlikely-to-happen scenarios: If the Cubs include Pie in the trade, what are the chances that the Os send Luke Scott to the Cubs as part of the deal and get Murton back?

Regardless, though, I still don't believe that Roberts will play for the Cubs this year.

Archived