vs. BLUE JAYS, 5/12

OFFNY

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">That moment when the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> grab the lead. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IBackTheBirds?src=hash">#IBackTheBirds</a> <a href="http://t.co/G3PPEJyeX0">pic.twitter.com/G3PPEJyeX0</a></p>— Orioles on MASN (@masnOrioles) <a href="

">May 12, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Most nights it's probably a strike but the ump had been pretty consistent about not calling anything off the plate.

True. But that at bat and a missed strike 3 call to Bautista within ten minutes of each other got me thinking about how lovely automated balls and strikes would be.

Hey' date=' MLB... please watch this. PLEASE.

True. But that at bat and a missed strike 3 call to Bautista within ten minutes of each other got me thinking about how lovely automated balls and strikes would be.

Hey, MLB... please watch this. PLEASE.

That would be nice. But I'd imagine the umpires would fight against that.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I doubt Elias would be much moved to act a week before the deadline when asks by Sellers still skew high but I guess it is worth noting the Orioles play their Marlins series July 23-25. Who Tanner Scott and AJ Puk and Burch Smith and Vinny Nittoli play for in any given 3-game series probably doesn't make a game of difference, and the division probably won't come down to 1 game.  
    • Remember Bradish pitched for 3 months with a torn UCL.  And pitched well.  Until he couldn't.  Just because a tear happens doesn't mean it will curtail you right away.   I saw FB's face and body language during that game.  Something was off.    I can speak of this from personal experience.  I have a torn UCL and a bone chip the size of a quarter in my right elbow, and have had it for years.  Back from when I first got it looked at 20 years ago.   I just lived with the pain.  Sometimes up to 8 tylenol a day.   It always hurts and it wasn't until I was bowling one specific shot a few years ago and it completely blew out that I had to go to a orthopedist for it.   I just rested it for 3 months and have done nothing overhand as far as sports and working out since.  Anytime I throw overhand?  It kills. No way I could throw a baseball 80 times a game.  My arm would probably fall off.    The elbow really controls your overhand throws.  Underhand and side arm is not nearly as bad. 
    • How many teams won the trade deadline with a big time acquisitions and then won the championship.   2023 Rangers traded for rental Montgomery a solid mid rotation guy and rental Chapman nice bullpen piece. 2022 Astros traded for Trey Mancini 2021 Braves traded for Solor, Rosario, and Duvall.   2020 Covid year with weird deadline 2019 Nats traded for Daniel Hudson and Roenilis Ellis  2018 Red Sox traded for Andrew Cashner  2017 Astros traded for Justin Verlander which was a great pickup and changed there team when he bounced back but the trade itself was for very little in terms of prospects and more salary dump for rebuilding Tigers.    2016 Cubs trade for Chapman and Mike Montgomery.   2015 Royals traded for Johnny Cueto a veteran rental starter coming off all star season but pitched to a 4.86 ERA for Royals .  Also traded for Ben Zobrist.   2014 Giants traded for Jake Peavy as a rental.  
    • I’m saying 1st place at 97-65. 
    • They could use the Trajekt pitching machine in the game for pitches 21 onwards!     The human pitcher stands next to his robotic counterpart for fielding. October miracle watch - in 2023 Liam Hendriks had his TJ 2 months and 7 days before Felix, and is throwing bullpens now.    He could be a factor for the Red Sox if they make the tournament. The 2024 World Series begins about 12.5 months after Felix's procedure.    12.5 months from Hendriks' procedure is about August 17th.
    • Fangraphs also does farm system rankings, which are now up to date pre-draft, based on the FV grades and a dollar value assigned to the FV tiers. It’s also a handy table to compare what systems are strong in the middle of the pack vs top heavy.  https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/farm-system-rankings The Orioles are still #1, but that is carried in large part by the huge value assigned to Holliday as a 70 FV hitter. However, if they graduated Holliday, they’d still be about tied with Boston as #4.  I haven’t done the math, but just looking at that table - if you took out every team’s top 4 prospects, the Orioles would fall behind some systems but still be near the top. They don’t have a large number of 50/45+/45 FV guys, which I think prompts this sentiment that the system is weaker, but it’s still strong in 40+/40/35+. And if you look at the actual values assigned for the FV tiers, IMO the 50/45+/45 tiers (ie, back end and borderline top 100 prospects) tend to be overvalued in public perception relative to what the numbers bear out. The really elite 70/65/60/55 prospects have a ton of value, and then beyond that having a bulk of prospects matters more. It’s true that the Orioles’ best prospects are already at the MLB or AAA level, with only Basallo in AA, so they’re going to have a lot of graduations in the near future. But the best prospects tend to be those that have already dominated the low minors, so I don’t think the Orioles are super unusual this way. Basically, the farm is not as dominant as it once was, but they have a long way to go before they’re even just middle of the pack. 
  • Popular Contributors