Notes From the Minors 6/7

weams

Written by Chris Slade

Trey Mancini off to a good start in AA. He went 2-for-4 with a home run in the Baysox 5-0 win. He's the Hangout MiLB Player of the Night.

Tides [AAA] Won 4 to 1

Mike Wright pitched a quality start (6 IP, 4 H, ER, BB, 6 K).

Henry Urrutia went 2-for-4 with a double.

Dariel Alvarez doubled and drove in a run.

Baysox [AA] Won 5 to 0

Terry Doyle pitched a complete game shutout with five strikeouts.

Mike Yastrzemski homered and drove in two.

Glynn Davis doubled twice.

Keys [A+] Lost 7 to 4

Mitch Horacek made the start (5 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 6 K).

Tucker Nathans went 3-for-5 with two doubles.

Shorebirds [A] Won 7 to 2

Josh Walker made the start (5 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K).

Elier Leyva went 2-for-5 with a double and 2 RBI.

Cameron Kneeland went 3-for-5 and drove in three.

Doug Newton

6/7/2015

Delmarva Pours It On Late in Finale, 9-1

First series win for Shorebirds since May 20th

KANNAPOLIS, N.C. -- The Delmarva Shorebirds earned a series win in convincing fashion with a 9-1 victory over the Kannapolis Intimidators on Sunday evening. Delmarva (26-29) took home their first series win since May 20th, breaking a run of four straight series defeats.

The game started quietly as a pitchers’ duel between the Shorebirds’ Josh Walker and Intimidators’ righty Zach Thompson. Walker pitched five shutout innings in the second start of his professional career, retiring the final 11 batters he faced.

Delmarva broke out with a four-run fourth inning sparked by a leadoff double by Conor Bierfeldt. The double was Bierfeldt’s 16th of the season, most on Delmarva and tied for second-most in the league. Ronarsy Ledesma lined an RBI single, and Elier Leyva belted an RBI double to start the scoring. An error by Ethan Gross kept the rally alive, allowing two more runs to score, both unearned.

Kannapolis’ only run came in the seventh inning on a sacrifice fly by Nick Basto. Later, Elier Leyva gunned down Alexander Simon at home plate with a laser throw to end the frame, preserving a 4-1 lead.

The Shorebirds broken open the floodgates with five runs in the ninth. Cam Kneeland hammered a bases-clearing triple, and T.J. Olesczuk bounced an RBI single. Olesczuk collected nine RBIs in the series, his first four games with Delmarva. Leyva capped the rally with an RBI single for a 9-1 lead as the Shorebirds batted around against David Trexler.

Jay Gonzalez reached base four times in the finale, including an RBI triple in the fourth inning. For the series, Gonzalez successfully reached base 15 times, going 7-for-12 with eight walks drawn. Bierfeldt ripped five doubles in the series, as the Shorebirds scored 29 runs over the weekend.

Walker picked up his first win as a Shorebird, and Garrett Cortright took credit for his second save with two perfect innings in relief. Thompson took a loss in his full-season debut for the Kannapolis Intimdiators.

Geoff Arnold

6/7/2015

SIX KEYS ERRORS HELP BLUE ROCKS COMPLETE FOUR-GAME SWEEP

FREDERICK DROPS TWO GAMES BELOW SEA-LEVEL FOR FIRST TIME

Wilmington, Del. –The Frederick Keys made a season-high six errors, while the Wilmington Blue Rocks scored in five of eight innings to earn a 7-4 win on Sunday afternoon at Frawley Stadium. With the win, the Blue Crew complete the four-game sweep and drop the Keys six games out of first place in the CL North standings. It is Frederick’s largest deficit of the season.

Trailing 3-1 in the sixth, Frederick tied the game thanks to three straight singles. After back-to-back hits by Drew Dosch and Tucker Nathans, Kevin McCarthy came on for Blue Rocks starter Alec Mills and surrendered an RBI base knock to Brenden Webb. Anthony Caronia followed with a sac-fly to center, but the Blue Rocks would go back on top in the home-half of the inning.

Jack Lopez singled to open things up, moved to second on a sac-bunt and then got to third on a steal, before a wild pitch from Jon Keller brought him home. Later in the inning, Dominique Taylor would reach on a single and an error by Dosch, before a passed ball and a double by Carlos Garcia brought in an unearned marker. Keller (3-4) suffered the loss, allowing three runs (two earned) in two innings. He walked two and struck out two.

Armed with a chance to re-tie the game in the seventh, the Keys would come up on the short-side of a controversial call at the plate. Back-to-back one out walks to Adrian Marin and Dosch put men aboard for Tucker Nathans who doubled in Marin to bring up Webb. Down in the count 1-2, the Keys five-hole batter hit a popup to shallow left which Jack Lopez caught before going to the ground. Dosch tagged from third and appeared to be well under the tag, but was punched out by Chase Eade. Dosch would be ejected along with Keys manager Orlando Gomez.

Wilmington would score the final two runs, utilizing a bases loaded walk to Logan Moon in the seventh, as well as a dropped catch by Logan Uxa, an errant pickoff throw by Cody Wheeler and a sac-fly by Robert Pehl to make it 7-4.

The Keys had a chance for a big third inning, but could not capitalize. With the bases loaded, Marin grounded into a double play scoring one run, before Mills got a flyout to end the inning.

Frederick starter, Mitch Horacek, received a no-decision, giving up three runs on five hits in five innings. He struck out six and did not walk a batter, while he also allowed a two-run homer to Santiago Nessy.

McCarthy (1-0) picked up the win for the Blue Rocks, surrendering one run on three hits in two innings, while Estarlin Cordero worked two clean innings to earn his fourth save

Sisco didn't start the game. The manager, hitting coach, and Dosch all got ejected between the top of the 7th and bottom. Sisco replaced Dosch in the lineup and the juggled the positions around. There was play at the plate to end the top of the 7th where Dosch got called out at home. Guess they could have used some replay!

Ah, thanks. Read the box score wrong. Hope to see Sisco pick up where he left off last season.

Archived