Wieters and Machado this Offseason

backwardsk

This offseason is going to be very exciting because of the many decisions that need to be made on our FA and our arb eligible guys. There are so many different paths the organization can go. For a hypothetical, let's assume that the 2016 budget is +/- 4% of the 2015 budget.

Extending Manny: Kyle Seager got a 7yr/$100M extension in Seattle. Could an offer like this persuade Manny and his knees to extend? Locking him up would be one of my top priorities. BTW, Seager makes $4.5M this season.

Bringing back Wieters: When the team had as much success as they did last year without him, I thought there was no way he'd be back. Today, I'm not so sure. How much has his injury affected his market? Who will go after him? NYY, Boston, and Tor all have catchers in long term contracts. Would 5/75-85 (Molina, Martin, and McCann money) get it done? Would that be a mistake to pay a guy like him to be a rotational catcher, DH, and possible 1st Baseman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really think Wieters is a no brainer. Give him a QO and take the pick. Over his career, Wieters just has not hit enough to be a 1B or DH. Even without the elbow injury I would say no to a long term extension.

I would love to see Manny extended. With his knees he would have even more incentive than the typical player at that age. A 6 or 7 year deal would still allow him to hit the market and cash in a second time.

I don't know how many arb years Seager had left. Since Manny is only making $500k and we would be buying out a bunch of arb years, $100M sounds high to me but other people are better than me at these numbers.

BOS, MFY, LAD, ATL DET, LAA, I could go on. 6/100 M

The Yankees may get him. They may end up spending $75M on 4 guys who can only cover 3 positions. I guess Matt could be happy as a part time player.

The Yankees may get him. They may end up spending $75M on 4 guys who can only cover 3 positions. I guess Matt could be happy as a part time player.

I doubt the MFY get him, but if they did he would be the number 1 C. McCann isn't as good and can play 1B. I think he goes to ATL or the LAD.

I doubt the MFY get him, but if they did he would be the number 1 C. McCann isn't as good and can play 1B. I think he goes to ATL or the LAD.

I think ATL is a destination considering he played his college ball there, but it's hard to tell if they'll support that contract. I'm not sure what LADs thoughts are on Grandal, but he seems to be doing well. They'll spend big on rotation help, I'm sure. I think, in general, it's going to be tougher for an NL team to commit to a catcher who hasn't caught 100 games combined in the previous two seasons.

I think ATL is a destination considering he played his college ball there, but it's hard to tell if they'll support that contract. I'm not sure what LADs thoughts are on Grandal, but he seems to be doing well. They'll spend big on rotation help, I'm sure. I think, in general, it's going to be tougher for an NL team to commit to a catcher who hasn't caught 100 games combined in the previous two seasons.

A lot of teams need catchers Wieters is by far the best on the market, he'll get paid. Boras will see to that.

Paying Wieters big money and sticking McCann at first is something I would LOVE to see the Yankees do. McCann's .750 OPS and most likely terrible defense over there at first would be fun to watch. Not to mention that Matt is not likely to hold up over the 5 years he's likely to sign for. And I love the guy.

Buck might go to the mat with Duquette about bringing Wieters back. He's going to make a lot of money, that's for sure, and there may be quite a few teams willing to pay the money and give up a draft choice to sign him. Keeping him would be expensive, but I think Buck will make a strong case for retaining his field general.

Archived