Happy Bobby Bonilla Payday!

beervendor

This has to be the most interesting contract in sports history.

Every July 1 the Mets issue a check for nearly $1.2M to former Met and Oriole Bobby Bonilla. This abomination will continue thru 2036. Additionally, Bonilla collects a separate payment of $500,000 annually thru 2028, shared roughly equally between the Mets and O's.

For a guy who never looked like he was working very hard, he sure knows how to retire in style.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/105897/its-bobby-bonillas-payday

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are worth what you negotiate. I'm surprised more agents and players don't negotiate deals like this. I guess the retirement negotiated by the MLB Players Union is pretty strong so there is little incentive.

That's a lot of coin to be collecting until 2036! Geez!

This has to be the most interesting contract in sports history.

Every July 1 the Mets issue a check for nearly $1.2M to former Met and Oriole Bobby Bonilla. This abomination will continue thru 2036. Additionally, Bonilla collects a separate payment of $500,000 annually thru 2028, shared roughly equally between the Mets and O's.

For a guy who never looked like he was working very hard, he sure knows how to retire in style.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/105897/its-bobby-bonillas-payday

1) Why in the world would anyone call this "an abomination"? It's a creatively structured contract that sets him up well and makes sure he's not one of the many athletes who spent all of their fortune at age 27.

2) What's with the "never looked like he was working very hard" bit? He had a 15-year career on some very good teams with a solid value over 30 wins. As far as I know he never complained about being shuffled around from the outfield to third to first to DH.

I don't understand why there's anything to complain about here.

1) Why in the world would anyone call this "an abomination"? It's a creatively structured contract that sets him up well and makes sure he's not one of the many athletes who spent all of their fortune at age 27.

2) What's with the "never looked like he was working very hard" bit? He had a 15-year career on some very good teams with a solid value over 30 wins. As far as I know he never complained about being shuffled around from the outfield to third to first to DH.

I don't understand why there's anything to complain about here.

Not complaining at all. "Abomination" was tongue-in-cheek - I don't fault any player (or owner) for negotiating the best deal they can. I love the outside-the-boxness of it all. Bet we could find some Mets fans who would disagree.

His defensive shortcomings and lack of speed (objective) and hustle (subjective), when combined with his undeniable offensive gifts made it all look pretty easy for him. Some players just never look like they're working that hard. That's all I was saying.

While he was seen as a malcontent in NY, he was never a problem during his stint with the O's. I met him once and we chatted briefly. He couldn't have been a nicer guy, nor had bigger hands.

I am not sure which report to believe concerning the O's portion of the Bonnila deferred salary.

Here is a report from the New York Times:

He also remains on the Baltimore Orioles? payroll. That team?s $500,000-per-annum deferred payments began two months ago (2011) and extend until 2015. But he has to split that loot with the ex-wife.

http://nypost.com/2011/05/15/mets-has-been-bonilla-gets-30m-last-laugh/

Archived