Happy Bobby Bonilla Payday!

beervendor

Why do teams tolerate deals like this? I can't fathom how any player could be worth paying that much for that long out of pocket.

"The deal expires in 2035, at which point Bonilla will have been paid $29.8 million for a season in which he did not even play for the Mets."

:laughlol: :laughlol:

No, Bobby Bonilla is not worth that much. But the Player's Union is a force to be reckoned with. I can hardly think of any other career where you can get paid $30 million for doing literally nothing. Even CEOs have to sign on the dotted line a couple times a day. Jesus Christ.

Income inequality, yada yada.

I advocate strict salary caps at levels that qualify as "a King's Ransom" to the everyman, but this is just ridiculous. Sure, go ahead and pay your stars $10M per year. But at least put in some degree of reasonability in these deals.

One thing I'd change? If you're going to pay players so much for performing, don't pay players for not performing. Start with a base salary of around $400k, and if they play well, have huge upsides in the millions for performance. That would definitely motivate players to play harder, not only during their walk year, but every year. No bonuses for being injured, but don't take away their base salary either.

I just don't like how MLB and its players think that they and the sport should be exempt from the rest of society's rules.

Like how MLB is exempt from anti-trust litigation.

If I don't come into work, I don't get paid; period. My retirement will be a fixed amount that is so low that I will be unable to afford basic necessities at the end of my life. If I perform poorly, I'm likely to get fired. And no, the company won't keep paying out the rest of my yearly salary after they let me go.

Anticipated objection: "But you're obviously not as valuable as these star players are!"

Sure. Someone who keeps critical infrastructure running is not as valuable as someone who swings a bat for entertainment. Riiiight. Keep on telling yourself that and watch our society crumble.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Bonilla#cite_note-2' rel="external nofollow">

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anticipated objection: "But you're obviously not as valuable as these star players are!"

Sure. Someone who keeps critical infrastructure running is not as valuable as someone who swings a bat for entertainment. Riiiight. Keep on telling yourself that and watch our society crumble.

2767638386_d8efc6fb1f.jpg

Why do teams tolerate deals like this? I can't fathom how any player could be worth paying that much for that long out of pocket.

"The deal expires in 2035, at which point Bonilla will have been paid $29.8 million for a season in which he did not even play for the Mets."

No, Bobby Bonilla is not worth that much. But the Player's Union is a force to be reckoned with. I can hardly think of any other career where you can get paid $30 million for doing literally nothing. Even CEOs have to sign on the dotted line a couple times a day. Jesus Christ.

I advocate strict salary caps at levels that qualify as "a King's Ransom" to the everyman, but this is just ridiculous. Sure, go ahead and pay your stars $10M per year. But at least put in some degree of reasonability in these deals.

One thing I'd change? If you're going to pay players so much for performing, don't pay players for not performing. Start with a base salary of around $400k, and if they play well, have huge upsides in the millions for performance. That would definitely motivate players to play harder, not only during their walk year, but every year. No bonuses for being injured, but don't take away their base salary either.

I just don't like how MLB and its players think that they and the sport should be exempt from the rest of society's rules.

If I don't come into work, I don't get paid; period. My retirement will be a fixed amount that is so low that I will be unable to afford basic necessities at the end of my life. If I perform poorly, I'm likely to get fired. And no, the company won't keep paying out the rest of my yearly salary after they let me go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Bonilla#cite_note-2' rel="external nofollow">

$5.9 million in 2000 dollars, which is then restructured to begin payment in 2011 and end in 2035, at 8% interest, ends up as $30 million. Seriously. The future value of $5.9 million from 2000 is quite a bit after 35 years.

The only thing particularly generous is the 8% in interest. That's a pretty solid rate of return especially in the environment of low inflation we've been in.

I don't see how that's true at all. Baseball brings in roughly $8B in revenues a year. Something like 40% of that goes to player salaries. Where else should it go? What other company operating under society's rules would do something more altruistic with their revenues and profits?

The deal actually was a better choice for the Mets and Bonilla. If the Mets took the 6 million in and invested it in a compound interest fund the grew monthly at 8% which is less then they were getting with Bernie Madoff at the time. That 6 million is worth just a shade below 19.8 million today. They now keep that monty into the account and the interest each year is 1.2 million th exact same they are paying him. So they basically are just paying him interest on the investment at 8% and when 2025 comes up their 6 million they put in can be taken out of the account and worth 20 million.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/01/bobby-bonillas-isnt-the-only-deferred-money-deal-in-the-game-and-isnt-even-the-worst/

My favorite one, however, has to be from my Atlanta Braves, who tried to make a big splash by signing Bruce Sutter before the 1985 season. He was a bust of course, but this is how he was paid. From a 1985 New York Times report:

Bruce Sutter was to receive payments totaling $44 million over the next 36 years from his new club, the Atlanta Braves . . . Sutter will receive a $750,000 salary for each of the next six years and a minimum of $1.12 million a year for the remaining 30 years of the contract. In addition, he will get the $9.1 million in so-called “principal” at the end.

Bruce. Sutter. And you think Bobby Bonilla’s deal was a bad one.

$5.9 million in 2000 dollars, which is then restructured to begin payment in 2011 and end in 2035, at 8% interest, ends up as $30 million. Seriously. The future value of $5.9 million from 2000 is quite a bit after 35 years.

The only thing particularly generous is the 8% in interest. That's a pretty solid rate of return especially in the environment of low inflation we've been in.

The prime rate in 2000 was 8.5 percent. Bonillas's 8% was conservative at the time.

Archived