vs. TWINS, 7/07

OFFNY

I agree with the adage "You're never as bad as you look" and its corollary. Even with the mini slumps, they're still 1.5 out (or 2.5 if NY wins ). Could be much worse (see Boston, while playing better, in a much deeper hole). I have faith a winning cluster of games are on the way. I do hope Buck has a talk to them, as someone mentioned. They are better than this.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We always do this after falling behind by a large amount.

I have wondered sometimes if there could be a statistic that reflects a "meaningful contribution at bat". In the first inning, there were two runners on second and third. A ground ball, a fly ball, a bunt, an error, etc. would have scored one, maybe two runs. Any of those should have a weighted plus "meaningful contribution" (not just a sacrifice fly or average with RISP). If a hitter moves a runner along in a close ballgame, that should be weighted as a plus "meaningful contribution". If it is a close game, then ALL meaningful contributions should be recognized as a cumulative statistic- and, on the other side, "meaningless contributions"- like getting a single or a homer in the seventh inning in a game that is 8-0 would be very much down weighted. And frankly negative contributions- like striking out in the above close game situations would be markedly weighted against the player. There really is not a statistic that measures the small, but meaningful contributions.

I agree with the adage "You're never as bad as you look" and its corollary. Even with the mini slumps, they're still 1.5 out (or 2.5 if NY wins ). Could be much worse (see Boston). I have faith a winning cluster of games are on the way. I do hope Buck has a talk to them, as someone mentioned. They are better than this.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Red Sox have won 8 of 11 I believe.

I have wondered sometimes if there could be a statistic that reflects a "meaningful contribution at bat". In the first inning, there were two runners on second and third. A ground ball, a fly ball, a bunt, an error, etc. would have scored one, maybe two runs. Any of those should have a weighted plus "meaningful contribution" (not just a sacrifice fly or average with RISP). If a hitter moves a runner along in a close ballgame, that should be weighted as a plus "meaningful contribution". If it is a close game, then ALL meaningful contributions should be recognized as a cumulative statistic- and, on the other side, "meaningless contributions"- like getting a single or a homer in the seventh inning in a game that is 8-0 would be very much down weighted. And frankly negative contributions- like striking out in the above close game situations would be markedly weighted against the player. There really is not a statistic that measures the small, but meaningful contributions.

They used to say Arod got a lot of homers in garbage time.

Archived