Orioles interested in Justin Upton, others

jamesenoch

Except for the fact that signing Cruz, Markakis, and Miller would have resulted in cuts elsewhere to keep the payroll where it is now. And the forced reliance on expensive, aging, and injury-prone players over the next three seasons.

My point is if the team was going to go all in this season you sign those guys. Now we lost those guys and are now talking about trading prospects for rentals. If you are going all in this year it should have been done in the offseason.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My point is if the team was going to go all in this season you sign those guys. Now we lost those guys and are now talking about trading prospects for rentals. If you are going all in this year it should have been done in the offseason.

Duquette prefers to keep some budget for the trade waiver deadline so he can use it if the team is close enough to go for it. OTOH, San Diego preferred your approach last off-season and is now a seller. You can't prepare for a sure thing, because there are no sure things.

Nobody outside of fans ever said anything about going all in. There was never any indication that anyone with an responsibility to the organization ever even hinted that even a short-term large payroll increase was a possibility. This idea of a $20M-$50M payroll bump is a figment of the imaginations of overenthusiastic fans.

If we could have signed those guys for one year we might have, but they both got 4-year deals. GM's don't just think just this season. The Ravens do not work that way either. The bigger issue is that our top prospects are not panning out due to injury mostly.

If you try to build a team around every guy outperforming their contract then you are not likely to have a very good team. Markakis has a .400 OBP while playing pretty sound defense and being an important part of the teams chemistry. I am with you on the fact that it was justifiable to let him walk if you thought that Snider/De Aza could provide adequate or exceeding production. I actually liked the Orioles approach there. But letting Cruz walk hurt as he was a legit middle of the order guy. Even I he gave you two good years, an adequate year and a down year he would be worth his contract.

You can absolutely build around most players outperforming their contracts. MLB and the union makes that relatively easy by allowing you to pay pre-arb players a tiny fraction of their market value, and pay arb players at a substantial discount. If you structure your team so that most of your players are in those categories you'll do okay. If you rely on a substantial number of 30-something year old free agents you will probably fail with a $120M budget.

If you try to build a team around every guy outperforming their contract then you are not likely to have a very good team. Markakis has a .400 OBP while playing pretty sound defense and being an important part of the teams chemistry. I am with you on the fact that it was justifiable to let him walk if you thought that Snider/De Aza could provide adequate or exceeding production. I actually liked the Orioles approach there. But letting Cruz walk hurt as he was a legit middle of the order guy. Even I he gave you two good years, an adequate year and a down year he would be worth his contract.

Yup, Cruz shouldn't be lumped in with Nick and Miller, imo. The 3 mistakes I thought were not signing Cruz and signing both De Aza and Hardy - though I understand the thinking on Hardy.

Going forward, I'd be very hesitant to trade the assets it would take to trade for a rental of Upton.

http://fansided.com/2015/07/20/johnny-cueto-trade-rumors-orioles-interested/

Seeing articles like this, linking us to Cueto and Jay Bruce honestly drive me nuts. We don't have the prospects to do anything. It's all just so silly.

What would it take to get Jay Bruce? Gausman obviously off the table - what package could we put together to get him. He would make an excellent replacement for Chris Davis moving forward - certainly more consistent. He has a deal that runs through 2016 at $12.8 million and a team option for $13 million in 2017. I think he would complement Jones very well and tremendously help our offense during the stretch run.

So would a Bundy, Sisco, and Davies package be not enough? Too much?

Duquette prefers to keep some budget for the trade waiver deadline so he can use it if the team is close enough to go for it. OTOH, San Diego preferred your approach last off-season and is now a seller. You can't prepare for a sure thing, because there are no sure things.

Good take. He signs a bunch of guys to fill holes and then sees if anyone sticks. Which I'm fine with. But you have to be ready to be aggressive and take risks around deadline time.

I don't get the interest in Bruce. He's too similar to what we already have. Plus I worry about him moving out of the NL and that bandbox in Cinncy. The sooner we get a high OBP guy at leadoff the better.

Good take. He signs a bunch of guys to fill holes and then sees if anyone sticks. Which I'm fine with. But you have to be ready to be aggressive and take risks around deadline time.

I don't get the interest in Bruce. He's too similar to what we already have. Plus I worry about him moving out of the NL and that bandbox in Cinncy. The sooner we get a high OBP guy at leadoff the better.

I thought we had one of those?

Jay Bruce could become Nelson Cruz. He has huge real power.

Archived