Wild Idea: Offer O'Day the QO

Aristotelian

Something interesting and maybe the anomaly, but JP Howell just exercised his player option at $6M+ with the Dodgers, as opposed to testing the open market for a long term deal but at lower AAV.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Six plus is a lot for a reliever. Especially a non-closer. A lot.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
YEP... :agree: Himm and lets see how many MLB players have ever accepted a QO again?

How many of them were setup men? This is a bad idea. I love DOD but he'd almost certainly accept the QO and that would really prevent us from signing quality elsewhere. The thought of spending ~$40M on DOD, Hardy and Jimenez is terrifying.

How many of them were setup men? This is a bad idea. I love DOD but he'd almost certainly accept the QO and that would really prevent us from signing quality elsewhere. The thought of spending ~$40M on DOD, Hardy and Jimenez is terrifying.

Well I respectfully disagree I don't care setup man or what ever till I see ONE MLB player accept one I stick with he won't and we'll get the pick.

Well I respectfully disagree I don't care setup man or what ever till I see ONE MLB player accept one I stick with he won't and we'll get the pick.

Really?

Think of it like this: The QO is just like the NFL Franchise Tag, except here there's only one number for all positions. Would you give your long-snapper the franchise tag if the salary were the same as for top QBs?

I think it is something worth strong consideration. I think the chances that the QO would be accepted are much lower than 100%. It would obviously be more money than you would prefer to spend, but this is a risk that comes with potential reward too. I am not saying that the O's should offer it. Just that I think I would not dismiss it so quickly. To say that it is the equivalent of offering Franchise QB Tag money to a long snapper paints a nice picture. Just not an accurate one. I could overpay anyone I really like for one year.

And it is still Scott Boras.

Even if the going rate for 2.5 WAR long snappers was $7M a year, with the possibility of finding a halfway reasonable replacement for $500k?

Just a long snapper, replacement level is about high school athlete level of skill set. Unless they can do something else, whatever the league minimum is should be the maximum.

They have monopoly money there, and a 300+ million dollar payroll.

They hired a guy (Friedman) to get that down a bit. And lost their star manager over a monetary issue. It sounds like they may be hiring someone for far less than the 10 million he got at his new employer.

I think it is something worth strong consideration. I think the chances that the QO would be accepted are much lower than 100%. It would obviously be more money than you would prefer to spend, but this is a risk that comes with potential reward too. I am not saying that the O's should offer it. Just that I think I would not dismiss it so quickly. To say that it is the equivalent of offering Franchise QB Tag money to a long snapper paints a nice picture. Just not an accurate one. I could overpay anyone I really like for one year.

And it is still Scott Boras.

Well said my exact thoughts O'Day is going to get paid one way or another I still think IMHO he will NOT ACCEPT IT, and then we get the pick.

IF he does fine (He'll be the 1st one ever) and we get maybe the best middle reliever in MLB for another year.

Well said my exact thoughts O'Day is going to get paid one way or another I still think IMHO he will NOT ACCEPT IT, and then we get the pick.

IF he does fine (He'll be the 1st one ever) and we get maybe the best middle reliever in MLB for another year.

While also blowing the budget.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived